PDA

View Full Version : More than half UK international airports lack free drinking water fountains

PAXboy
26th Jul 2017, 14:10
No suprises.

Travellers are left to buy expensive and wasteful plastic bottles of water after passing through security, says consumer website MoneySavingExpert.com

MSE asked 30 UK international airports if passengers can fill up free of charge at a water fountain after going through security. While many of the bigger airports, including Heathrow, Gatwick, Manchester and Stansted, do have fountains on the airside, 18 said they did not. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/26/more-than-half-uk-international-airports-lack-free-drinking-water-fountains

Alanwsg
26th Jul 2017, 16:54
You can always just ask in a bar to fill up your bottle, I've never been refused.
Licensed venues that supply alcohol have a legal obligation to supply drinking water free.

S.o.S.
27th Jul 2017, 01:48
Thank you Alanwsg, very helpful.

Reverserbucket
27th Jul 2017, 09:29
More than half UK international airports lack free drinking water fountains
Why offer something for free when there's an opportunity for your captive market to make a purchase? I have to admit, it's never crossed my mind before but thinking now, I can't recall airports elsewhere that don't provide drinking fountains. Places such as the U.S., for example, whatever you may think of them, do tend to have a more civic minded approach to their customers.

PAXboy
27th Jul 2017, 12:49
If i recall correctly, many of the US airports are owned and run by their local State? That is, not commercial?

vctenderness
27th Jul 2017, 16:57
.....and none of them have a trough for the horses:)

ExXB
27th Jul 2017, 17:26
Take your empty water bottle through security. If nowhere else convenient go to the loos and fill up your bottle from the sink faucet. Same water that the drinking fountain, or the bars, would give you.

Piltdown Man
28th Jul 2017, 00:03
...or fly with someone who includes water as part of the package. But I agree, British airports are a disgrace. Their pernicious greed starts before you enter. Every single square foot is considered to be an opportunity for them to screw you out of a few quid and these filth don't care how they do it. They will use anti-terrorism legislation to get your car registration so they can fine you for parking in restricted zones. But everywhere is restricted except for their paid car parks. So, if ever you have the chance, make sure you get one in.

28th Jul 2017, 00:17
You can always just ask in a bar to fill up your bottle, I've never been refused.
Licensed venues that supply alcohol have a legal obligation to supply drinking water free.
The problem is that once airside in the UK, the licensing act doesn't apply so the bars there don't have to comply with the requirement to provide free water.
They may well give water but they are not obligated to do so.

Reverserbucket
28th Jul 2017, 10:00
ExXB
If nowhere else convenient go to the loos and fill up your bottle from the sink faucet. Same water that the drinking fountain, or the bars, would give you. The problem with that is that at all the UK airports I can think of, the faucet outputs are mixed (hot and cold stream) so not certain I'd like to drink the warm stuff as it's most likely supplied from a tank. That in addition to them being automatically activated - it's hard enough sometimes getting the things to dispense water to rinse hands and I suspect attempting to fill a water bottle would be quite tedious.

PAXboy
If i recall correctly, many of the US airports are owned and run by their local State? Quite, or by the city or municipality served in the case of a number of large US airports hence my comment about civic mindedness; I'm not a huge fan of most large US airports but there is something about them that makes them a little warmer than most UK ones.

One thing that I find particularly irksome, and especially at LHR is the cash only National Express hotel shuttles; I have occasional need to use airport hotels around Heathrow outside of work and seldom carry cash or change around these days. I can't think of any hotel I have used in recent years elsewhere in the EU that charges for transfer from or to the airport yet I must pay up to GBP7 to travel in a bus that usually makes multiple stops to reach my destination; I'm a local but how many visitors who have just stepped off of an aircraft from outside of the UK have cash to pay for this service? The busses are normally packed so the answer must be that they are much better prepared than I am :(

DaveReidUK
28th Jul 2017, 17:39
Heathrow's terminal maps on their website indicate the location of water fountains (usually adjacent to the loos), but in my experience (of T5 at least) they aren't there when you look for them.

wiggy
28th Jul 2017, 17:49
One thing that I find particularly irksome, and especially at LHR is the cash only National Express hotel shuttles;

One of my pet peeves as well, since they are chuffing expensive.

I know I am going off topic and I'm I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir regarding LHR but if there's more than 2 of you in a group it is often cheaper to book a "private" taxi than use a Hopper ...and of course if you are "brave" enough to use public transport and not encumbered by too much baggage you can easily get to a lot of the LHR hotels for free using the buses that stay within the TfL free travel zone (roughly the "perimeter road", including the Bath Road along the north side, as far east as Harlington corner and then towards Hatton Cross.)

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Company/Static/PDF/Heathrowcommuter/travel_around_Heathrow.pdf

Peter47
28th Jul 2017, 19:19
Its a pet peeve of mine, culprits include LCY & SEN. Totally agree about mixed taps although it takes a while for the water to heat up and you can add a purification tablet (although you are not likely to carry them on a business trip).

