PDA

View Full Version : Perth to Lismore FPR

peter2480
21st Jul 2017, 13:19
A friend has asked me be co-pilot on ferry flight Serpentine (Perth) to Lismore (NSW).

I am working on a sensible route and plan to roughly follow major highways.

Any suggestions from those that have undertaken this flight (or close to it) would be appreciated.

gerry111
21st Jul 2017, 13:43
What sort of aircraft will you be flying?

That may be an appropriate first question. :)

peter2480
21st Jul 2017, 14:04
Long EZE. TAS 160kts, FF 20L cruise. FOB 200L.

RatsoreA
21st Jul 2017, 14:16
Regardless of anything else, stop in Forrest for the night near the WA/SA border. Fuel, big runways, comfortable lodgings, good food and amazing history/science. It should almost be compulsory for any GA aircraft to stop there when crossing the continent!

Lead Balloon
21st Jul 2017, 22:25
It depends on:

- whether your endurance is determined by the POBs' bladders rather than the aircraft

- how much site-seeing you want to do, and

- what you mean by 'major highways'.

If it were me in that aircraft and the main priority was 'getting there', I'd go:

- Serpentine to Forrest. Plenty of endurance margin in that aircraft, if the usual tailwinds prevail. You could go via Kalgoorlie if you'd prefer to see some bigger roads and have the option to pull over for a leg stretch and fuel if you don't like flying near the aircraft's endurance margins.

- Forrest to Port Pirie. Via Ceduna if the above considerations are important for you.

- Port Pirie to Bourke. Via Broken Hill " " " "

- Bourke to Lismore. Via Moree " " " "

Check AVGAS availability and payment options for every location you end up choosing.

Most importantly: Enjoy.

peter2480
23rd Jul 2017, 08:08
Thanks for your help folks. At this stage every little bit of info helps. Lead Balloon, I not your mention of Port Pirie - we were trying to decide if there was any benefit in either Port Pirie or Port Augusta. Any thoughts?

On eyre
23rd Jul 2017, 08:56
Port Pirie cheaper fuel, no landing charge and helpful airport manager.

Lead Balloon
23rd Jul 2017, 10:18
Hi again peter.

I haven't landed at Port Augusta, because Port Pirie has always been a more attractive option to me for the kinds of reasons mentioned by On eyre as well as the fact that my east/west jollies don't originate from or end up as far north as places like Lismore.

Perhaps folks who operate into Port Augusta will pipe up. According to ERSA it has AVGAS, so that's a big plus. It's security controlled and that might be a plus if you're worried about aircraft security overnight, but I don't know what counts as security controlled there.

gerry111
23rd Jul 2017, 11:04
I'd suggest that you try to avoid places such as YCDU and YBHI as they are AirBP only. As their carnets are no longer available to us, you need to factor in the call out fee. (A recent visit to YCDU entailed a fee of $120.)

YFRT: A great experience! I agree with all comments so far.

Fly safely and enjoy your adventure! :)

mostlytossas
24th Jul 2017, 07:14
Pirie over Port Augusta everytime. The latter has no facilities other than avgas for visiting aircraft whereas Pirie has a crew room tea/coffee clean wc's etc and GA friendly with no landing fees as mentioned in a previous post. Support those that support us.

cooperplace
25th Jul 2017, 07:12
if you get the chance, stop and have a look at Maralinga. Fabulous long strip there, but no fuel. Fascinating place.

gerry111
25th Jul 2017, 09:09
if you get the chance, stop and have a look at Maralinga. Fabulous long strip there, but no fuel. Fascinating place.

It sure is! We visited in April. You do need to apply for a permit to visit as the area has native title. The permit and all day tour costs $205 for each person but is well worth it. Caretaker and tour guide, Robin Matthews is very knowledgeable and interesting. If you had an early start from Forrest to Maralinga that could work for you. (You'd need to take your own lunch and Forrest would help you there.) Then leave before the end of the tour and overnight at Coober Pedy. (There's a credit card Shell bowser at YCBP.) You'd need to call a motel for a lift into town as there's no taxi service and it's a long walk.

Enjoy!

RatsoreA
25th Jul 2017, 15:25
You'd need to call a motel for a lift into town as there's no taxi service and it's a long walk.

Enjoy!

Careful with that one, they will only do that at certain times of the day and if they are not busy.

djpil
26th Jul 2017, 01:17
.... as they are AirBP only. As their carnets are no longer available to us ....I found one company that was still willing and able to issue BP carnet cards to us.

Flying Binghi
26th Jul 2017, 02:55
Bugger the road. Yer flying, not driving a car. Get out to the coast as soon as yer can after Esperance and fly along the dunes and cliffs until just in SA there is a strip at the back of a servo/motel where you can park the aircraft within feet of the accomodation. From there over lake Eyre thence to the East. Obviously zig-zag a little for fuel stops.

outnabout
26th Jul 2017, 05:24
I agree with Flying Binghi - is there a time limit here? (You would be amazed by what you can pack in).

