PDA

View Full Version : before and after

gus_honeybun
14th Jul 2002, 09:20
chappies of flying persuasion;

I'm about to start the residential ATPL course in Sept. Hurrah I hear you cry. However, I'm still a few hours shy of the 175 min to start the CPL course post exams and all that.
So, I thought about getting an IMC, tailwheel, aerobats, complex rating as a way of building constructive hours.

My question is when is a good time to do these ratings. Do I start now, and get experience by practicing and honing the skills, but probably pick up some bad habits on the way. Or wait, and do them immidiately prior to starting the CPL when all the teachings are still fresh, but I have never used them in anger? Or do some now and some later?

I'm curious as I'm already poo-ing mysef about doing the skills test and want to be as prepared as possible.

fank u

Baldie Man
14th Jul 2002, 11:31
A compromise? Some now and some later.

tacpot
14th Jul 2002, 16:15
IMC - Do this as soon as - this is a potential life saver, and is can be used at any stage.

Tailwheel - don't bother with unless you intented to fly tailwheel soon afterwards. Decide now whether tailwheel flying is going to be a feature of your professional career, and if not, steer clear of taildraggers altogether.

Aeros - Do this after the IMC. The unusual attitudes practise and aircraft handling will set you up for life. Don't worry about picking up bad habits. If you survive solo aeros, it can safely be said you have not picked up any bad habits.

Complex - Do this as close to the CPL as you can.