No frills carriers try and charge you for water (and try getting served in turbulence).

That said I saw a bottle filling up station in LHR T4. They should be everywhere. Could you include it in an airport operating licence? (OK unlikely.)

carousel
29th Jul 2017, 15:46
STN has one fountain landside and two airside,however would not recommend using horrible taste and lukewarm.

RAT 5
29th Jul 2017, 16:07
UK tap water is the worst I've ever tasted.

Economics101
29th Jul 2017, 21:47
I don't know about free water at drinking fountains, but Dublin has "Plane Water" at €1 per 0.5 litre bottle. It's available at or near information desks and payment is on an honour basis. Apparently 92% of travellers are honourable people.

I presume it has put some pressure on other airport outlets to moderate their prices

ZFT
30th Jul 2017, 00:14
Its a pet peeve of mine, culprits include LCY & SEN. Totally agree about mixed taps although it takes a while for the water to heat up and you can add a purification tablet (although you are not likely to carry them on a business trip).

No frills carriers try and charge you for water (and try getting served in turbulence).

That said I saw a bottle filling up station in LHR T4. They should be everywhere. Could you include it in an airport operating licence? (OK unlikely.)

Why should you be served in turbulence?

abgd
30th Jul 2017, 01:48
Where the 'War against Terror' meets cut-throat capitalism. Qui bono?

t1grm
31st Jul 2017, 20:30
Take your empty water bottle through security. If nowhere else convenient go to the loos and fill up your bottle from the sink faucet. Same water that the drinking fountain, or the bars, would give you.

Can't do that if your water bottle is over 100ml. Carry on liquid rules apply to container size. Doesn't say they have to have liquid in them.

ExXB
31st Jul 2017, 20:45
Are you certain? An empty container carries no liquid, hence the rules applicable to liquids do not apply. Of course a 250ml bottle with about 10% left will fail, as no one at security could estimate what 10% of 250 is.

P.S we regularly take empty bottles in our hand luggage at Swiss airports and some UK airports. They go through in the carry-on and never heard a peep.

t1grm
31st Jul 2017, 20:47
Pretty sure that's how I read it. Whether it's enforced like that or not is a different matter. Will dig out a link.

t1grm
31st Jul 2017, 20:49
Liquids in containers larger than 100ml generally can’t go through security even if the container is only part full. There are some exemptions.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

Or:

The Department for Transport does not prohibit the carriage of empty water bottles through security in hand luggage

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Baggage/What-items-can-I-travel-with/

Go figure...

wiggy
31st Jul 2017, 20:50
Agree with the above....The rules are a bit of a grey area....I'll ask those in the know in the AM..in the meantime:

If you read the transec/DfT sites you'll see it is open to interpretation as to whether it is open to interpretation...but I do know that when the liquids ban kicked off security were confiscating liquids containers with a volume of more than 100 ml, regardless of whether they were full, partially full or empty. I think the rules have relaxed a bit recently but chapter and verse is here:

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

Liquids in containers larger than 100ml generally can’t go through security even if the container is only part full. There are some exemptions.

DaveReidUK
31st Jul 2017, 22:13
If an empty container capable of holding more than 100ml of liquid isn't allowed through security then you wouldn't be able to pack a pair of shoes in your carry-on.

Unless you have very small feet. :O

abgd
31st Jul 2017, 22:17
Can you take a tub of ice through security?

ExXB
1st Aug 2017, 06:33
I've heard of people that require ice to cool medical items being refused, but are sent to the nearest cafe to replace it.

Frio makes a water filled gel pack to help cooling insulin, and they are not banned.

In the latter the only way to get the water out is through evaporation.

Peter47
4th Aug 2017, 17:22
What I do is to take the lid off my water bottle and put it my pocket when going through security. If stopped I will argue that it is no longer a container as it won't contain anything. Luckily I've never had to do so.

Mark in CA
5th Aug 2017, 10:18
Wife recently took an approx. 0.5 liter empty metal water bottle through security for an intra-Schengen flight. No problem.

Pegpilot
5th Aug 2017, 21:56
You could always nip in to WH Smith airside and buy a Daily Telegraph and get a half litre bottle of water for free. But seriously, haven't we got bigger fish to fry than this ? Recently moved up north and now using Manchester for the first time. I had the temerity to leave my asthma inhaler in my hand baggage last month and not in the plastic bag I was supposed to use. It delayed me by 20 minutes and they left me in no doubt that in their eyes I was no better than dog dirt on their shoes. Best leave it there before I say something I'll REALLY regret....

abgd
5th Aug 2017, 22:57
Better still, you could buy a bottle of water and not have to waste an unwanted newspaper.

ExXB
6th Aug 2017, 09:28
Pegpilot. Medical supplies are not required to be in a plastic bag. My insulin travels in it's frio cooling wallet.

Medical supplies are exempt from the liquids rule.

