PDA

View Full Version : 16th Anniversary

Raptor4
9th Jul 2017, 10:10
Today marks the 16th anniversary of the day when 49 pilots were sacked by Cathay Pacific management in 2001.

The history of what took place has been written and recorded. The lessons to be learned by both union and management alike are there for all to see and to benefit from.

The question is, have they been learned or have they just been consigned to the WPB of the past leaving history to repeat itself?

Judging by the actions of the current management, I know to which theory I subscribe.

Ipad
9th Jul 2017, 10:30
TS Utor, Nigel, Don, ASL, Recruitment Ban, MSS, Talks about Talks, Drew, 911, ISC, yellow ribbons, John W, Nick R, and from Ken:

CATHAY PACIFIC
Cathay Pacific Airways Limited
Flight Operations Department
Cathay Pacific City, 8 Scenic Road Hong Kong International Airport Lantau, Hong Kong www.cathaypacific.com
25' July, 2001
Ladies & Gentlemen,
I feel that it is important that I once again address all flight crew regarding the current industrial issues. This particular letter is written on behalf of Cathay Pacific, Veta and USAB which, for convenience, are referred to as the "Company."
It is very important that I cut through all of the rumours and misinformation and try to answer, in as direct a fashion as possible, some of the questions being asked. You need to comprehend, in the clearest possible way, where the Company stands on the latest issues.
How on earth have we got into this situation?
This is perhaps the hardest question of all to answer and I guess we would need to go back years for the full answer. It is the Company view that the HKAOA leadership decided to target this summer as an opportune time for industrial action, to address a range of issues. This is the first time in the history of Cathay Pacific and the campaign has been thoroughly researched and planned along North American lines. The plan has been for long term, low level industrial action designed to inflict serious damage to the Company's revenue streams without jeopardising the careers of individual pilots. As you are aware the Company has responded by sending a package of pay and benefits directly to individual crew members. As a consequence, the HKAOA is now considering an escalation in industrial action.
The latest issue is the revision to Roster Practices and this is judged by the HKAOA to be so serious that they may even consider asking you to sacrifice your flying career with the Company. It is definitely time for cool heads and some clear thinking.
Has the Company planned this scenario?
Of course not. This is the most ridiculous rumour of all. It is impossible to plan such a sequence of events. We have not provoked the HKAOA leadership into taking industrial action. We have not breached the 3 Year Agreement. We have no hidden agenda to shut the airline down and certainly no desire to start hiring contract crew. All rumours along these lines are complete nonsense.
Will the Company ever agree to negotiate with the HKAOA again?
Of course we will. Any rumour that the Company is trying to break the HKAOA or pay lip service to negotiations is similar nonsense. The Company and the HKAOA have reached negotiated agreements in the past. We have been unsuccessful with regard to
member of

Roster Practices, but I can assure that the Company negotiating team did not spent 18 months in the Aviation Club for the good of their health. We were committed to reaching an agreement. Sadly, both sides failed.
Why has the Company dramatically revised Roster Practices at this time?
We have not. The changes are not dramatic. Again this is being overplayed. In simple terms the Company has removed the old Flight Time Limitations Scheme from the Roster Practices and introduced a new and improved option for the payment of overtime based on Credit Hours for all duties performed.
The current FTL Scheme in Volume 1 has not changed. It remains the most crewfriendly FTL Scheme in the world. However, it is totally impractical to continue to roster crew to two schemes, the current FTL Scheme and the old one which it superseded. It is hard enough producing rosters with one complex set of rules.
What have I lost in the revised Roster Practices?
The only significant change, which the HKAOA seems to consider a loss, is that previously we rostered 4 pilot crews to ANC and AKL (at some times of the year). Under the new Scheme we can roster a 3 pilot crew on such routes. Having said that, in a credit hours system, the credit for working in a 3 pilot operation will be significantly higher.
Has 5 4 3 been removed from the Roster Practices?
No. Again this is misinformation. Please re read the Volume 1 amendment. You can retain 5 4 3 with either overtime option. Moreover, the wording has been strengthened to ensure that 5 4 3 applies on first return to Home Base after operating a ULR FDP.
Are the Roster Practices a trap? Is there an acute crewing problem?
Again talk along these lines is pure propaganda. There is not a crew shortage, neither chronic nor acute. You are able to retain your current Productive Hour system with an annual limit of 700 hours.
Is the Company really allowed to revise Roster Practices? Is it a breach of Conditions of Service?
The Roster Practices Clause in Conditions of Service says three things; 1) no agreement was reached in 1999, 2) we will continue with Roster Practices (1994) in the meantime and 3) both sides protect their positions as stated in the court case HCMP 1679.
The Company position in HCMP 1679 is that Roster Practices reside in an Operations Manual and may be amended by the Company. The HKAOA position is that they may not be changed without mutual consent.

