PDA

View Full Version : How to revalidate a UK PPL

Winston
28th Nov 2001, 23:43
I have a JAR ATPL and fly commercially. I would really like to start flying light aircraft again but my PPL has expired. I last flew a light aircraft in 06/98 and my last C of E was signed in 07/97. Does anyone know exactly what is required to revalidate the PPL?? Cheers.

schuler_tuned
29th Nov 2001, 00:18
if it's a c.a.a. p.p.l., which it has to be, then 5 years is the time limit before training hours are required. so as long as it's before 07/02, all you have to do is revaladate by way of a skills flight with an examiner.
then welcome back to the world of the over charged(100L.L.), under serviced(standby i'll call you back,yeah right!) nimby hated(i could clearly see the reg on his climb out,it scared my cat off her light lunch of beluga) over regulated(it's 5nm that a ctz extends, not 5 counties), wonderfull, wonderfull world of light escapism.

Stan Evil
29th Nov 2001, 00:30
Why not just add a SEP (single engine piston) class rating to your JAA ATPL? You just need a skill test with a Class Rating Examiner. Your PPL is a dead licence now really unless you have things like SLMG ratings in it.

BEagle
29th Nov 2001, 00:48
Your last C of E would have expired in 08/98; however, you now have a valid licence, but lapsed Single Engine Piston (Land) Class privileges. To renew these, as you have flown SEP within the last 5 years, all you need to do is whatever training you think that you need before you take a renewal proficiency check with an Examiner - such as a UK/FE(PPL). The Examiner may charge you a fee, but he/she/thing can sign you up as soon as you pass the LPC/SPA - the test itself consists of pre-flight, take-off and climb, steep turns, a couple of stalls, an off-aerodrome PFL and then back for a normal and a flapless circuit but there is also an EFATO and a go-around required at some stage. You will need to send a form off to the CAA - but NO fee needs to be paid to them.

Once you've 'renewed' your SEP Class Rating, you keep it valid either by 'experience' or by 'proficiency check' - and it lasts for 24 months once it's been signed up (on the same licence page as your commercial ratings).

You would only have needed to take the Single Engine Piston Class Rating if you'd never flown SEP before (such as a military pilot who'd done all civil conversion on, for example, a Seneca) - and that would attract another licence rating fee from the CAA. YOU do NOT need to do that though!

Winston
30th Nov 2001, 23:49
Thanksalot for the info guys I'll get straight on it See you up there