PDA

View Full Version : what now

steven
18th Jan 2001, 18:34
Hey guys, anyone out there with any advice. I'm just 19, I've got my A Levels and a PPL with about 100 hours. I've spent the last year working in aviation. What to do now. I've been accepted into university but would rather prefer to go straight into flying. Is a degree a significant advantage when applying for sponsorship. If neccessary I am looking at self-funding my training if sponsorship doesn't come up. Whats the best way to go guys.

------------------
jsk

Perfect PFL
18th Jan 2001, 18:44
I would recommend going to university, whilst applying for sponsorship schemes. That way you are doing something useful, and it takes a long time to go through the selection processes.
You can always leave uni if you get accepted by someone like BA.
Then again, it may be better to keep working in the aviation industry, at least that way you can save up money to self fund if you don't get sponsorship. :)

jollygreengiant
18th Jan 2001, 19:08
Try reading the 'debate' on degrees in the BA Sponsorship thread.

Lucifer
19th Jan 2001, 03:03
Would you enjoy your university degree? In my mind, you should really go to university, since it gives you the chance to excel in all the areas which airlines want you to. The point is that although a degree really is not a requirement for a sponsorship, although you may come across people on this forum and elsewhere who have a sponsorship without university, the university lifestyle gives you a chance to develop in all those areas which are asked about in the interviews and applications. You may have these right now, but I would personally feel that a degree would back you up and be able to give you a decent career in business should you fail to obtain a sponsorship.

Absolutely do not worry about building hours if you want a sponsorship: just keep your PPL current. For self-funding, you will find it easier to get a high-paid job with a degree, which you could do for 2-3 years, and give yourself an advantage on applications, which would fully pay for your own training, such as accenture (andersen consulting) or PWC, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Linch etc.