Kalgoorlie - tour of the brothels (don't laugh, actually a legit tour).
Forrest - Just has to be done for an overnight stop. If for nothing else, so you can walk out to the end of the runway, away from the 'town' lights, and see stars from horizon to horizon.
Nullarbor Roadhouse - 123 whales there at the minute. Read ERSA on fly neighbourly, and park at the back of the roadhouse. They've redone the rooms and the menu.
Maralinga - interesting guided tour, but get permission first. They are now in the habit of prosecuting trespassers.
Ceduna - there is no callout fee for Avgas if you refuel use an AirBP carnet or if you need help between 7am to 3.40pm on weekdays (anything else, and yes, there is a fee. Gerry111, you got a bargain - the callout fee is usually $136.40).. However, Ceduna has the best oysters in Australia, and a free ride to the pub (if you are dining / staying there). AND the front bar of the pub has both cold beer and a cracker of a view over the jetty and the bay at sunset.
Coober Pedy & William Ck - over-rated, now, in my opinion.
Leigh Creek is starting to fire up again, with a new flight training school opening in a couple of days, and the pub being done up. Avgas available (on credit card, from memory?)
Pirie vs Pt Augusta - I favour Pt Augusta. Pt Augusta has tie down points on the Northern end of the apron, Avgas, and one of the best Indian restaurants in Australia at the Standpipe.
Refuel at either broken hill or mildura, and head for Mungo Lodge for overnight. Park at the back of the lodge.
Parkes for your next stop, then Bob's your uncle.

No, I haven't looked at the aircraft range or the limitations imposed by bladders..
As always, all suggestions are recommended to be double-checked by phone calls to the relevant service providers.

Lead Balloon
26th Jul 2017, 06:00
Be veeerrry careful taking a LongEZ into gravel strips like Nullarbor Roadhouse or Lake Mungo. Not as much risk as in a VariEZ, but loose rocks and small depressions can still ruin your day a lot easier than in 'ordinary' bugsmashers. The sealed strip at Nullarbor has been 'X'd off for a while and the others can be 'sub-optimal'.

Speak to people with deep expertise in the aircraft type about the kind of strips you should and shouldn't use, if you haven't already.

Strainer
26th Jul 2017, 11:30
I found one company that was still willing and able to issue BP carnet cards to us.

Who was that dj ?

cooperplace
26th Jul 2017, 12:07
I agree with Flying Binghi - is there a time limit here? (You would be amazed by what you can pack in).

Forrest - Just has to be done for an overnight stop. If for nothing else, so you can walk out to the end of the runway, away from the 'town' lights, and see stars from horizon to horizon.
Nullarbor Roadhouse - 123 whales there at the minute. Read ERSA on fly neighbourly, and park at the back of the roadhouse. They've redone the rooms and the menu.
Maralinga - interesting guided tour, but get permission first. They are now in the habit of prosecuting trespassers.
Ceduna - there is no callout fee for Avgas if you refuel use an AirBP carnet or if you need help between 7am to 3.40pm on weekdays (anything else, and yes, there is a fee. Gerry111, you got a bargain - the callout fee is usually $136.40).. However, Ceduna has the best oysters in Australia, and a free ride to the pub (if you are dining / staying there). AND the front bar of the pub has both cold beer and a cracker of a view over the jetty and the bay at sunset.
Leigh Creek is starting to fire up again, with a new flight training school opening in a couple of days, and the pub being done up. Avgas available (on credit card, from memory?)
Pirie vs Pt Augusta - I favour Pt Augusta. Pt Augusta has tie down points on the Northern end of the apron, Avgas, and one of the best Indian restaurants in Australia at the Standpipe.
Refuel at either broken hill or mildura, and head for Mungo Lodge for overnight. Park at the back of the lodge.

No, I haven't looked at the aircraft range or the limitations imposed by bladders..
As always, all suggestions are recommended to be double-checked by phone calls to the relevant service providers.

yes indeed the Standpipe Indian food is outstanding, well worth the trip to Port Augusta just for a feed there. The other place worth visiting is the pub on the seafront at Ceduna: excellent views, food, service, and rooms.

peter2480
27th Jul 2017, 21:14

Thanks outnabout. That's a great resume of options. Hey, do you know my Uncle Bob?
One of the main limitations is my mate's LongEZ and dirt/gravel strips don't go well together. However I am getting rather excited about all those places anyway so might be another trip for either my 172XP (been to NZ,both islands and back in that one) or my Trike.

djpil
28th Jul 2017, 01:43
Who was that dj ?answer in PM.

peter2480
28th Jul 2017, 08:05
Thanks for the info on various favourites. Just on that info alone I will go back for a more relaxed trans-continental crossing. Gotta love the outback - always interesting and people's attitude is amazing.

peter2480
5th Sep 2017, 19:38
Be veeerrry careful taking a LongEZ into gravel strips like Nullarbor Roadhouse or Lake Mungo. Not as much risk as in a VariEZ, but loose rocks and small depressions can still ruin your day a lot easier than in 'ordinary' bugsmashers. The sealed strip at Nullarbor has been 'X'd off for a while and the others can be 'sub-optimal'.

Speak to people with deep expertise in the aircraft type about the kind of strips you should and shouldn't use, if you haven't already.

That is a major issue with this one. Strict limitation on landing places available except in THE event.

Flying Binghi
5th Sep 2017, 21:31
That is a major issue with this one. Strict limitation on landing places available except in THE event.

Don't sound like an aircraft suited to Oz.

Vag277
6th Sep 2017, 09:05
Binghi
I have flown over 10,000 mn in an EZE with no issues.A friend has done 3 times that all over the country.

Johnnyutah37
11th Sep 2017, 09:52
Peter numbers hi. I would see if the last guy vag 227 is up for a PM. That and take lots of empty oil containers in cockpit they fit well for a bloke and if it won't fit it is an easy aim.
Can you you do it spvfr if so you are possibly dayvfr ? If so you can do it in one day early departure out of serpentine very early and v quick turn around. Keep your fluids up and get some shade over your. Your noggin. If you feel like you have pushonittis then stop and get a. Bed. Have fun. GA is ablast esp if limited Dvfr as for plan. Take the last guys advice.
Oh did mention have fun look at the GAFA it is unreal do not take any photos live for the momement and be very very safe you know how to do that. But do not get up and put your jocks on to tight oh did I mention the GAFA it is beeeeuuatiful. ��������