PDA

View Full Version : International students learning to fly in Leigh Creek

Desert Flower
24th Jul 2017, 12:59
This is something I have been making noises about for a long time. Looks like someone finally listened!

From The Transcontinental Port Augusta:

INTERNATIONAL students will spread their wings in Leigh Creek from July 31, learning to fly through a six-week pilot training trial hosted by Parafield Airport-based pilot school Flight Training Adelaide (FTA).

South Australian government has contributed $40,000 to the trial, providing access to upgrade facilities at Leigh Creek Airport in a bid to train pilots all year round in the Northern Flinders Ranges region.

12 pilots will participate in the commercial pilot training course, with four airplanes, four staff, two runways and refuelling facilities available at the airport.

Employment Minister Kyam Maher said Leigh Creek forms the gateway to some of the most spectacular country in South Australia.

”The addition of Flight Training Adelaide to Leigh Creek will provide a new commercial opportunity for the town and utilise its high-quality airport and runway,” Mr Maher said.

“The trial will help FTA to develop their capacity to meet the growing demand for pilots and provides an ideal environment for early stage pilot training.”

The airport is currently used by the outback mail run, business and industrial experts visiting the mine site, and tourism businesses.

The Outback Communities Authority (OCA) took over municipal responsibilities for Leigh Creek after town management transitioned from Flinders Power (formerly Alinta Energy) to state government on January 1, 2017. OCA Chair Cecilia Woolford said Leigh Creek Airport is a remarkable facility.

“ … We will continue to seize these opportunities, bringing new money into the region and adding to the vibrancy of the community,” she said.

“We are thrilled that FTA has chosen Leigh Creek as a base for their trial and we trust that the students will enjoy exploring the outback and its many attractions from the sky.”

Regional Development Minister Geoff Brock said the project will attract more people to Leigh Creek, bringing much-needed economic support to local businesses.

SA government has committed to keeping Leigh Creek open for business beyond July 2018 by providing essential services for people in the town and surrounding communities.

DF.

gerry111
24th Jul 2017, 14:30
All really good news! :)

But perhaps it will need to pass the "Pub test"?

So DF, Is the hotel and the brilliant coffee/takeaway shop, next door, still operating at Leigh Creek?

(A very pleasant lunchtime was had there, before then flying to YARK, not that many years ago.)

Desert Flower
24th Jul 2017, 14:52
All really good news! :)

But perhaps it will need to pass the "Pub test"?

So DF, Is the hotel and the brilliant coffee/takeaway shop, next door, still operating at Leigh Creek?

(A very pleasant lunchtime was had there, before then flying to YARK, not that many years ago.)

The "pub" in YLEC which was once known as The Tavern is now known as The Leigh Creek Outback Resort. Can't tell you how much it pains my ears to hear it being called that! :(
The cafe that was in the main street of YLEC is no longer - it went before Christmas 2015. :(
The Copley Pub aka The Leigh Creek Hotel has been closed for some time, but I heard a rumour today that it will be reopening again soon. Although frankly I can't see how the area can support two pubs now anyway. The Quandong Cafe in Copley is still operating, although now it's at the caravan park. I'm sad to say it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. :(

DF.