PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada Rouge B-767 air return to LGW

TBSC
17th Jul 2017, 13:31
Air Canada Rouge 767 returned to LGW from air after some landing gear issue (tyre damage?) on take-off. It seems that the aircraft is now blocking the runway as arrivals are diverting to other airports.

lotus1
17th Jul 2017, 13:38
Diverts every where bournmouth stanstead Luton seem the in places at the moment

sejo
17th Jul 2017, 15:50
Its just shut for a 3rd time due debris on runway...not sure whether its related to the earlier incident or something else.

Edit : 1615Z : Back open again and using main runway now.

scr1
17th Jul 2017, 16:27
copied from the EZY flight tracker site updated 15 mins ago

We have just been informed that the North runway which is Gatwick’s second runway is currently closed due to damage and requires necessary maintenance. This means that both runways at Gatwick are currently closed. The airport authorities are working to resolve this issue. We will keep you updated with more information when we have it, please continue to check Flight Tracker for more updates.

IcePack
17th Jul 2017, 16:29
Pack their bags pack their brains. Had a hydraulic pump let go on push. Walked the cabin whilst it was being changed. One pax had a go as I could have gone with one system INOP.
Something about aviation that means whatever happens it is the airlines fault & they should have foreseen it. As far as some pax are concerned the airline has to be clarevoyant.

Ignore the HUD
18th Jul 2017, 06:06
Me too, would be interesting to know how long a pump change and test etc would take. Guess the option of another aircraft wasn't available.

RAT 5
18th Jul 2017, 11:57
Any more factual info on the tech problem? Burst tyre might suggest continuing to destination, if you can be sure of no fuselage etc. damage and lightening the load on landing; so I suspect there's more to this.

Dan Dare
18th Jul 2017, 13:05
My initial thought was take your burst tyre to destination, but I suppose tyres energetic enough to burst are also energetic enough to damage important things in close proximity which could make an ETOPS flight uncomfortable.

Airbubba
18th Jul 2017, 14:09
Here's an example of a 767 tire burst on takeoff causing damage to hydraulic and other systems:

Accident: Delta B763 at Madrid on Dec 5th 2013, burst tyre on takeoff, hydraulic failure, taxiway excursion after landing (http://avherald.com/h?article=46c87473)

Also, with a tire burst you don't want to retract the gear so you're not going to do a crossing.