PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here?

gavinnet
28th Nov 2001, 21:55
Im a 13 year old kid (Year 8) and have had my mind set on flying since I was 7. I just love anything to do with it. I already know a fair bit about planes as my dad is a licensed avoinics engineer for BA.

Boss Raptor
28th Nov 2001, 22:02
At 14 I started working at my local flying club, voluntarily (got a meal allowance), on a weekend...cleaning, fuelling, reception...was good fun and got me many rides and insight into the industry and my future path...got an Air League partial PPL sponsorship at 17...

Try White Waltham this is your local airfield and used to be quite friendly...go up there and get yourself seen :)

gavinnet
28th Nov 2001, 22:08
Thanks, i forgot about the airfield. Any other ideas anyone please?

(And what I might need to eventually do in schooling)

KD
28th Nov 2001, 22:44
All depends on what you want to go into . I knew from the age of 10 I wanted to be a pilot , but to tell the Careers Officer that only made him laugh and say " So does everyone else mate .

Wanted to be an airline pilot, ended up in the RAF flying fast things . Love it .

I won`t get into the " Do this it`s great , or leave this it`s rubbish" Far too much of that goes on and it`s too confusing.

For me I joined Air Cadets . Didn`t like it at first because all the nerdy people from school that me and my mates picked on (shamed to say it ! ) were the corporals that made me clean the toilets !! But it`s a great opportunity to meet loads of people and do things you`d never get to otherwise.

Joined the UAS also . Great fun . Again opportunities up the ying yang .

Spend the time you have doing what makes you happy. Don`t do it because you think it`ll be good for a career. Made that mistake by picking Physics at uni and not something I enjoyed.

Fraid I don`t know much about the civvie side .

Good luck on whatever you do . I wish you the best . Finally never put all your eggs in one basket . If i didn`t make it as a pilot , I had no back up plan . Very Risky. Have other options ! ;)

gavinnet
28th Nov 2001, 23:33
thanks, I suppose you're right do what I like doin. I've looked at the RAF and it looks great fun, what's the pay like and whats the up and downs of it.

KD
29th Nov 2001, 00:02
The RAF is indeed a double edged sword . Here goes .

ON THE MINUS

1)You are in the military. Sounds a very silly thing to say but I think it`s something people fob off and don`t really think about. If there`s a war , you will go . People will be out to do their level best to kill you. Regardless of where you are in your life , your commitment is the same ie Young 21 yr old "mad for it" or 28 yr , just married , baby on it`s way . Think about it hard if it`s what you want.

2) You will find yourself "messed" around. It`s part of the job. 6 mths ago I was 6000 miles from where I am now and didn`t think I would be . You will live most of the early part of your life with kit across the UK , moving every 6 - 8 mths on courses. You may think you are off to X and then a week before get told your off to Y. Hard to set roots / keep relationships going.

3) The military way of life is different to what you`ll know . Hard to explain and it`s different for everyone. Some people just click into the whole social/work thing , others feel completely out of the loop. Things like ATC and UAS give you a good insight to "life"

ON THE PLUS

1) The flying you do is awesome. At a young age you are given a lot of responsibility ie Take that Tucano/Hawk and land it at an airfield , solo . Nothing gets the heart racing more than taking a Hawk low level through the Welsh countyside !

2) You will be part of a ready made group of mates you will keep in touch with for the rest of your time.

3) Whilst living on base in the Officers Mess can get tiresome , it`s great to come home , have your meals made for you , your room cleaned and a bar with all your mates walking distance away.

3) "Living in" usually means high disposable income . Cue the Z3`s and snazzy watches.

4) Chicks dig it (esp Foreign ones ;)

As for the pay , I beleive you`ll start off on 18k or so , depending on education level. By 24 you should be on around 30 k (inc Fly pay )

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2001, 00:08
At 13, I'd suggest: -

(1) See if the local gliding club has a young members section.

(2) Try and joing Air Scouts. They've a website somewhere which shouldn't be too hard to find. Basically, they're a branch of normal Scouts with a lot of aviation ties - some troops are formally RAF sponsored.

(3) If (1) and (2) don't work, wait until you're [14½?] and join air Cadets.

(4) Try and persuade a suitably gullible adult to take you to some of the places you can get really close to aeroplanes, such as: -

- International airsports exhibition at Telford this weekend.
- Popham in May
- Cranfield in July
- Local club fly-ins. Search the internet, you'll find loads of them all over the place.

(5) If all else fails, try the young members section of the BMFA (British Model Flying Association), it may not be flying, but it's certainly aviation.

(6) Make friends at a local flying club, there are bound to be people who'll gladly take you flying. Especially if you are prepared to do the odd job in return and can show that you're responsible around aeroplanes. And don't be choosy, if the local flying club flies gliders or microlights, that's great - I'd personally draw the line at gyroplanes mind you.

(7) Whilst worrying about all the above, there's a young people's lecture on aviation (aimed at 14-18 years, but I wouldn't let a year worry you) at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London on Wed 30 Jan. You can get tickets by phoning the RAeS on 020 7670 4342

(8) Have you been round the launchpad and flight stuff at the Science Museum? I can think of far worse ways of spending a winter weekend.

G

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2001, 00:20
Oh yes the schooling bit.

Whatever you're aiming to do, you'll need good maths and science (especially physics), under no circumstances let go of them.

Apart from that, it depends very much upon what you are aiming for. Increasingly both the services and airlines regard piloting as a postgraduate qualification, and science or engineering degrees are looked upon most highly.

