PDA

View Full Version : Joon

LGS6753
21st Jul 2017, 15:36
Introducing Joon, the new airline for millennials (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/air-france-joon-airline-for-millennials/)

WTF?

toledoashley
21st Jul 2017, 18:26
It means 'babe' in Farsi!

Piltdown Man
21st Jul 2017, 19:58
Do the one handed readers who write this stuff actually read what they write? Do the people who put up the cash for this lunacy know what is being done with their money? Sounds like a bunch of window lickers to me.

tczulu
21st Jul 2017, 22:53
111 days late with this announcement surely?

AerRyan
21st Jul 2017, 23:59
I'd say it was a bit more than windows they were licking when they thought of this idea!

Buster the Bear
22nd Jul 2017, 13:03
Is Joon what was Boost?

VickersVicount
22nd Jul 2017, 13:21
Boost was the umbrella principle term for the project and not the ultimate name of the airline

c52
22nd Jul 2017, 13:31
Well, there's an airline that's specifically not hoping to sell to me and the millions who like me aren't "millennials".

Perhaps they picked up "Generation Easyjet" and thought it was a good idea.

crewmeal
22nd Jul 2017, 14:07
It reminds me of that Spanish low cost airline that WW has recently launched, the name escapes me for now.

canberra97
23rd Jul 2017, 07:34
LEVEL is the name your looking for!

johnnychips
23rd Jul 2017, 22:15
Do AF charge for food and drink on short-haul flights yet? Only been on them long-haul over the last few years. Apart from selling and charging these 'millennials' a lot for beer, wine and advocado sandwiches, and playing hippity-hop music over the PA system during the flight, I can't see how it can make a lot of difference.

Binder
24th Jul 2017, 20:45
No they don't chips.

Bottle of wine (small), sandwich, coffee, cup of water on a flight from Manch to CdG all gratis.

Total cost £60 and flight arrived 30 mins early onto an airbridge. I couldn't fault it.

Not sure about Joon though. I'm over 35 so guess I'm excluded😉

Cian
24th Jul 2017, 21:54
The era-equivalent of "lets have a cool airline for millennials" was Delta Song (for GenX/early GenYers, as it was 15 years ago). That didn't work very well.

111KAB
27th Sep 2017, 12:49
Air France Announces More Details for Joon | AirlineGeeks.com (http://airlinegeeks.com/2017/09/26/air-france-announces-more-details-for-joon/)

27th Sep 2017, 19:18
The last time I read some marketing person's spiel on millennials it said don't patronise them. I feel that this is where AF may be falling down.

toledoashley
27th Sep 2017, 20:35
I think the downfall of this could be the over emphasis on 'millennials'. It shouldnt have done that, instead positioning themseleves as a 'Next Generation' airline - which has a new take on what to expect from an airline. Great tech, and a refreshed onboard product, with new innovations such as VR...
They just seem caught up with the Millennials bubble.

packapoo
27th Sep 2017, 20:48
Thought at first must be somewhere between May and July...

CabinCrewe
29th Nov 2018, 21:53
about to be renamed 'Gone' 🙄

Hotel Tango
30th Nov 2018, 08:52
It did, however, reveal that Joon would not be a low-cost carrier.

No, it will be a high-cost and bust carrier!

toledoashley
30th Nov 2018, 09:39
I don’t think the intention was for it to be a low cost airline, but a platform to try out new ideas appealing to the next generation of traveller. (Yes, they got the millennial specificness wrong). Hence the emphasis on tech, and a less formal approach.

on time all the time
1st Dec 2018, 18:14
Joon is a pure product born out of the impossibily to properly reform Air France.
As you can see apart from Air France there is no other major French airlines. Because Air France is the airline of France. Everything has been done to protect it.Therefore ther is no major low cost airline or major French competitor to Air France.
If you watch a TV or listen to a radio program about aviation, pilots are still refered as "the only master onboard after God" ....or the "gods of the sky"
We are stilll in the golden age of Aviation. However things change around the French skies.... but Air France bosses have to deal with very powerful, hugely overpaid pilots.Strikes are frequent.
So managers do what we call "reformettes" small reforms in order not to make waves and keep the "social peace" They are patch ups.Any major changes would trigger a long stike strike. So neither the public nor customers understand what Joon is about. Is it a 2nd class Air France, is it a low cost, destinations come and go, one minute with AF , the next with Joon and back to AF. Pilots are AF on fat salaries, cabin crew are low paid employees.
The same story is valid for HOP, the AF commuter airline. Under the HOP umbrella stand at least 3 companies (Regional, Brit air, Airliner) , 3 headquaters, disparate fleets etc....No one has the gut to merge the 3 companies as afraid of more strikes. So they did what we call "bricolage" (DIY or botch job).gave them a commr stupid name for the sake of making people believe it is one company....and the true cost cutting reform can wait.