Coquelet
6th Aug 2017, 11:48
I always carry an empty 250 ml plastic bottle in my bag through the security check. Very rarely, they have asked to look at it, and when seeing it's empty, they have always let it pass.

wiggy
7th Aug 2017, 10:01
To quote myself re empty containers..
.I'll ask those in the know in the AM..in the meantime:

I did, eventually, LHR T5 ..empty containers/bottles/etc ( e.g cycling bidons) OK.

PTR 175
7th Aug 2017, 15:30
Wiggy

I think you will find the local buses in and around LHR are free. This is a result of loosing the foot tunnel into the terminals 1-2 and 3. They will take oyster cash etc but are free if you ask.

DaveReidUK
7th Aug 2017, 16:06
It's always good to know that if you can't find a drinking water fountain in the terminal, you can nip over to the Three Magpies to fill up your bidon. :O

wiggy
7th Aug 2017, 17:15
Wiggy, I think you will find the local buses in and around LHR are free.

Err, yep, correct, know that..used the 482 just the other day, I'm a regular on a couple of the others.....( Must admit I'm now tempted by DR's idea....:E)

Reverserbucket
8th Aug 2017, 13:15
My earlier remark concerning the Hotel Hoppa services :yuk: to get to local hotels lead to Wiggy's helpful reminder that TfL busses are free in and out of LHR to stops on the airport perimeter; indeed, I've used them many times for the Bath Road hotels if meeting up with mates for sharpeners after a trip. But not all hotels that purport to serve LHR are on the perimeter (or even that close for that matter); the 'Windsor Marriott' for example is actually in Langley and accessed via Colnbrook; there are two Hilton's - one is a 10 min walk from T4 and the other requires a cab or Hoppa which makes numerous stops en-route and is quite different to hotel shuttles I've experienced elsewhere.

The Pheasant in Harlington would be my preferred choice for refuelling; easily walkable from Bath Road TfL Bus Stops and a decent Tandoori just 5 mins away....only downside is they're both landside :(

Reverserbucket
8th Aug 2017, 13:16
My earlier remark concerning the Hotel Hoppa services :yuk: to get to local hotels lead to Wiggy's helpful reminder that TfL busses are free in and out of LHR to stops on the airport perimeter; indeed, I've used them many times for the Bath Road hotels if meeting up with mates for sharpeners after a trip. But not all hotels that purport to serve LHR are on the perimeter (or even that close for that matter); the 'Windsor Marriott' for example is actually in Langley and accessed via Colnbrook; there are two Hilton's - one is a 10 min walk from T4 and the other requires a cab or Hoppa which makes numerous stops en-route and is quite different to hotel shuttles I've experienced elsewhere.

The Pheasant in Harlington would be my preferred choice for refuelling; easily walkable from Bath Road TfL Bus Stops and a decent Tandoori just 5 mins away....only downside is they're both landside :(

Reverserbucket
1st Sep 2017, 09:44
I noticed a couple of time this week passing through LHR T5 departures that free, prominent water stations for filling drinking bottles have now been installed upstairs airside by the escalators.

Metro man
2nd Sep 2017, 03:51
The local buses around Heathrow are only free within a certain radius, check carefully or you could be up for fare evasion. Very useful if you know the system, but going back to the airport usually requires a walk along and across Bath road.

Chinese airports have hot and cold water dispensers available so you can avoid extortionate prices by bringing your own mug and tea bags. Unfortunately passengers then think they are free to use the aircraft galley as well.

Another thumbs up for the Three Magpies, but how does it get so crowded when it's almost in the middle of nowhere ?

DaveReidUK
2nd Sep 2017, 07:02
I noticed a couple of time this week passing through LHR T5 departures that free, prominent water stations for filling drinking bottles have now been installed upstairs airside by the escalators.

Interesting.

It's taken Heathrow a month (so far) not to reply to my question to them about the T5 water fountains:

Heathrow's terminal maps on their website indicate the location of water fountains (usually adjacent to the loos), but in my experience (of T5 at least) they aren't there when you look for them.

I'm not holding my breath.

wiggy
2nd Sep 2017, 07:23
Another thumbs up for the Three Magpies...

Shhh...don't tell everybody.

?...but how does it get so crowded when it's almost in the middle of nowhere ?

Despite appearances it's not really in the middle of nowhere...aside from local hotels such as the Park Inn directly opposite, and various B&Bs there's actually quite a bit of residential development tucked away behind the garage over the road and further east along the north side of the Bath Road. There are also housing estates up the road opposite the pub that leads up to Sipson (the A408/Sipson Road).

Skipness One Echo
5th Sep 2017, 08:59
You can of course take an empty bottle through security if it is over 100ml.
Who told you it wasn't allowed? If security, was it MAN? They are in a different league.

ViscountFan
5th Sep 2017, 10:30
UK tap water is the worst I've ever tasted.

Really? Have you never been to Fuerteventura or Williams, Arizona? A few other places spring to mind.