PDA

View Full Version : JETGO from Wollongong

dijical
7th Jul 2017, 06:35
JETGO have added flights to Wollongong from Melbourne Essendon and Brisbane to their booking engine.

MEB-WOL (first flight 31 October)
Twice daily on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun
Once daily on Tuesday and Thursday (no flights Sat)

BNE-WOL (first flight 23 November)
Once daily (except Tues, Sat)

Cheapest fare on both routes is $155.

It looks like a solid effort, after a long time without any RPT flights to Wollongong (Qantaslink pulled out on Friday, July 18 2008). It will be interesting to see if is a strong enough offering to be sustainable.

dijical
10th Jul 2017, 11:34
The Wollongong flights have disappeared from their booking engine - maybe they've changed minds!

Ned Stark
10th Jul 2017, 12:35
The Wollongong flights have disappeared from their booking engine - maybe they've changed minds!
How is that not surprising

dijical
13th Jul 2017, 10:24

Booking engine is now back up - all flights are now only $119. Get in quick!

dijical
14th Jul 2017, 06:36
JUST one week out from launching Hervey Bay's first direct flight to Melbourne, airline Jetgo has confirmed it is canning the long awaited service. (https://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/jetgo-cancels-flights-from-hervey-bay-to-melbourne/3200301/)

All flights booked for the next three months will be cancelled and customers refunded. Jetgo's Managing Director Paul Bredereck said the company had no choice but to make the tough decision after the new service failed to attract enough bookings to make the route sustainable through the winter months. He said the company was looking at the unprecedented set back as a "delayed start" and planned to try again in Spring. "The response has been softer than expected," Mr Bredereck said. "We're holding off until the beginning of October."

LostProperty
15th Jul 2017, 01:41
All flights booked for the next three months will be cancelled and customers refunded. Jetgo's Managing Director Paul Bredereck said the company had no choice but to make the tough decision after the new service failed to attract enough bookings to make the route sustainable through the winter months. October."

Sounds a lot like the much-hyped Roma-Sydney service a couple of years ago.

Pappa Smurf
15th Jul 2017, 01:52
Hes blaming the people of Hervey Bay for not wanting to go south because its to cold.
But its whale season up their and southerners flock to the warmer climate this time of the year.

criticalmass
15th Jul 2017, 03:09
As one who watched Impulse come - and vanish - from Wollongong, then watched Qantas come - and vanish - from Wollongong, I can't help this feeling of deja vu with the proposed services.

The fares announced are (in my view) unsustainable. They'd need to be triple that to keep the service running, and I doubt the numbers will stack up in terms of passenger liftings anyway. If the fares increase to what I think they ought to be, passenger liftings will plummet.

I used to count the heads getting on and off the Qantas Dash-8s on occasions, and although the aircraft were not full, I figured they were probably breaking even, and making a profit on quite a few of the morning flights. Well over half the seats were occupied on the evening flights I observed. So why did Qantas abandon the route?

One suggestion is when the Dash-8 100 series were sold, Qantas simply didn't have an aircraft that was legal for the runway (was the Dash-8 200 series overweight for runway 16/34?) and they pulled the pin because obtaining exemptions for each flight just got too hard. Now if someone knows the real reason, I'd love to hear it, but that made sense to me at the time and it still does. Like as as not it was a combination of adverse factors, not just one, but lacking a suitable aircraft was significant.

What is also significant is Rex have ignored Wollongong on their Syd-Merimbula route (which also takes in Moruya). The SAAB 340 is no issue for YWOL, so why isn't it on that route? Is it because Wollongong is just a shade too close to Sydney to make it viable? I've never run an airline so I have limited knowledge of the complexities of route-determination and pricing, but some things seem to be fairly obvious.

So Jetgo will come - and go - and eventually YWOL will become what it is today. Meanwhile, all those at YWOL who didn't bother renewing their ASICs will have a headlong rush to get them when the RPT starts up again, and the ASIC issuing bodies will rub their hands together with the preditable surge in business. Any of the HARS airside guys who don't have one will need to get their applications under way fairly soon, as the HARS area and the RPT area are very close together. I assume most of the HARS guys have an ASIC already.

