PDA

View Full Version : B757 converting from EASA to TC

rudestuff
21st Jul 2017, 14:38
What would be the procedure to convert an EASA CPL/IR with B757 TR?
Would I need to fly a twin piston and fly a CPL check ride and a separate IR check ride, or could I use a 757 SIM and fly a combined check?
As I understand it, for an ATPL I would only need to do an IR check? (I don't have 900 hours).
Also, aside from writtens, is there an oral exam?

+TSRA
21st Jul 2017, 23:35
The procedure is fairly straight forward: Go into any flight school and they can compare your hours to the TC CPL matrix. They'll identify what you need and put a plan in place for you to achieve your goals. You can also do this yourself by googling "Transport Canada CPL requirements" and do the legwork yourself, which might save you a buck or two.

With only 900 hours you are ineligible to hold a Canadian ATPL. You're at least 600 hours short on total time, not to mention what you're short on for PIC, X-Country, Night, etc. Therefore, worry about your CPL conversion first and then worry about your ATPL exams. There is no such thing as a "frozen ATPL" here in Canada, so doing the swat and writing the "A's" now really does not help you unless you're hoping to go back onto a transport category aircraft - but again, focus on one thing at a time.

As for the type rating. There are only a handful of companies that operate those in Canada and the majority of companies here don't really care if you've got a type rating, as you've got to go through initial training to get the PPC anyways (which is not the same as the type rating). It might come off as harsh, but really all you're doing is saying "look how cool I am with 900 hours and a 757 type rating." That doesn't go over very well here, as it comes off as being a "tall poppy." You're probably not, but that's why we say "perception is reality."

Now, the 757 does show that you've got some heavy jet experience, but most Canadian airlines would look at that to say you've got some two-crew experience rather than heavy jet time. It just doesn't count the same here as it does across the pond...at least, for now.

Oral exams. Not really. They'll throw a couple questions at the beginning of any ride, be it type or basic IR questions, but it is a component of the ride rather than a separate exam that must be passed prior to the ride. You'll find your initial IR will have the most questions, decreasing in number but increasing in intensity as you go through your career. For example, you're unlikely to be asked what the difference between RNAV 1 and RNAV 2 is during your initial, but you might be asked during a recurrent with an airline - and be expected to expand on any operational considerations.

I hope some of this helped, and best of luck!

rudestuff
22nd Jul 2017, 00:39
Thanks for the reply! I meet the total time requirements, but I don't have 900 hours in airplanes, so I'm only eligible for a CPL. I'm aware of the requirements to get a CPL and IR - I just wondered if an LPC would be acceptable in lieu of the CPL/IR tests?
(Like they do in the US)

+TSRA
22nd Jul 2017, 20:14
If an applicant has met the flight time requirements specified in paragraph (4)(a), the applicant who holds a commercial or higher type pilot licence in the aeroplane category, issued by a contracting state is considered to have met the ground school requirement.

This is from CAR 421.30(9) which is the credit for foreign applicants. I interpret this as saying that you would need to complete both the ground and flight tests, but that all the hour and ground studies are considered complete (assuming you meet all the flight time requirements listed in 421.30.

As this is the only regulation detailing what Transport Canada will do for foreign applicant, I would infer that an LPC would not be acceptable. BUT...go into or call a Transport Canada office and ask that question directly. They might have a policy letter or similar that they can implement on a case-by-case basis.