PDA

View Full Version : Flying Schools with string of engine failures and accidents

theflyingkukie
25th Jul 2017, 00:22
Hi there.
Is it worth considering starting flight training with a school that has had a few incidents with forced landing engine failures happen to students and at one point a fatality in the past few years?

Thanks Guys

ausflyer
25th Jul 2017, 07:27
Incoming....................take cover................alert alert.................................

Stay tuned folks. This will be worth watching.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Jul 2017, 07:42
Re ' has had a few incidents with forced landing engine failures happen to students '.....

Excellent training, if we ignore the obvious 'sad event'......that will 'keep you on your toes'.....

Cheers :eek:

gerry111
25th Jul 2017, 09:44
I reckon that statistics and probability make it a "no brainer". Your flying school can't always be unlucky. It must be another's turn next time?

Sunfish
26th Jul 2017, 06:10
Avoid them. There is no standardisation of instruction methods at all. there is no effective supervision of young instructors. what you are taught depends on the luck of the draw. everyone seems focussed on maximising income from CPL students.

I am still trying to discover what I don't know and wasn't taught. the last discovery (last week) was to use calibrated airspeed for performance calculations.

andrewr
26th Jul 2017, 06:28
the last discovery (last week) was to use calibrated airspeed for performance calculations

To be clear, performance calculations i.e. takeoff and landing distance almost certainly use indicated air speed.

You need to use calibrated air speed when comparing/multiplying speeds, e.g. 1.3 x stall speed. Usually, as a pilot you don't need to do that - you use the IAS values in the book.

Seabreeze
26th Jul 2017, 06:46
The "Law of Averages" tells us that if your flying School has had more accidents recently, there is a lower chance of having future accidents!

This theorem is related to the "Law of Risks" which is that speeding through intersections when driving reduces chances of an accident because the vehicle spends less time in the risky zone"

However there are some inexplicable contradictions in life:
"If women are the weaker sex, how come a man will always lose the battle to get blankets back on his side of the bed.?" This is actually the "Law of Blankets".

Then there is the " Law of Beer Goggles"
"When a bloke puts the beer goggles, all women look more attractive"

Enough life experience rules for today....

Seabreeze

Charlie Foxtrot India
26th Jul 2017, 13:44
Sexist jokes are life experiences?

Click!