Shellharbour Council have always had this dream of RPT at YWOL, but ultimately it is a case of not enough bums reliably on the seats, and just a bit too close to YSSY. I give Jetgo six months before they become Jetgone as far as Wollongng is concerned...but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Deano969
15th Jul 2017, 03:53
Fairly pessimistic outlook criticalmass...
With Wollongong being Australias 10th largest city and 80km from KSA or well over a 1 hour 15 minute drive, it has amazed me that the likes of REX have not jumped at Albion Park
Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are both 100k from Brisbane and just 1 hour away and although they are touristy destinations, each support huge passenger numbers
Even Wellcamp is supporting multi-daily flights to Melbourne and Sydney

I think Jetgo will have great success on both routes with exactly the right sized aircraft for the routes and will likely end up 2-3 times daily on each route

Here's why
1) Those getting international connections will likely save money, even with the JetGo fare as there is greater discounting at Brisbane and Melbourne than Sydney
2) Those traveling from the Gong to Brisbane or Melbourne have a greater chance of making it to the airport on time at Albion Park
3) Albion park avoids the F6 M1 and often hours of fun and games and fog etc

JetGo just needs to keep in mind 2 things
1) keep flights on time
2) keep fares reasonable

The rest will take care of itself

TBM-Legend
15th Jul 2017, 03:55
Simple rule of thumb is that you need $100/seat to get off the blocks to cover all of the things behind the scenes and costs to that point then an hourly rate to operate the aircraft and divided by expected pax load plus a margin. Without that you're not covering costs.

It's cheaper to go broke on the ground than in the air!

engine out
15th Jul 2017, 07:04
I think Qlink pulled the pin as they were retiring the aircraft, but also as Bluescope reduced its flying due to losing money.

International connections won't help looking st Melbourne as they fly to Essendon not Tullamarine, not sure how the times work out in Brisbane.

As much as it tries Wollongong is not a major tourist destination such as the Gold Coast. I'm sure Jetgo will be looking at Wollongong major industries to fill seats, such as the Uni and bluescope,though many of those users like frequency and lounge access.

I do wish the luck and I hope success but I agree that I think in 12 months they will be Jetgone

chimbu warrior
15th Jul 2017, 10:09
It's cheaper to go broke on the ground than in the air!

Wise words indeed.

Southbank Aviation couldn't make this work with a C421 35 years ago, when BHP were booming and their head office was in Melbourne.

Am I the only one who thinks that there does not appear to be a solid business plan behind some of these route proposals?

markis10
15th Jul 2017, 10:34

Realistic I would say, despite all the stats history says expect 1-5 pax on average most days.

Deano969
15th Jul 2017, 10:49
Some of their routes seem to be fairly solid
Tamworth , Dubbo , Albury and Wagga along with Goldy Rocky Townsville

I think that their biggest problems are
They are not found on the likes of Webjet
They are not really set up and well known enough for infrequent tourists
They tend to target smaller towns travelers heading to citys, which is fine, but they need to have a big lead in time as lots of pax would have booked in advance
Hub busting works well, but there is a need for affiliation with VA or QF take for example Air North Wellcamp services for an example
They tend not to launch new routes with daily services, this is important as a traveler who wishes to book with JetGo and, for example, can't get the return leg on their day of choosing, will likely just book the one stop alternative with QF or VA for both legs

JetGo would be better to look at multi-leg services, rather than origin, destination services

Example
Cairns-Maroochydore-Canberra-Hobart
Cairns-Newcastle-Hobart
Adelaide-Newcastle-Maroochydore-Townsville

Much better chances of bums on seats for 1-2 sectors rather than eg. Melbourne to Port Maq which should have continued on to Gold Coast, Rockhampton and Townsville

Look at how Brisbane Dubbo Melbourne has been doing

Even their new route Albury-Gold Coast could have been
Melbourne-Albury-Gold Coast-Rockhampton-Townsville

IMO :-)

PoppaJo
15th Jul 2017, 13:40
This mob would have as much hope affiliating themselves with the local McDonald's let alone Qantas or Virgin.

Why would anyone codeshare with them? Just let them go broke instead and the rest is history. Worked well for Air Australia.

