PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Connectivity!

Ride of the Valkyrie
13th Jul 2017, 08:06
Hi everyone!
I am new to this forum so don’t hesitate to tell me if I am posting in the wrong section! 
I am interested in connectivity services for helicopter and especially in 3 service typologies: Flight Following, Flight Data Monitoring and enhanced Services EFB (weather info, …). I would be very grateful if someone could give me their insight on the best service providers (so far I have identified Honeywell, Skytrac, Latitude technologies or Outerlink for example).
Furthermore I would also be interested to have an order of magnitude of the monthly cost of such a service? (for example for a 10 helicopter fleet for SAR application).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you all
P.

Mee3
13th Jul 2017, 12:29
all the names you listed are big brand used by OG and big fleet operators.

For budget I would recommend vtracker to track, vision 1000 cam as "CVFDR" and garmin for weather.

Ride of the Valkyrie
13th Jul 2017, 15:59
Thank you for these information!
And do you have an order of magnitude regarding the monthly cost of such services provided by the big brands that i mentioned?

Gordy
13th Jul 2017, 17:01
Check out spidertracks also.

Mee3
14th Jul 2017, 12:33
Thank you for these information!
And do you have an order of magnitude regarding the monthly cost of such services provided by the big brands that i mentioned?
had been some time, but I remember the cost was around $60 per mo, for 15s interval tracking, sign for 24 mo contract.

Ride of the Valkyrie
18th Jul 2017, 15:13
Ok great thanks!
And did you have to pay per signal? Or did you only pay for the hardware + the monthly fee?
Moreover do you have any idea regarding the prices of a FDM system and for weather info provided by big brands (such as Honeywell, ...)?
Would be of great help!
Big thanks anyway

Mee3
19th Jul 2017, 13:17
Ok great thanks!
And did you have to pay per signal? Or did you only pay for the hardware + the monthly fee?
Moreover do you have any idea regarding the prices of a FDM system and for weather info provided by big brands (such as Honeywell, ...)?
Would be of great help!
Big thanks anyway
Hardware OEM only supports hardware. You will have to sign separate deal with telco for the satellite, although hardware OEM do offer their service to link you to the right person.

Branded ones starts from $10k+$5k STC, for a good one. FDMs that tap into each and every crucial system/instrument is more trouble than benefit. Ground station and software are expensive to keep. But installation is the killer. Finding the person that knows what he/she is doing is PITA. Same goes to after sales support. Not worth the effort. Go for something like Vision1000 standalone or just make the best out of built-in equipment.

Stormscopes and XM based receiver are cheap. Around $3k. Usually comes with AML STC. But proper weather radar can be as cheap as 25K all in too.

Good luck.