PDA

View Full Version : Will's chopper job

tartare
28th Jul 2017, 01:45
OK - Palace PR, and a warm fuzzy story (http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170727-what-has-prince-williams-air-ambulance-job-involved).
But you still get the sense that William is a good bloke. Pretty grounded and sensible.

28th Jul 2017, 06:06
And he is a good bloke who doesn't do airs and graces despite his position:ok:

paco
28th Jul 2017, 06:55
A job well done. I hope the memories help cope with the smell of new paint everywhere :)

Phil

Homsap
28th Jul 2017, 08:57
Something that still puzzles me is does Bond operate a two man crew on their air ambulances, if so it would be an expensive way to operate.

To add, I do not recall ever seeing a police or air ambulance, rotary operation with more than pilot, unless it was during training and check flights.

QTG
28th Jul 2017, 10:56
Its not Bond anymore its Babcock, and some HEMS/AA operations are SP, some are MP - customer choice.

OvertHawk
28th Jul 2017, 11:05
That operation is, as I understand it, Multi Pilot due to their 24 hr role (inc NVG).

Homsap
28th Jul 2017, 13:20
Overhawk and QTG ...... That makes sence in respect custmer choice and night flyin and night landings.

In the case of HRH, it makes sense him being multicrew for a variety of reasons including security, I happy he completed his last sortie without any security issues, but odd that the media stated when is last shift would be!

There also used to be a rumour that HRH never went solo during RAF training, can anyone confirm or dismiss that? I find it difficult to beleive.

nigelh
28th Jul 2017, 16:32
His training is exactly the same as anyone else's ....it makes no doubt difference who you are .

MOSTAFA
29th Jul 2017, 07:56
His training is exactly the same as anyone else's ....it makes no doubt difference who you are .

I don't think anybody gives a stuff either way nige but you know that statement ain't quite correct have you forgotten the days when RAF stations all but closed when a red helicopter flew in the same county - Shawbury even had some daft rule that your car had to be parked somewhere else.

OvertHawk
29th Jul 2017, 13:33
"Forgotten the days" being the appropriate phrase MOSTAFA.

There's not been protected airspace for Royal Helicopter flights for almost two decades!

Bravo73
29th Jul 2017, 22:58
Missing woman hit by police van in Hethel has died - Latest Norfolk and Suffolk News - Eastern Daily Press (http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/missing-woman-hit-by-police-van-in-hethel-has-died-1-5126996)

Homsap
30th Jul 2017, 10:15
Was HRH given an exemption for corrective vision upon entering RAF flying training, or is that allowed these days? Just wondered.

hoodie
30th Jul 2017, 12:16
Didn't have spectacles when at Valley,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTntJwJ6Rlw

Homsap
30th Jul 2017, 14:29
I feel sure he did before, but may be wrong, contact lenses?

30th Jul 2017, 15:56
Yes, he wore glasses to fly, just like a whole load of other military pilots.

paco
30th Jul 2017, 16:46
I had a general ask about mine, and I told him not to worry, I took them off for flying :)

Homsap
30th Jul 2017, 16:55
Is corrective vision allowed in the RAF for ab initio now, it's just I asked this question to a RAF UAS squadron commander in relation to my daughter, but he wasn't sure. Does anyone know lnow the answer, I should add my daughter is only very distantly related to the Queen, as we all are.