Ned Stark
16th Jul 2017, 01:46
Some of their routes seem to be fairly solid
Tamworth , Dubbo , Albury and Wagga along with Goldy Rocky Townsville

I think that their biggest problems are
They are not found on the likes of Webjet
They are not really set up and well known enough for infrequent tourists
They tend to target smaller towns travelers heading to citys, which is fine, but they need to have a big lead in time as lots of pax would have booked in advance

You forgot to add
They are unreliable

BNEA320
16th Jul 2017, 03:45
You forgot to add
They are unreliableto be found on any search engine site, like Webjet, who charge a booking fee, airline needs to be hosted in a GDS(global distribution system or CRS computer res system SAME THING) & these are very expensive. Most airlines have to pay everytime a booking is made, whether it's finalised or not. So bookings made that are then cancelled before a ticket is issued, still cost the airline, in most cases. Some bigger airlines might have these fees reduced, but for small airlines, the price is prohibitive.

dijical
16th Jul 2017, 04:12
to be found on any search engine site, like Webjet, who charge a booking fee, airline needs to be hosted in a GDS(global distribution system or CRS computer res system SAME THING) & these are very expensive. Most airlines have to pay everytime a booking is made, whether it's finalised or not. So bookings made that are then cancelled before a ticket is issued, still cost the airline, in most cases. Some bigger airlines might have these fees reduced, but for small airlines, the price is prohibitive.

Fly Corporate have done so using Hahn Air: "New Australian airline Fly Corporate enters the GDS world under H1 code" (https://www.hahnair.com/en/public/news/2016-05-06/new-australian-airline-fly-corporate-enters-gds-world-under-h1-code).

I have no idea of the cost but you would think that it is a fairly fundamental business requirement for a RPT operator of Jetgo's ambition.

pull-up-terrain
16th Jul 2017, 04:16
Wise words indeed.

Southbank Aviation couldn't make this work with a C421 35 years ago, when BHP were booming and their head office was in Melbourne.

Am I the only one who thinks that there does not appear to be a solid business plan behind some of these route proposals?

Just from my anecdotal evidence, the demographics of Illawarra and the Shoalhaven area have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years. There are lots of people in their late 20's and early 30's moving to Wollongong and commuting to Sydney for work as well as cashed up retirees in their 50's and 60's selling up in Sydney and moving south because property prices are less than half the price of Sydney. Not only that, developers are building large land subdivisions and apartments like crazy in the Illawarra too. The population is growing big time.

As long as Jetgo sell the flights at a price that works out to be similar to catching a flight from Sydney (including travel costs to get to Sydney airport), I reckon flights from Wollongong may succeed this time.

BNEA320
16th Jul 2017, 22:45
Just from my anecdotal evidence, the demographics of Illawarra and the Shoalhaven area have drastically changed in the last 5-10 years. There are lots of people in their late 20's and early 30's moving to Wollongong and commuting to Sydney for work as well as cashed up retirees in their 50's and 60's selling up in Sydney and moving south because property prices are less than half the price of Sydney. Not only that, developers are building large land subdivisions and apartments like crazy in the Illawarra too. The population is growing big time.

As long as Jetgo sell the flights at a price that works out to be similar to catching a flight from Sydney (including travel costs to get to Sydney airport), I reckon flights from Wollongong may succeed this time.

You're forgetting about the time spent getting from Wollongong to Sydney & potential delays on roads, train or however you get there.

What might be a 90 minute trip most days, means you have to allow 150 minutes or more & just getting through security at SYD can take a while cf. Albion Park.

Who really wants to spend 5 hours getting to SYD & back ?

Bit like BNE & OOL. There are some crazy cheap airfares out of OOL, like OOL/SIN on Scoot for $88 to $129 one way on new 787's inc all taxes. OOL/ZQN/OOL on JQ for $200 inc all taxes which must add up to $170 + Air Asia have regular sales, BUT many of these flights depart OOL early like 0600, so it means people in BNE might have to get up at 0200, leave to drive by 0300 to arrive by 0430 with 30 minutes up their sleeve. Some will do it, the price shopper maybe, but many won't. The Tiger/Jetstar market are not Jetgo's market.

Jetgo seem to have about 5 fare buckets. The cheapest fares BNE/ABX were $179 originally & were available on all flights. Think they started with 3 or 4 a week. Now they seem to fly BNE/ABX daily & the sale price is $189, when they have sales. So it seems people will pay a lot more to fly in a jet nonstop, rather than a turbo prop to SYD & stuff around at awful SYD. You'd have to wonder if apparent Jetgo success on this route will lead to the likes of Virgin putting on an Alliance F70 or F100 on the route ?

Are Jetgo using their larger aircraft on BNE/ABX ?

Al E. Vator
16th Jul 2017, 23:27
WTF? Why are Australians always so pathetically unsupportive of innovation and people with at least the gumption to give stuff a go?

Take this miserable gem from Papa Jo: This mob would have as much hope affiliating themselves with the local McDonald's let alone Qantas or Virgin.
Why would anyone codeshare with them? Just let them go broke instead and the rest is history. Worked well for Air Australia.

Unbelievable.

