PDA

View Full Version : Computer logs and the CAA

advancing_blade
14th Jul 2002, 10:14
I have been using an evaluation copy of two computer logbook programs "logbook pro" and "skylog" both of which seem very powerful spreadsheet programs (available as limited free demo, from each). I know that "skylog" advertise that it is accepted by the CAA . However, of the two I find that "Logbook Pro" fits my needs a little better. I have of course asked for a decision from Aviation House, but not received one. Before stumping up a fair wedge of hard earned, does any one have actual experience of submitting flight data records printed in this format to the CAA.

Thanks people

Rotorbike
14th Jul 2002, 12:46
My logbook just uses Microsoft Excel with headings to suit. Contains a total of16 columns of information which I wanted to track.

It has been to the CAA a couple of times now and the only request was that each page was signed "true and correct". Once that was done it was approved without any changes to what it contained.

Funny my hand written one (on a seperate occasion) didn't require each page signed and was approved without.

If the logbook is to your requirement and with individual signed pages I don't think the CAA are too bothered.

:D :D :D

SASless
14th Jul 2002, 16:57
Now what a pleasant change....when I took my US Army computerized flight records in the CAA....they promptly took a position that none of the time contained in the records was usable for their purposes of determining my qualification for the grant of an ATPL. They summarily discarded over 2200 hours of flying time by that decision. Their decision was predicated upon the fact that the records were not a bound log book and in my own handwriting.

After pitching an "Ugly American" performance....and subsequently demonstrating humble humility to the supervisor that came to see what the one man RIOT was about....they finally accepted them with a severe dressing down about proper deportment whilst engaged in discourse with "civil" servants.

The American system is a bit more relaxed.....our FAA regs say a record....and any sort of a somewhat organized compilation of data that can answer the questions of the details of the flight being recorded will suffice.

But then too....we don't have to pay the FAA to "renew" that fancy white booklet either....wonder how they get by without that 440 Pound or whatever it costs nowadays?