PDA

View Full Version : Welcome: Nice to see you

Ocean Person
8th Jul 2017, 06:40
Great to see the PLA aircraft carrier Liaoning bring the "Eight One" flag into Hong Kong waters and drop anchor near Green Island.
Abeam Green Island was a mental trigger point for all the Cathay old timers who enjoyed the visual to RW13 at Kai Tak. If everything was in place abeam Green Island then it stayed in place all the way around the corner to touchdown. What better place for a visiting warship to anchor for a few days.

O.P.

KABOY
8th Jul 2017, 07:20
The old timers prefer to know her as 'Varyag'

Bob Hawke
8th Jul 2017, 15:29
There's a village somewhere....

cxorcist
8th Jul 2017, 17:32
That boat would become the newest reef in the South China Sea if the shooting ever starts with "the West"!!!

spleener
8th Jul 2017, 21:40
Great to see the PLA aircraft carrier Liaoning bring the "Eight One" flag into Hong Kong waters and drop anchor near Green Island.
Abeam Green Island was a mental trigger point for all the Cathay old timers who enjoyed the visual to RW13 at Kai Tak. If everything was in place abeam Green Island then it stayed in place all the way around the corner to touchdown. What better place for a visiting warship to anchor for a few days.

O.P.

Nice looking tub!
But; Green Island. Nope, all I remember was it that it had a Red Light. More like Kowloon Magistracy @ 1050ft, around 800fpm and then the shed at the oval @ Kowloon Tsai Park.
Raining? Make sure the FO had his wipers on high so you could see through his window.....

OK4Wire
8th Jul 2017, 23:08
Actually Kaboy, I seem to remember she started out as "Riga". But that might have been during USSR days.

Average Fool
9th Jul 2017, 00:46
What did it hit to bend that bow up like that?

And the runway is completely misaligned with the ship, where did they come up with that idea?

"Crosswind from the right"

"I said crosswind from the right"

"I know"

"Why didn't you say 'check'?

"Because its and angled deck you idiot, the wind is always from the right!"

OK4Wire
9th Jul 2017, 01:52
The only time there is a crosswind, is when there is no wind. But you knew that already, right?

Max Reheat
9th Jul 2017, 03:08
OK 4 Wire,

Riga was a Kiev class helicopter/Forger carrier. I know, I went to 'harass' her in 1988 as she exited the Black Sea on the way to the Northern Banner Fleet in Murmansk. She was bought by the Indian Navy and renamed INS Vikramaditya in 2013.

The Liaoning was indeed known as the Varyag, originally named the 'Riga', a Kuzntesov class carrier, a totally different beast to the Baku. Commissioned in 1988 and sold to the Mainland in 1998 she entered service in 2012.

DUSKY DOG
9th Jul 2017, 03:43
I have seen take -offs from this carrier but no recoveries
you dont say its just for.................

Max Reheat
9th Jul 2017, 04:13
Dusky,
Kuznetsov didn't do too well in the Med earlier this year did she?
They had 'Recovery' problems too!

Frogman1484
9th Jul 2017, 12:16
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/07/08/hong-kong-govt-says-cannot-regulate-black-smoke-emitted-chinas-liaoning-aircraft-carrier/

Despot75
9th Jul 2017, 12:31
What a piece of crap!......it wouldn't last the first hour of a conflict.

Ocean Person
10th Jul 2017, 07:23
cxorcist and Despot75:

Your comments, not so if the USA navy shoots to the same standard as it navigates. Ask the bridge crew of the destroyer USS Fitzgerald that only a couple of weeks ago went within a whisker of getting itself sunk near Tokyo Bay. Happened on a gin clear cloudless night but of course it was not the destroyer's fault. !!!

O.P.

ACMS
10th Jul 2017, 08:33
OP----good on ya mate, you believe what you wanna believe......

Now, what about that new stealth fighter ( J-20 ) the PLA copied from the stolen hacked plans of the USAF F-22? How's that little project coming along for ya?:D