Grivation
17th Jul 2017, 00:36
I'll certainly be travelling with them. You can spend 30mins just trying to get into SYD these days by car, and that frustration is before the exorbitant parking costs kick-in.

Good luck Jetgo!

777Nine
17th Jul 2017, 01:34
I really hope this works out for JetGo. Surely the Illawarra 's burgeoning population is enough to sustain this.

BNEA320
17th Jul 2017, 04:39
With Wollongong being Australias 10th largest city and 80km from KSA or well over a 1 hour 15 minute drive, it has amazed me that the likes of REX have not jumped at Albion Park
Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are both 100k from Brisbane and just 1 hour away and although they are touristy destinations, each support huge passenger numbers
Even Wellcamp is supporting multi-daily flights to Melbourne and Sydney

I think Jetgo will have great success on both routes with exactly the right sized aircraft for the routes and will likely end up 2-3 times daily on each route

Here's why
1) Those getting international connections will likely save money, even with the JetGo fare as there is greater discounting at Brisbane and Melbourne than Sydney
2) Those traveling from the Gong to Brisbane or Melbourne have a greater chance of making it to the airport on time at Albion Park
3) Albion park avoids the F6 M1 and often hours of fun and games and fog etc

JetGo just needs to keep in mind 2 things
1) keep flights on time
2) keep fares reasonable

The rest will take care of itself
how do you get from BNE to either OOL or MCY ? Do you have a porsche 911 turbo & drive fast at 2am, with no concern for speed limit ?

Don't think you'll be able to thru connect bags eg. flying Gong to MEL then international.

BNEA320
17th Jul 2017, 04:42
I think Qlink pulled the pin as they were retiring the aircraft, but also as Bluescope reduced its flying due to losing money.

International connections won't help looking st Melbourne as they fly to Essendon not Tullamarine, not sure how the times work out in Brisbane.

As much as it tries Wollongong is not a major tourist destination such as the Gold Coast. I'm sure Jetgo will be looking at Wollongong major industries to fill seats, such as the Uni and bluescope,though many of those users like frequency and lounge access.

I do wish the luck and I hope success but I agree that I think in 12 months they will be Jetgonenow that the real estate market has totally collapsed, it's more about the awful state of the economy than anything else.

Deano969
17th Jul 2017, 07:14
how do you get from BNE to either OOL or MCY ? Do you have a porsche 911 turbo & drive fast at 2am, with no concern for speed limit ?

BNE - MCY is all motorway at 100-110k, outside peak hour it is legally doable in just over 1 hour
BNE-OOL is also all motorway at 100-110k, outside peak hour it is legally doable in just over 1 hour
Gong-KSA is a lesser distance, however, about 1/2 the journey is main roads that average about 30km per hour, thus the extra travel time up to 90 minutes outside peak

With a local option for Wollongong, it makes no sense to drive 90 minutes each way, then pay ridiculously high parking charges and then deal with KSA to save $30-$50 a seat and on top of that run the risk of one accident or breakdown having you miss your flight

If JetGo were to scheduled their flights at 7.00am-10.00am or 4.00pm-7.00pm this would make them even more attractive as traveling to and from Sydney at these times would be at least a 2 hour trip

XPT
17th Jul 2017, 09:04
BNE - MCY is all motorway at 100-110k, outside peak hour it is legally doable in just over 1 hour
BNE-OOL is also all motorway at 100-110k, outside peak hour it is legally doable in just over 1 hour
Gong-KSA is a lesser distance, however, about 1/2 the journey is main roads that average about 30km per hour, thus the extra travel time up to 90 minutes outside peak

With a local option for Wollongong, it makes no sense to drive 90 minutes each way, then pay ridiculously high parking charges and then deal with KSA to save $30-$50 a seat and on top of that run the risk of one accident or breakdown having you miss your flight

If JetGo were to scheduled their flights at 7.00am-10.00am or 4.00pm-7.00pm this would make them even more attractive as traveling to and from Sydney at these times would be at least a 2 hour trip
Drive BNE/OOL every week & BNE/MCY twice a week & you're nuts if you think you can do either in less than 90 mins, esp MCY with all the roadworks from BNE to Bruce hwy.

Deano969
17th Jul 2017, 18:35
Drive BNE/OOL every week & BNE/MCY twice a week & you're nuts if you think you can do either in less than 90 mins, esp MCY with all the roadworks from BNE to Bruce hwy.

