PDA

View Full Version : Garmin G5 - in a Cessna 172

thepilotadvisor
12th Jul 2017, 03:01
As a new Cessna owner....

I'm hoping someone can help answer this query for me. The non certified Garmin G5's are about US$1,100, certified type about US$2,300.

Is there anything stopping me fitting a non certified Garmin G5 into my C172 as a backup only? that is keeping all of my primary flight instruments but rather than buying a certified one, installing a non certified one as redundancy?

Happy to cop your criticism if this is a stupid idea :).

One other thing, if replacing instruments such as DG or turn co-ordinator and sourcing a second hand one, do I need to buy one with a CASA sign off etc or if it is a certified instrument for my aircraft type is that sufficient?

Thanks for your help

Progressive
12th Jul 2017, 14:11
The problem with fitting a non-certified instrument is that you would need a Part 21 engineering order for the complete instalation, whereas the certified version would come with an Supplemental Type Certificate for your aircraft type. The cost if the engineering order would likely exceed the price difference between the two.

As for purchasing second hand items, they can be intalled if the come with an Authorised release certificate from Australia (form 1), EASA, Canada or FAA (form 8130), or a servicable tag from an australian LAME. Anything else should be treated with suspicion, esspecially second hand parts from overseas with "servicable tags".

As a new Cessna owner....

I'm hoping someone can help answer this query for me. The non certified Garmin G5's are about US$1,100, certified type about US$2,300.

Is there anything stopping me fitting a non certified Garmin G5 into my C172 as a backup only? that is keeping all of my primary flight instruments but rather than buying a certified one, installing a non certified one as redundancy?

Happy to cop your criticism if this is a stupid idea :).

One other thing, if replacing instruments such as DG or turn co-ordinator and sourcing a second hand one, do I need to buy one with a CASA sign off etc or if it is a certified instrument for my aircraft type is that sufficient?

Thanks for your help

peterc005
13th Jul 2017, 02:46
The price difference for the Garmin G5 is a bit of a ripoff, but not quite as much as mentioned above.

https://www.ozpilot.com.au/garmin-g5-system

I've been looking at the G5 too, and will probably get one next time money needs to be spent on vacuum powered gyros in my plane.

If the Avionics LAME will do the installation based only on the STC it's probably the best option as EOs cost time and money. If your plane is NVFR or IFR the certified option might be your only choice.

I'm hoping in six months time the G5 certified price will soften and I'll wait for a good deal to pop up.

Global Aviator
13th Jul 2017, 22:49
Go to Oshkosh and get yourself a Super deal onsite!