PDA

View Full Version : Photo's

SPIT
5th Jul 2017, 16:41
Hi
Whilst looking through some Old Pictures of Aircraft I came across some pictures of 44 and 97 Squadron Lincolns in the early 50's.They were taken by a friend (now deceased) who took them when he was stationed in Africa. Does anyone know where this may have been. I have tried to put the pictures on PPRUNE but alas being computer illiterate it will NOT work,(any ideas) :{:{.

Philoctetes
5th Jul 2017, 19:32
Try this: Below the Quick Reply message box is a Go Advanced box.
Click on it.
A new window opens and in the top row of options next to the Smilies icon, is a box called Attachments (hover your mouse over to see label) Click on it and a new box opens. Use the Browse option to find the picture on your computer you wish to upload.
Hope this helps, I have added a Crusaders Cross to check it works!

PS I assume the photos have already been saved on your computer - if not you will need to scan them and save them to My Pictures, then the with the Browse option above you can find them again for upload.

Herod
5th Jul 2017, 21:04
Does that mean we can now bypass photobucket?

DaveReidUK
5th Jul 2017, 21:23
Does that mean we can now bypass photobucket?

Yes, although the facility to upload photos to PPRuNe isn't anything new.

Herod
5th Jul 2017, 21:34
OK, thanks. I didn't know that. Might be worth making it known. A few people have been complaining recently that photobucket are charging

longer ron
6th Jul 2017, 09:09
Photobucket are charging a lot - or at least they are ransoming photobucket users if they want to post forum images (3rd party hosting).

I could not work out the percentage fee increase which is from zero (free) to $400 per annum.

I would imagine that most users are voting with their feet and going to other photohosting sites (we have).

The trouble with putting images directly onto forums is there is usually a limit to how many images you can post (ie limited storage) - not sure what that limit is on pprune (if any).

Planemike
6th Jul 2017, 10:27
Will be interested to see the photos when they appear. I would have guessed NAIROBI Eastleigh as the location. This now seems unlikely as 44 & 97 Squadrons did not detach there during the Mau Mau emergency.

PPRuNe Towers
6th Jul 2017, 10:40
No limits here,

The quick and dirty method described above but stored on the thread in our archives. Have to search to find the photo over time but you know it should be on the machine you posted with.

Have a play in the yellow box at the top of the page and you'll find you can create your own albums for long term storage.

Implications:

Option One stores at up to 2000 pixels on the longest edge of an image.

Option Two: Much more space and organised collections but 800 pixel limit on longest edge of image. VGA is standard for child coders who couldn't afford newer text books I suspect :ok:

Seeking the same size limits as Option One but expect instinctive resistance. I'll just ask them what percentage of server space is devoted to image files.

Rob

SPIT
7th Jul 2017, 15:07

2509As I said HERE are the pictures of the 44/97 Squadron Lincolns

oldpax
7th Jul 2017, 19:12
Looks like Eastliegh,on the edge of Nairobi.

Planemike
8th Jul 2017, 11:26
Looks like Eastliegh,on the edge of Nairobi.

See my msg # 07..........

Warmtoast
8th Jul 2017, 23:04
SPIT

Just a thought, but could these aircraft have been doing surveys for the Post-war East Africa ground-nuts scheme?

Judd
9th Jul 2017, 13:56
Thread drift but couldn't help myself. See third photo down showing a relative close up of No's, 3 and 4 engines of the Lincoln with its open bomb bay doors.
Having done my usual (?) :E faultless walk around pre-flight, I stood in the gangway of the cockpit to start the engines. New pilot in left seat as it was a conversion to type. Pressed the starter and booster buttons for No 3. The prop turned and the Merlin started. Instantly there was a resounding bang of metal on metal and the No 3 spinner disappeared.
Airman down below much arm waving and pointing.

Clambered down ladder from front nose hatch and was shocked to see gaping hole in bomb bay open door and shrapnel on the tarmac.:eek:
The No. 3 spinner had fallen off and like a No 5 iron shot, a spinning propeller despatched it straight through the open bomb bay door.
Subsequent investigation revealed all four spinners had been incorrectly secured after maintenance. I was glad the hit wasn't a little higher as my feet may have copped it. The spinners had looked in place to me during the walk-around but then again I wasn't carrying a magnifying glass:rolleyes:

noflynomore
10th Jul 2017, 10:12
Lincolns were used for bombing ops against the Mau Mau from about 1953 onwards so this would surely have involved Eastleigh. Wiki says they dropped 6Million (yes, 6M) bombs so it wasn't a minor exercise.

Planemike
10th Jul 2017, 13:53
Indeed Lincolns were used in the bombing operations against the Mau Mau from 1953 onwards. (Kept me awake at night, I was at boarding school in Nyeri at the time !!!). Think the 6 million bombs is a bit out, even 6 million LBS sounds high. Yes, they all operated from RAF Eastleigh.
The Squadrons involved were:- 49 Sqn 11 Nov 53 - 6 Jan 54, 100 Sqn Jan 54 - March 54, 61 Sqn March 54 - 19 June 54, 214 Sqn 6 June 54 - 10 December 54, 49 Sqn 30 November 54 - 7 February 55, 21 Sqn 6 March 55 - 13 June 55.

OUAQUKGF Ops
25th Jul 2017, 08:51
Just testing how to post photo taken at Northrepps (Cromer) last Summer.