Good friend of mine drives daily Acacia Ridge to Kunda Park (Maroochydore) daily in a 12T truck speed limited to 100k and does the trip in 1 hour 20 minutes except if there are any incidents
9/10 trips are 1 hour 20 minutes or less

Depending where in Brisbane you start from, you can do the trip in under 1 hour from the north side on a good day

Tankengine
18th Jul 2017, 07:42
now that the real estate market has totally collapsed, it's more about the awful state of the economy than anything else.

Been looking to buy in Qld for a while, barring Moranbah, where has it collapsed?
You trot this out pretty often.

BNEA320
18th Jul 2017, 09:46
are you serious ? eg. There's a major glut of units in Brisbane. Many people are now buying heavily reduced units rather than houses, which is driving down the price of houses.

Lots of units hitting rental market, also means drop in yields for houses & units. A drop in yields basically means the houses/units are worth less to an investor, who bases the purchase price on what ROI they can get. Same thing to a lesser extent in SYD & MEL. If you believe the rubbish in the media, you're a bit silly. Remember the media earns many billions a year in real estate advertising & the media will try & talk it up, even when interest rateas rise a lot.

We buy & sell a lot of real estate. Last 12 months sold a lot. Now making many rough offers & some are being accepted. Start at 50% of asking price.

Bank repos are increasing as well.

Tankengine
18th Jul 2017, 13:55
are you serious ? eg. There's a major glut of units in Brisbane. Many people are now buying heavily reduced units rather than houses, which is driving down the price of houses.

Lots of units hitting rental market, also means drop in yields for houses & units. A drop in yields basically means the houses/units are worth less to an investor, who bases the purchase price on what ROI they can get. Same thing to a lesser extent in SYD & MEL. If you believe the rubbish in the media, you're a bit silly. Remember the media earns many billions a year in real estate advertising & the media will try & talk it up, even when interest rateas rise a lot.

We buy & sell a lot of real estate. Last 12 months sold a lot. Now making many rough offers & some are being accepted. Start at 50% of asking price.

Bank repos are increasing as well.

Anyone who has bought a unit in the centre of Brissie in the last few years needed their head read, looming oversupply was pretty obvious.
A bit of a glut is hardly the world falling apart. Immigration will sort it out in good time.
The houses I am looking at have increased in price over the last year, quality wins in the end.

BNEA320
19th Jul 2017, 05:29
Anyone who has bought a unit in the centre of Brissie in the last few years needed their head read, looming oversupply was pretty obvious.
A bit of a glut is hardly the world falling apart. Immigration will sort it out in good time.
The houses I am looking at have increased in price over the last year, quality wins in the end.
A valuation is not a sale.

Standard real estate salesmen line ...

your house will sell for $2m

Oh the market has tightened/crashed, you'll have to take $1.5m now, (quickly so I get my huge commission)

Banks are tightening up/rental yields are dropping/Chinese tightening up on funny money leaving the country. I'd say we're in for a massive recession.

It seems anyone under about 45 years of age, can't remember the last recession.

The worse places to buy right now are SYD, MEL, BNE in that order, unless you can buy at the right price. Anyone who pays asking price now is a fool & will get burnt badly.

Icarus2001
19th Jul 2017, 06:30
I'd say we're in for a massive recession.

Yes, you KEEP saying it on EVERY thread.

Nocookies | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/markets/rba-flags-higher-interest-rates/news-story/db608922f255d2f6a35bebbf10b02340)

They do not raise rates as we enter a recession do they?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/reserve-bank-meeting-minutes/8719438

Dollar surges as the WORLD but not BNEA320, factors in rate rises.

wishiwasupthere
19th Jul 2017, 06:43
Pfft, what would the RBA know? Travel agents are the ones who really have their finger on the pulse.

BNEA320/XPT, is it difficult to keep track of which username you're posting under?

BNEA320
19th Jul 2017, 10:55
Yes, you KEEP saying it on EVERY thread.

Nocookies | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/markets/rba-flags-higher-interest-rates/news-story/db608922f255d2f6a35bebbf10b02340)

They do not raise rates as we enter a recession do they?

Reserve Bank minutes: 'Neutral' interest rate rate around 3.5pc, Australian dollar surges - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/reserve-bank-meeting-minutes/8719438)

Dollar surges as the WORLD but not BNEA320, factors in rate rises.

wow you don;t get it do you ? Have you ever been through a recession? We have to have one. Growth has to end.

Its started. If you can't see it, you read too much crap in the newspapers who are trying to sell stuff, like overpriced real estate. musical chairs !!! Just don't be the last mug punter left or you'll be stuffed.

