PDA

View Full Version : Auckland noise abatement departures

Velikiye Luki
18th Jul 2017, 05:14
Hello there,

Can a New Zealand A320/B737 operator tell me if:

- they ever use the profile procedure C ex Auckland?
- if not, what do they use (I presume the ICAO NADP B);
- if so, how do you actually fly the procedure C?

I have gone over and over the CAR/AIP/Jepp description of the procedure C numerous times, and I just cannot make sense of what it is telling me.

Thanks in advance!

ElZilcho
20th Jul 2017, 07:49
Auckland's C/D Procedures are, in a nutshell, NADP 1/2.

As I understand it, they wrote the C and D Procedures to differentiate between Aircraft with and without Autothrust/Throttle, specifically in the event of an Engine out. Possibly due to some of the older freight Aircraft still operating.

-edit-

Just read through AD 1.7 (Noise Abatement) in the NZAIP, and note the C/D procedure references FAR 25 which I Think was relevant for the B1900D... and perhaps a few other Turbo-Props.

Velikiye Luki
23rd Jul 2017, 10:52
Auckland's C/D Procedures are, in a nutshell, NADP 1/2.

As I understand it, they wrote the C and D Procedures to differentiate between Aircraft with and without Autothrust/Throttle, specifically in the event of an Engine out. Possibly due to some of the older freight Aircraft still operating.

-edit-

Just read through AD 1.7 (Noise Abatement) in the NZAIP, and note the C/D procedure references FAR 25 which I Think was relevant for the B1900D... and perhaps a few other Turbo-Props.

What I don't understand is does the Procedure C allow you to increase speed above V2 +10-20kt above 800ft, or is it like the NADP 1 whereby you have to hold that speed all the way up to 3000ft?

ElZilcho
23rd Jul 2017, 20:08
The wording is terrible I agree. As it reads, I assume you could accelerate above 800ft provided that acceleration doesn't require flap retraction.

Quoting CAR93.59 (NZ Regs)

93.59 Departure noise abatement procedures

(a) A pilot-in-command of a turbo-jet or turbo-fan powered aeroplane must-
(1) on departure from runway 23, comply with—
(i) the ICAO noise abatement take-off climb – Procedure A or B, defined in ICAO Doc 8168–Ops–611, Volume 1; or
(ii) the noise abatement departure profile – Procedure C, as specified in Appendix D; and

(2) on departure from runway 05, comply with—
(i) the ICAO noise abatement take-off climb – Procedure B defined in ICAO Doc 8168–Ops–611, Volume 1; or
(ii) the noise abatement departure profile – Procedure C, as specified in Appendix D.

So just comply with ICAO and ignore Aucklands poorly worded procedure.