If like me you fall in love with the technical side of aviation, then an aeronautics degree needs good A-levels in Maths and Physics. It doesn't stop you turning into a pilot (I have), but opens up many fascinating options - the chance to work on military or civil aircraft, spacecraft, the lot (I've done all of that).

But don't lose track of hobbies, sport, recreational flying, etc. will all do you good and anybody likely to pay for your technical or flying training will look suspiciously upon anybody who has ONLY ever done schoolwork.

G

gavinnet
2nd Dec 2001, 01:43
Thanks to KD & Genghis the Engineer for there help. It's been helpful. I thought would my dad being an engineer for BA increase or decrease my chances of bein a pilot?

thecoltster
2nd Dec 2001, 02:10
Another great idea, that is really worth exploring is concerning work experence. (I think most schools still do this) In a few years time when your school asks you to find somewhere to do work experience, a project on a company or something similar, go and contact an aviation related comany, maybe this approach can help you get your 'foot in the door'? As long as you don't make a pest of yourself or mess people around it will give you a great chance to make some excellent 'contacts' for the future as well as give you an insiders view of the industry.
Best of Luck

Bluejay
3rd Dec 2001, 05:13
Hi The 13 Year Old Kid,

First of all I would like to say that I know how you feel, my Dad is a retired pilot and from as far back as I can remember I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF, unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control (medical) I was unable to fulfill that particular dream.

However I would definitly look at joining the Air Training Corps (www.air-cadets.org) which you can join at the age of 13 and stay until 22. :cool:

I was a cadet myself (CCF(RAF)) before uni and had the time of my life, I am now involved with the ATC as an adult member of staff (Adult Warrant Officer) and I still love it the opportunities for you guys are outstanding what with flying (takes priority 1 over all else), shooting, sports, gliding, camps etc, etc, etc.

Yes we do do alot of Drill and things like that and most cadets really enjoy it. Especially if your Squadron is involved in a local parade.

Anyway best of luck in all you do, if you want more info on the corps or the CCF (if you go to a school that has one) then drop me a line, also check out the website that I mentioned earlier it is very good and on the links page you may even find your local squadron (go to Registered ACO Sites)

Again best of luck

Bluejay :)

jimmyj
5th Dec 2001, 15:02
Hi Kid,

I can't believe you haven't joined the Air Cadets yet. I joined at 16 and left at 18 and in those two years I managed about 40 hours powered flying experience (Chipmunk, Bulldog, Jetstream, Dominie, Sea king, Firefly etc.) and also earned various Gliding badges.

Despite the fact that arrogant nerds wearing Corporal/Sergeant badges and abusing their authority will get on your tits, the chance to fly for free cannot be turned down. Showing such enthusiasm for flying will prove to employers of the future that you are serious.

As for school; Maths, Science and English are very important for flying but so is the stuff you enjoy. Try to find a balance and if you fancy the RAF, try to keep fit and maybe join your footy/rugby team etc.

There has also been a mention of work experience in one of these replies, I managed to do mine at RAF Cranwell twice. The RAF are more than willing to take work experience kids but it takes a while to process the admin so if you fancy that, try to sort it out as early as possible.

I wish I was as level headed at 13 as you sound, you seem to have the sense to plan things well, good luck.

GJB
5th Dec 2001, 21:52
Why not contact your nearest flying club - ask them to keep you in mind should at any time, a pilot has a spare seat and is willing to take you flying.

I don't know how many times I have flown with 2 spare seats in the back. I for one am very enthusiastic to share the marvel of flying, with anyone who is interested. I know there are many more GA pilots out there who feel they same way.

Other than that, work hard at school and don't be detered by career advisers or teachers who tend to rubbish youngsters with such ambitions. Good luck!

theodor
9th Dec 2001, 03:44
You might not need any more advise, but only one way to go. LEARN TO FLY GLIDERS. First of all you get to know a lot of pro´s and secondly you learn to fly, no I mean really fly.
Best of luck, you are getting into the greatest job there is.

sun
If you can dream it, you can do it !

AeroBatfink
12th Dec 2001, 03:40
There are so many ideas in this post that I wish I'd at least tried at the right age! Unfortunately, the general opinion around me while I was younger was that flying was something 'other people' did. I've since found out that's not the case and I'm trying to make up for lost time (and loving every minute!! :D). What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't listen too closely to discouragement from people who don't really know what they're talking about - and you will run into people who try to tell you that it's not possible...

One thing I really wish I'd done is join the ATC or UAS - flying is never cheap, even when you're earning good money, so a chance to build some hours for free is worth looking into. As well as the other benefits you get from it! And gliding is something I want to get into - I imagine that sort of experience would be invaluable if you were ever unlucky enough to have an engine failure...

Also, remember that although airline and military flying is the sort you hear about most often, there are so many other types of flying potentially open to you (although you wouldn't realise that to talk to most careers advisors!). And it's something you can do anywhere in the world! Look into it - maybe get hold of a copy of Flyer magazine's "Learn to Fly" supplement for some ideas.

I'm not sure if you're already into this, but flight simulators are used by many real-world pilots to practice techniques or just play around (not often you get chance to barrel roll a 737 in real life!). I'm also told that flight simmers tend to be quicker learners when it comes to real world flying training - although I did it the wrong way round. :rolleyes: I suppose you might already be way ahead of me there, anyway...

Most of all, be aware, it will be very hard work getting there, it will be expensive (at some point in your training at least) but it will be worth it!

Best of luck,
AB

gavinnet
15th Dec 2001, 18:14
I've used the proper simulators up at Heathrow before (my dad got me in) and they were great fun and I found it quite easy as well (with a little help from my dad)

But THANKS everyone for all your GREAT anwsers and HELP you have given me in this topic!
:)