Have you read about all the real estate that didn't sell & vendors pulled it off the market. NO, cos the media doesn't want to report about that.

Think about this. Units sold off the plan for $1m with 10% deposit. On completion they are worth $800k or less probably. No one would be stupid enough to finalise on those figures, so they'll walk & there will be many developments like this in SYD, MEL & already in BNE & a glut of units, with all the developers taking anything they can get. (ok they got to keep the 10% deposit, but they will have to sell them at BIG discounts to move them)

TBM-Legend
19th Jul 2017, 11:29
As usual BNE320, expert on most things, only is looking at the apartment market. Try buying something nice in New Farm. Prices in good suburbs are going up...

BNEA320
19th Jul 2017, 12:49
As usual BNE320, expert on most things, only is looking at the apartment market. Try buying something nice in New Farm. Prices in good suburbs are going up...no everything is crashing. If people can get cheap apartments they will buy one rather than a house. Doesn't take much of a drop in demand to turn it into a buyers market. Have been involved in buying & selling real estate since just before the big crash in 1974, when many houses sold for 1/2 asking price. Paid for my retirement at 40. Anyone under 35 years, seems to have no idea of how a recession works.

Aviation is my new game.

criticalmass
19th Jul 2017, 21:11
Jetgo are flying an Embraer jet down to land at YWOL today for a media event. Winds are forecast westerly 15 to 25 kts. Not sure what the maximum crosswind for their jets is, but they will only be able to use runway 34/16 as they are overweight for 26/08.

Could be an interesting landing, or if it's too difficult, a few attempts and then head for home?

Icarus2001
20th Jul 2017, 00:47
wow you don;t get it do you ? Have you ever been through a recession? We have to have one. Growth has to end.

Yes I do.

Yes.

No.

Possibly.

You keep using apartments sales and a general real estate downturn to argue we are in recession. We are not. We also do not look like heading that way at present.

Do YOU get what a recession is?

Horatio Leafblower
20th Jul 2017, 02:14
For what it's worth, the only times I have seen airline hiring like this was 1989 (recession we had to have followed), 2001 (tech wreck recession+Sept 11 + Ansett folowed), 2008 (GFC followed).

...No pattern there.

Cleared Visual
20th Jul 2017, 07:19
Any actual updates on Jetgo and Wollongong? This one looks to be headed for Jet Blast...

BNEA320
20th Jul 2017, 07:38
Yes I do.

Yes.

No.

Possibly.

You keep using apartments sales and a general real estate downturn to argue we are in recession. We are not. We also do not look like heading that way at present.

Do YOU get what a recession is?PM saying rates will go up, so anyone with a mortgage will stop spending.

The bigger the boom, the bigger the crash

Rates will climb and borrowers should prepare, says Malcolm Turnbull (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rates-will-climb-and-borrowers-should-prepare-says-malcolm-turnbull-20170720-gxex1m.html)

porch monkey
20th Jul 2017, 07:46
Why does every freakin' thread you get involved in, regardless of the subject, become another argument about recessions?:mad:

dijical
20th Jul 2017, 08:04
Any actual updates on Jetgo and Wollongong? This one looks to be headed for Jet Blast...

JetGo's first Albion Park flight gives a sneak peek into the new service (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4801939/a-sneak-peek-inside-jetgos-first-illawarra-touchdown/?cs=298)

dijical
29th Oct 2017, 11:30

The long awaited first flight out of Wollongong Airport takes off tomorrow morning at 7am for Melbourne Essendon.

I had a look at the new terminal and general set-up at the airport this afternoon. Council look to have done a very decent job given that they were starting from scratch.

I have a ticket for the ride down (first ticket sold I believe), returning in the evening. Very much looking forward to seeing how it all goes. Given that there has never been an RPT operation at Wollongong that has been sustained for more than a short period, it will be fascinating to see how Jetgo goes with this venture.

das Uber Soldat
31st Oct 2017, 03:42
Bit of a tangent but I heard Jetgo 20 (maybe 21) conduct an emergency descent today. Crew were on oxy. Anything interesting happen?

rexxxxxy
31st Oct 2017, 03:48
Bit of a tangent but I heard Jetgo 20 (maybe 21) conduct an emergency descent today. Crew were on oxy. Anything interesting happen?

JETGO Australia (JG) #21 ? 31-Oct-2017 ? TSV / YBTL - YOSB ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/JGO21/history/20171030/2335Z/YBTL/YOSB)

TBM-Legend
31st Oct 2017, 05:05
WOL-MEL flight was not full by any means looking at the news footage. Grab some freebees and fill her up looks good for TV...

