PDA

View Full Version : Pilot shortages EASA/FAA/ICAO

italian stallion
17th Jul 2017, 07:40
I wonder with all the airlines crying about pilot shortages and parking planes because they cannot crew them, when will the various states start looking at accepting licences from other states?
Just a curious thought...

Flyit Pointit Sortit
17th Jul 2017, 08:19
I am not seeing any improvement in Pilots Terms and conditions, maybe just inflation pay deals. Ergo, there is no shortage.

Denti
17th Jul 2017, 09:17
Can't comment about other areas, but absolutely no pilot shortage in EASAland. There might be a shortage in good enough T&Cs, especially for captains, but certainly not a shortage. It is just more lucrative to work a few years in China than slaving away for the rest of your life in the likes of ryanair or wizzair. No shortage at all on the FO side, as always, way too many rich kids spending 120k of their parents money on playing a pilot.

samca
17th Jul 2017, 16:25
Agree the future is China 4/5 years and ciao

doniedarko
17th Jul 2017, 16:52
Indeed it seems the LoCo's would ground flights or reduce a schedule rather than let the cancer of improved T & C's enable them to attract or retain staff. There's a rumour that Ryr are off recruiting in Brazil in the near future....One wonders if they will attract any candidates considering the salary is no different then the first time around a decade ago. However we all know the cost of living is not....

donpizmeov2
17th Jul 2017, 16:58
Can't comment about other areas, but absolutely no pilot shortage in EASAland. There might be a shortage in good enough T&Cs, especially for captains, but certainly not a shortage. It is just more lucrative to work a few years in China than slaving away for the rest of your life in the likes of ryanair or wizzair. No shortage at all on the FO side, as always, way too many rich kids spending 120k of their parents money on playing a pilot.

How to reverse the p2f? ... is it possible at this point of time?
we all know p2f leads to fly-for-food ... stamps!

BAe 146-100
17th Jul 2017, 18:53
Well Small Planet for one are doing it right now. But for sure EU passport is a must.

Officer Kite
17th Jul 2017, 19:42
P2F is pretty much a dead duck these days. It grew around 2009 but has gone dead in the last year or so mostly.

However having said that, I can assure you there is absolutely no pilot shortage whatsoever. There may be a shortage of experienced captains etc, but there is no shortage of people with the relative licenses willing to fly for any airline that will take them, in fact there is an oversupply!

highfive
17th Jul 2017, 20:14
LEVEL to start recruiting experienced Capt/FO for Barcelona base from 2018/19.

A330 rated. Or A320 and pay your own CCQ .

Salary unknown. But rumour suggests a zero hour contract .- €5000 basic plus per diems.

bringbackthe80s
18th Jul 2017, 12:59
Here' s the thing, IAG already has long haul in Spain with Iberia. They already have an estabilished full service airline, with estabished contracts, and an estabilished career path.

Now, to start a new long haul operation in the exact same country, fully owned by the exact same IAG can only suggest one thing: lower (much lower probably) terms and conditions and much higher productivity.

This is only my opinion, but we are hopefully talking about the recruitment of highly experienced jet captains here (zero hrs contracts? is that even a legal thing??) I am hoping to be proven very wrong when the conditions come out, but I have to say I am not holding my breath.

One thing I can promise you though, when the pletora of managers are aligned for the mission they'll sure be on no zero hrs contract, or zero hrs bonuses. I'd say it's about time we woke up, but we overslept way too long already!