View Full Version : Seeing things?

Bravo Alpha One
18th Jul 2017, 14:52
I have no idea if I'm posting this in the right place, so apologies in advance if not.

You know sometimes you see something but you can't quite believe it? Well late-ish this morning I was near the Fylde Coast, Lancashire, when at about 800' I spotted an aeroplane heading out across the Ribble estuary roughly south west towards Gt Orme Head.

At first I thought it was some sort of very light/micro but since I have looked it up I am certain it was in fact a Fieseler Fi 156 Storch in WW2 Luftwaffe markings.

Didn't know there were any in existence, let alone in UK airspace. :cool:

treadigraph
18th Jul 2017, 15:12
Several around, an occasional PPRuNer keeps a very nice example at Old Warden.

There is also the Slepcev Storch, a scale replica version. I see there is one on the UK register owned by somebody in Rochdale and in Luftwaffe markings. Probably the one?

I've seen on demonstrated at Biggin Hill - astonishingly manoeuvrable!

noflynomore
18th Jul 2017, 15:45
The scale one was demonstrated at a PFA rally at Cranfield some years ago. The entire display of t/o, climb, a great deal of turning and slow flying, touch and goes and landing took place along about 150m of runway and entirely within its width. Astonishing.

golfbananajam
18th Jul 2017, 15:57
@treadigraph

I think he may have sold it now, but it is/was a great example and often seen at EGBG