Horatio Leafblower
1st Nov 2017, 02:55
Given that there has never been an RPT operation at Wollongong that has been sustained for more than a short period, it will be fascinating to see how Jetgo goes with this venture.

djical,

My recollection was that Impulse ran WOL-MEL for 4-5 years and Qlink for at least a couple of years after Impulse pulled out. :confused:

jibba_jabba
14th Nov 2017, 03:15
djical,

My recollection was that Impulse ran WOL-MEL for 4-5 years and Qlink for at least a couple of years after Impulse pulled out. :confused:

That was when there was a robust employment hub called the "steelworks". With contracts and govt subsidies running on high.

Now, instead, the Wollongong Council have $$$$ in their eyes by doing what almost every council does, and thats sell out to rampant over development (you know, $ per square meter in rates; The trickle down economic b.s).

So there is a hope that the "increased population" will travel from the airport on these services; However, depends on how many corrupt out of town developers want to come up and loot the Illawarra? Maybe after that runs slow, there may be a change of heart?

Deano969
14th Nov 2017, 07:57
A lot more people living in the Illawarra now days
Jetgo may just surprise everyone on this route

Looks like they are getting an ERJ-145 soon, any one know if this is a replacement for one of their remaining 135s or are they building their fleet to 5 ?

LostProperty
14th Nov 2017, 22:49
A lot more people living in the Illawarra now days
Jetgo may just surprise everyone on this route

Looks like they are getting an ERJ-145 soon, any one know if this is a replacement for one of their remaining 135s or are they building their fleet to 5 ?

The Australian had an airports advertising supplement yesterday that carried a puff piece about JetGo's Illawarra flights. I'm not posting a link because it's behind a paywall but the article alluded to passenger capacity greater than the E135 in the near future (I've never heard of an E145 but would it have many more seats than a 135)? The article also referred to an application by JetGo to use Nowra as an alternate if the Illawarra wind is not favorable.

Horatio Leafblower
15th Nov 2017, 02:02
The article also referred to an application by JetGo to use Nowra as an alternate if the Illawarra wind is not favorable.

The HMAS Albatross boys don't like to share, so good luck with that.
Full control deflection in IMC in the dark is not unusual at YWOL in the winter.
....so good luck with that too!
What's the X-W limit on those things?

havick
15th Nov 2017, 02:18
Full control deflection in IMC in the dark is not unusual at YWOL in the winter.
....so good luck with that too!
What's the X-W limit on those things?

30kt x-wind limit

havick
15th Nov 2017, 02:19
The Australian had an airports advertising supplement yesterday that carried a puff piece about JetGo's Illawarra flights. I'm not posting a link because it's behind a paywall but the article alluded to passenger capacity greater than the E135 in the near future (I've never heard of an E145 but would it have many more seats than a 135)? The article also referred to an application by JetGo to use Nowra as an alternate if the Illawarra wind is not favorable.

50 seats on a 145

dijical
16th Nov 2017, 03:17
The Australian had an airports advertising supplement yesterday that carried a puff piece about JetGo's Illawarra flights. ...The article also referred to an application by JetGo to use Nowra as an alternate if the Illawarra wind is not favorable.

The article also said that the council was going to look for funds to upgrade the east-west runway at Wollongong: "The airport’s funding application will likely stress the need to upgrade its second, east-west runway, which is too short and soft for JetGo’s Embraers."

That cross runway is quite short - how is that a realistic ambition?

hiwaytohell
16th Nov 2017, 04:38
I think the airport has long term plans to strengthen and lengthen 08/26 to get 1,600 metres and install lighting.

LeadSled
16th Nov 2017, 13:39
Folks,
And yet it was civil funds that upgraded navaids some years ago, ostensibly to encourage civil movement related to development of an industrial park.
Tootle Pip!!

blackburn
17th Nov 2017, 04:51
A fairly well known cargo operator has recently had their use of Nowra terminated and funnily enough a lot of the cargo carried was destined for Albatross. The powers that be apparently do not want anyone using Nowra unless it is entirely defence related. I guess their museum will soon be off limits for the public too.
Blackburn

TBM-Legend
17th Nov 2017, 09:22
Ah for the good old days at NAS Nowra with the Masling B80 Queen Air sailing around Nowra Hill in the fog/low cloud searching for the runway or on a good day or night a "practice" GCA in the soup...

mgahan
17th Nov 2017, 23:02
Ah, yes - GCAs with Masling and Eastern and TAA - but from a bit north of the NAS.