All parties involved in the drafting of this clause fully expected a negotiated settlement on Roster Practices to be reached long ago. However that has not been the case.
In the absence of a negotiated settlement, the HKAOA has chosen industrial action to force through changes to pay, benefits and Roster Practices. The Company has chosen to exercise its right to amend Volume 1 as stated in the Conditions of Service.
Will accepting or working to the revised Roster Practices compromise the outstanding court case?
This is a valid concern. It has never been the Company's intention to invalidate the legal proceedings in this regard. To put your minds at rest, we can confirm the following:
The Company expressly confirms that your acceptance of any of the options is without prejudice to the assertions about Rostering Practices made by all the parties in HCMP No. 1679 of 1999 and similar assertions made by the HKAOA.
The Company lawyers advise that these words should allay any fears you may have about working to revised Roster Practices and giving up your claim that Rostering Practices (1994) are legally binding. In other words, you can now carry on flying without such a concern. In the absence of a negotiated settlement, the status of Roster Practices can be taken to court in the future, without you having compromised your legal position.
Do I need to return the Company form?
The options open to flight crew are quite clear. If you wish to remain on the current overtime system you must return a form to the Company by 31 " July 2001. If you wish to remain on the current overtime system until the end of your birth year and then switch to the new overtime system of credit hours then you can either return a form to the Company or do nothing.
If you wish to switch to the new overtime system, with effect from 1 st August, and your birthday is not in August, then you must return the form to the Company by the 31 st July 2001 deadline.
What happens if I send the letter drafted by the HKAOA rejecting the revised Roster Practices?
This is an important question and requires you to take time to think clearly and to think for yourself.
Ask yourself the following key questions:
Have you ever previously rejected an amendment to a Company Operations Manual?

If the legal status of Roster Practices has yet to be determined by the courts, are you in a position to decide their legal status yourself?
Are you certain that you wish to leave such an important decision to the HKAOA committee?
This situation now has a frightening similarity with that of the Australian dispute in 1989 when individual crew left their futures in the hands of the union. This is not about unionbusting but there comes a time when you have to think for yourself.
We recognise that this is an extremely difficult time for everyone involved. I am sorry that so many crew are stuck in the middle having to "play both sides." To offer a way out of this dilemma we have included a revised form with this letter. If you feel any pressure from the HKAOA or any of your colleagues, you can send an HKAOA rejection letter to the Association and also return the attached form to the Company. This will allow you to maintain a low profile.
All forms returned will be held in the strictest confidence.
A returned HKAOA rejection letter, without a returned Company form, will be signaling that you may intend to withdraw your labour with effect from 1 t August and this needs to be considered extremely carefully.
Conclusion
I very much regret that the HKAOA industrial action and the Company reaction has led to this situation but all Cathay Pacific, Veta and USAB crew must now make an important decision regarding Roster Practices. My only request is that you think through the issues carefully and make the decision that is right for you, your family and your future. You have to try to see through the rumours and misinformation and see the Company offer for what it really is a genuine attempt to offer some more pay and better conditions to all crew despite the lack of a negotiated settlement.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact any of the Flight Operations management team.
Yours sincerely,
Captain K.R. Barley
Director Flight Operations

Scoreboard
10th Jul 2017, 08:29
still makes my blood boil reading that crap that they negotiated in faith then sacked all the HKAOA rostering negotiators....then wheeled this drivel out.

there aint a hole deep and dark enough for the scum.

timely reminder a tiger doesnt change his stripes....

XFR8
11th Jul 2017, 02:06
And still a few of the Star Chamber stars remain. Screaming Skull to name but one.

Captain Dart
11th Jul 2017, 02:23
Are Richard 'Gear' and 'Julian Assange' still there?

Trafalgar
11th Jul 2017, 08:32
On a more somber note, after 16 years, we are no closer to dealing with a moral management, a rational flight ops team, or anywhere near 'industry standard' rostering conditions. As a matter of fact, we are faced with a seemingly mindless automaton style of management who believe that the 'ends justify the means'. I don't believe we have a Union leadership that is in tune with the reality of what we are dealing with. I voted for Rod, and I believe his style was necessary to cope with the monster that we confront. Our management has lost any perspective on a long-term future, because the only focus are their short-term bonuses. Hence the layoffs, threats to our conditions and the evident shrinking of the airline. We have to wake up. We have to all come together and realise that without risk to our careers, we won't in fact have a career worthy of the title. Now is NOT the time to show weakness, weariness or fear. Throw EVERY threat back in their faces. Resist EVERY assault on our conditions. Fact: the average pilot cost to CX is now approx 35% of what it was 25 years ago. Let that sink in before you buy their 'we are so poor' line of rhetoric.

OK4Wire
11th Jul 2017, 11:14
Amen, Traf.

betpump5
11th Jul 2017, 12:03
I voted for Rod too, and will again in a Heartbeat if he was to stand again.

Trafalgar
11th Jul 2017, 12:13
The poor AOA leadership that I predicted. (I appreciate the volunteer effort put into the Union, but we need a strong leader. We do NOT have that, and this latest 'volunteer' LOSA policy proves that) ( and oh, btw, CX management... FU)