PDA

View Full Version : Central Africa Photo Safari

Cyclone7
5th Jul 2017, 03:03
Advice, comments and input needed from that vast data base out there please. I have been asked to do a feasibility study for a Bell 206 photo safari around Africa south, for about April next year - this could be adjusted if better weather is expected for another time.
Basically, all about water and whatever is associated with it. I am happy with the coastal sections up the west coast and down the east coast, it is the section between Brazzaville and Kampala that concerns me. Safety and fuel availability for starters.
Camera's in Africa make the powers that be paranoid, another aspect to be considered. Mosquitoes and health too, and I suspect much dodgy food and digs.
Standing by for the wisdom......thanks in advance

Flyting
5th Jul 2017, 07:34
Make contact with the big operators in SA who do work up there and further north as they will have contacts for airport handlers, fuel, hotels etc.
Ferried both coasts before and the western side of africa will cost you a lot more in bribes. The east is much friendlier and helpfull!

Aeronautic Solutions
Wild dog
Ultimate Heli
Starlite... to name just a few

hueyracer
5th Jul 2017, 13:01
I can safe you that hazzle.

There is no fuel for a Jet Ranger between Brazzaville and Kampala....

Longest stretch is between 700 and 1100 NM with no possibility to refueel.

You will need a provider to drop fuel at certain locations, and will still not be able to do it, as you have to fly from one airport with customs and immigrations to another without landing anywhere else...

There is only one company in tbat region that has done it before-and it was not cheap.....

Cyclone7
6th Jul 2017, 02:22
Thanks guys, hueyracer and Flyting, that has cleared it up a bit for me. Will need to look at another route along other waterways from the west to east coasts. Nothing beats those that have gone before and have that first hand experience.

hueyracer
6th Jul 2017, 04:54
If you want some amazing pictures, go to Uganda (Murchisson Falls), and fly to DRC (amazing waterfall around 60 NM south of Bunia), then fly to the Ndali Lodge (located on the tim of a volcanic lake, landing in the lodge on the rim), and take a tour up to Rwenzori mountains...

soggyboxers
6th Jul 2017, 10:19
Bristow flew their AW139 from Dar es Salaam to Lagos about 18 months ago. I can find from my friends out which route they took if it's of interest to you. I also have a friend who ferried a Dauphin from Douala to Khartoum a few years back

GoodGrief
6th Jul 2017, 10:47
The keyword here is 'ferry'.

Big ferry/aux tank and cruising at 10000 feet.
Not exactly what the OP was aking for.