PDA

View Full Version : Miles Gemini, but which one?

surely not
18th Jul 2017, 20:22
I took the photo below at the Jersey Air Rally on 6 May 1972, but I failed to record the registration. Up until now that hasn't mattered, but as I scan all my photos onto my laptop, it has become an itch that needs to be scratched.

Knowing that there are some Miles experts on this area of PPRuNe I thought I'd see if anyone else can identify this example.

horatio_b
18th Jul 2017, 21:39
G-AKGE, exact match on colour scheme
Preserved in the Ulster Folk and Transport museum

surely not
18th Jul 2017, 22:03
Many thanks for the information. Good to know she still exists even if she doesn't fly anymore.

Wander00
19th Jul 2017, 08:53
One of my all-time favourite aircraft

surely not
19th Jul 2017, 10:43
Yes it is one of those aeroplanes that just 'looks right'.

I have never spoken to anyone who has flown a Miles Gemini, but it would be interesting to know if the external beauty was matched by its flying qualities?

Whilst some will howl me down for my next suggestion, I wonder how it would perform with a couple of Rotax engines in place of the originals?

OUAQUKGF Ops
19th Jul 2017, 13:24
http://youtu.be/ToV62V5XaGE (http://youtu.be/ToV62V5XaGE)

This Gemini Mk1A previously G-AKDA - the 67th Gemini to be built - first flew at Woodley nearly 70 years ago on 23 July 1947. Powered by two 100hp Blackburn Cirrus Minor 2 engines. Most later versions of the Gemini had 145 h.p. DH Gipsy Major or 155 h.p. Cirrus Major 3 engines.

oftenflylo
19th Jul 2017, 17:32
And even then - would not FLY on one - just maintained a gentle descent. So two Rotax -ha ha!

spacegrand
23rd Jul 2017, 00:27
It was a wonderful aeroplane to fly.

DownWest
29th Jul 2017, 06:28
We had one in for a C of A about '71 or '72. IIRR it had Cirrus engines. With gluing ptoblems the next C of A was going to be big and expensive and the operator was ( I was informed) involved in a bit of people trafficing. He parked it in a field a couple of days before the cert ran out and the 'cows' ate it. Damaged beyond economic repair, so he claimed on the insurance. Looking at the photos, I suspect the cows were equipped with an axe... Dunno if the insurance payed out.

Our commercial pilot said it handled very nicely on test, but the Miles brothers were know for their good control harmonisation.
DW