Still out there PJ?

MJG

TBM-Legend
18th Nov 2017, 04:58
I don't recall TAA at YSNW....

RMCF

LeadSled
18th Nov 2017, 05:35
A fairly well known cargo operator has recently had their use of Nowra terminated and funnily enough a lot of the cargo carried was destined for Albatross. The powers that be apparently do not want anyone using Nowra unless it is entirely defence related.

Folks,
After all, we would not want anything interrupting the high tempo. operations of the massive fleets of high performance Navy aircraft, would we.

Actually, the Admirals seem to have an inordinate (indeed, unrealistic - seeing as the taxpayer paid/pays for it all) aversion to the possibility of any civil liability, consequent on any occurrence at Albatross that might, in their vivid imaginations, be possible, no matter how improbable.

Apparently, Crown Indemnity is not enough.
Tootle pip!!

TBM-Legend
18th Nov 2017, 09:44
Williamtown, Townsville, Darwin don't seem to be a problem...

In Ye Olde Days Nowra had a small civil terminal on the northern side of the base,,,

LeadSled
19th Nov 2017, 00:52
TBM-Legend,
But, you must understand, that is not the Navy.
The navy (even the RAN, in best RN "tradition"), regard themselves as the "Senior Service" --- do you remember the cigarettes??
Slight thread drift, did you notice, in the recent AIC from Airservices, in the 80 pages of datapoints that were to be wiped from the AIP, along with most major hospital EMS helipads, Airservices could not find the RAN.
That will solve the JetGo Albatross access problem, HMAS Albatross will aeronautically cease to exist.
Tootle pip!!

PS: Flinders and several other major RAN installations were on the ASA hit list, in truth, can't remember if Albatross was on said list.

dijical
29th Nov 2017, 12:27
Interesting report today in the Illawarra Mercury (http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5090480/illawarra-jetgo-services-flying-high-after-a-month-in-the-air/).

Of note:
"Since October 30, 76 return flights ... carrying about 2800 passengers to and from Brisbane or Melbourne." At a rough calculation, that's a load factor of 50% - not bad.

Also of note:
"Of the 76 flights in the first month, five of them saw disruptions for passengers.Three of the disruptions were weather-related, while two were the result of delays that meant the planes would have arrived after last light. Prior to recent approval from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA),the aircraft were unable to land at Albion Park in the dark.

Mr Bredereck said a number of measures had been put in place at the airport to assist pilots in times of bad weather, including new instrument approaches. The improved approaches align the aircraft with the runway they are landing on, preventing the need for them to circle beforehand, and will allow for a lower minimal descent altitude in times of low cloud or poor visibility. “All our pilots have now flown the instrument approaches into Wollongong in the flight simulator,” he said. “We’ve dialled the weather up in the simulator … they’re now well practised on that.” The new approaches are yet to be validated by CASA. However, the test flights required for approval should be completed by Christmas. "

Sounds like a lot of work is still being done to make YWOL functional for RPT - the planes couldn't land after dark?

dijical
6th Dec 2017, 21:31
Sounds like a lot of work is still being done to make YWOL functional for RPT - the planes couldn't land after dark?

There's a new website for Wollongong Airport (http://www.wollongongairport.com) ;)
Quite good.

FPDO
7th Dec 2017, 04:25
Hes blaming the people of Hervey Bay for not wanting to go south because its to cold.
But its whale season up their and southerners flock to the warmer climate this time of the year.

too you forgot a letter " o"

dijical
12th Dec 2017, 10:46
A sad day that's come sooner rather than later to Wollongong Airport - the introduction of parking charges (http://www.wollongongairport.com/news.html) :{

Cost ranges from $12/day down to $50/week.

TBM-Legend
12th Dec 2017, 11:36
Every year the parking charges will rise from this thin edge of the wedge. Of course the terminal fee and possible landing charge "holiday" will end and the 'Gong gets the gong!

dijical
12th Dec 2017, 11:52
Every year the parking charges will rise from this thin edge of the wedge. Of course the terminal fee and possible landing charge "holiday" will end and the 'Gong gets the gong!

True, but I'd have thought that they'd at least wait until the service was properly bedded down. Not after its been running only for a single month and with barely 50% loads.

Free parking is such a big draw when competing with Sydney. Doing this is shooting yourself in the foot. They obviously have no idea.