PDA

View Full Version : Desperately seeking sposorship

jimmyj
29th Nov 2001, 01:46
Is it such a crime to want to be a pilot?

I have recently passed R.A.F aptitude tests and know that I have the 'right stuff' but unfortunately my eyes are slightly uncooperative and I am 6ft 4" which is also a set back. Despite these problems I am determined to fly for a living but do not have rich parents and cannot afford to pay for myself! I have an application underway to the Royal Navy and am a university graduate. Does anyone know of any possible way to get sponsored?

I would be willing to work for my sponsors for peanuts for the rest of my life, paying back their investment 10-fold, living in a box if I have too!

Please help,
Liam.

fantum farter
29th Nov 2001, 02:56
Checking your spelling would be an advantage.

I am not being sarcastic or the spelling police but that attention to detail is something employers will look for.

I wish you luck in your quest but I don't think there will be a lot of sponsors for a while.

It took me about ten years to get sponsored. So if like me you don't succeed first time keep trying and hopefuly one day you will.

flite idol
29th Nov 2001, 06:24
Yeah I cant spell worth a toss either so I cant find the mistakes in his post.

Gunner B12
29th Nov 2001, 12:15
flite idol

That’s because there aren’t any. Try cutting and pasting it into word and running the spell checker over it, the only thing I could find was that underway should be under way.

fantum farter

See my post on spell checking then try it yourself. As you got hopefully wrong.
:D :D :D

redsnail
29th Nov 2001, 13:52
If you look in the topic header it's there. You can't edit it once you have posted that, unlike the message itself.

As for the question itself. I don't think there will be many sponsorships for a while. However, a week is a long time in aviation so keep your eye out.

bow5
29th Nov 2001, 14:04
Yorkshire lad, maybe you might be able to give me a little bit of information.

I'm a bit like you, graduate always wanted to be a pilot and passed RAF selection but am 6ft 5 so no Tucanos for me! I was going to pursue commercial flying but the poor job prospects big debts etc have put me off and I decided to go back to the RAF but obviously not as a pilot. I had heard about the chance of being a Navy helicopter pilot (assuming that's what you're doing) and wondered if it was possible given the height issue. I think i'm right in saying the Navy use Cranwell to select pilots so I assumed the same barriers would block my way.

Cheers.

Harry Wragg
29th Nov 2001, 16:53
No crime in wanting to be a pilot, realistically however, you have to consider your prospective career in aviation as a means of keeping a roof over your head. You might be keen to work for peanut's now, but once you are qualified reality sets in and you will probably end up like everyone else.

Sponorship's are thin on the ground, so you have to formulate an alternative plan.

1) Get into BIG debt to pay for an approved CAP 509 course.

2) Get a real job and use the money to pay for lesson's.

3) Marry someone who is rich (I have seen this one work once, daddy had a Learjet).

4) Keep dreaming and go about your every day business until you are too old to change.

The question is, how badly do you want to do this job, and it is a job.

Harry

jimmyj
29th Nov 2001, 17:21
Bow5:

With regards to the Navy, the issue is whether they select for all aircraft from the start. If they do then you and I are both out of luck as we would be too tall for Sea Harriers. The R.A.F review officer that I spoke to after OASC at Cranwell told me the Navy select for helicopters only at first and then Harrier pilots are selected from those who performed highest during initial flight training. Thus, we would be able to forge a career in choppers.

My application form has been sent off but, as yet, I have not received a reply. When I do I will let you know the result as, if I am allowed to proceed to the next stage of application, this will mean they initially focus on helicopter selection.

And yes, both Navy and Army aircrew selection and initial flight training is done at Cranwell.

flite idol
29th Nov 2001, 19:03
Yep gunner b 12 I was being a bit on the ironic side.! But I`m sure PFFFFFFSSSSST only has five F`s in it and too one O in this case. Yorkshire Lad good luck with the career, you are facing the same dilemma many others have faced in recent history but things can and will change fairly quickly so do what you can to get involved at what ever level and be ready, for opportunity will return. All the best.

Olly O'Leg
29th Nov 2001, 21:13
Yorkshire - big up yerself!!! I too am from the centre of the universe!!! From what stage of application you're stating, I'm not sure what use this will be to you, but when I was applying for the RAF (took me four goes to get in) I came across the Air League who, amongst other things, "Promote Air-Mindedness in Youths". I tried to get some sponsorship from them as they offer their own Flying Scholarship - try www.Airleague.co.uk (http://www.Airleague.co.uk) for starters. I'd give you the snail-mail address, but it's at home and I'm nowhere near there at the mo!!! Best of luck mate - tough deal with the legs. I too am a lanky streak and just scraped it by the skin of my teeth!!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

Captain Chaos 747
30th Nov 2001, 06:05
Keep your chin up.

I just got my first airline job.

YIPEEEEEEEE! :)

bow5
30th Nov 2001, 13:08
Cheers Yorkshire lad. I thought i'd just mention that I also, am a Yorkshire lad. Just like Dr Dre, from the West Side.

It would be good if you could let me know how you get on with the Navy. I did think about it and went to the careers office in Leeds but they seemed unsure about the height thing being a factor. I then rang the Navy 'head office' in Manchester and gave them my Cranwell measurements and they thought my legs were too long, again i'm not sure if that was for Harriers and choppers.

Talking about banging your head against a brick bloody wall! At least i've got my Warrior to put-put around the sky in. Scant consolation but consolation all the same I guess.

Hwel
30th Nov 2001, 15:03
Try Air Atlantique in Coventry.
Probably nothing right this minute but I would bet they're the most likely airline to continue sponsership/sponsorship/sponsarshi oh to hell with it Fuglying ;-)

jimmyj
30th Nov 2001, 21:37
I can't imagine why so many of you people would spend the time to post a reply to my message and focus on petty spelling mistakes. I have left school now and was not filling out a job application, merely seeking some informal information whilst listening to music and drinking a cup of coffee.

We are supposed to be like minded people sharing a passion for aviation. Instead, some of you seem to want to score points off me due to bad spelling.

Can I also take this opportunity to say;

THANK YOU GEORGE HARRISON, REST IN PEACE!

Huwey
1st Dec 2001, 01:41
Try going to www.plh.co.uk (http://www.plh.co.uk) (contact details on this site).....Whilst I have self sponsored, it was through a business plan which I put together with the help of these aviation consultants.

As a fresher at uni, I was told by someone from the University Air Squadron that becasue of my four eyes that I would not get in. Despite my passion for all things aviation I felt put off by this and stupidly never tried for military selection.
I now have Career Development Loans and other loans (unsecured) which I have only been introduced to through these consultants. I would not at a local helicopter school as an instructor now or be well on my way to a CPL(H) without there help. No pain ..no gain I'm afaid. At least look them up and do your research. Any probs , give me another shout.

piperindian
2nd Dec 2001, 21:14
you will be desesperate for a long time because nobody is sponsoring at the moment
I would not go for the self-improvement route either, the current airline industry is an aboslute mess.
You did well however to try the RAF, its a good way to build experience.
As working for peanuts, when you will grow up you will see that nothing comes for free and everyone has to earn a living (excepted if you were born billionaire).