PDA

View Full Version : Flight and Duty Times

Density
5th Jul 2017, 09:05
Here's a flight and duty question for all you CAO48.1 experts. Assume 2 crew in non-agricultural operations.

Ok so let's say the duty was greater than 11hours (11.75 hr) and arrival time is scheduled for 10pm however you arrive at 10:30pm. Would the rest period be:

a) 10 hours plus an hour per 15 mins over 11 hours (ie. 13 hours) due to being outside of 10pm and 6am. or

b) 9 hours plus an hour per 15 mins over 11 hours (i.e. 12 hours) due to 1.2 noting that 9 hours rest for arrival not after 11pm and as long as next shift not great than 6 hours duty?

c) Other?

Cheers

olderairhead
5th Jul 2017, 09:30
1.2.1 Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph 1.2 of this subsection, when an aircraft is scheduled to arrive at such a time that the pilots would be free of
duty not later than 10 pm local time and the aircraft delayed beyond that time,
the 9 hour rest period prescribed may be commenced up to 11 pm local time,
provided the succeeding tour of duty does not exceed 6 hours.

1.3 An operator shall not roster a pilot for a tour of duty in excess of 11 hours.

Was the roster greater than 11 hours?
What is the scheduled sign on?

Need more info.

Density
5th Jul 2017, 09:34
Ok so let's say the sign on is 11am; sign off 10pm and actual sign off is 10:30pm

jibba_jabba
5th Jul 2017, 10:27
Dont worry about it.......

By the time you figure it out CASA would have granted an exemption to your company to screw you guys over..... say goodbye to 10 years off your life courtesy of 1950's CASA science!

All in the "interest of safety" of course!
:sad:

Oldmanemu
5th Jul 2017, 11:21
CASA science ... please explain?

olderairhead
5th Jul 2017, 22:59
So what is the next days duty? If it is less than 6 hours then 9 hours but if it is more than 6 then it is 10.

Or work under an FMS and you can work until you collapse. ;)

framer
6th Jul 2017, 08:25
Or work under an FMS and you can work until you collapse.
It's funny cause it's true :)

Shot Nancy
6th Jul 2017, 10:46
I can't answer your question but I've worked for a few a few airlines where the minimum rest was 10 hours "in" your hotel room and I found it to be quite good.
Sleeping on the bus to and from the hotel in Perth for 9 hours off total is rubbish.
Companies ignoring the time zone issues and claiming less rest exemptions is more rubbish.

knobbycobby
6th Jul 2017, 11:26
The new plan under FRMS
Unless pilots actually go fatigued, the companies can slowly ratchet up work hours/duties in excess of current rules.
No pilots go fatigue= No problem!
Pilots will go sick as they are too scared to call in fatigued, but it won't register as fatigue so the work hours will creep higher and higher.
Domestic pilots can sleep during extended transits anyway.
FRMS will have pilots working more not less.
Someone say Bonus time for management?