PDA

View Full Version : Caravan Amphibian Crosswind limit?

My names Turkish
4th Jul 2017, 13:50
Nothing more than idle curiosity, can't seem to find the limit online. Would anyone know what the crosswind limit is for landing an Amphibian Caravan on a runway rather than on the water is or the max demonstrated?

slatch
5th Jul 2017, 05:02
Not much. better have a long wide runway if more than 10 knots component. You can not really crab it and wing low technique is reduced by the weight of the floats so far below the aircraft. Add in brake issues, seeing they see a lot of water. Even in the best of conditions you need to stay ahead on runway landings. Water is easy, usually runway unlimited, always direct headwind. Of course glassy water another story.

My names Turkish
5th Jul 2017, 09:29
Thanks for the answer, that's what I had thought.

So there is no float specific limitation just the max demonstrated crosswind limit of the aircraft itself?

slatch
6th Jul 2017, 05:12
All my company manuals are in the states, am I am not there so I can not review them. But I do not remember Any firm demonstrated crosswind numbers. Was always easier in twin otter using differential thrust. Caravan in strong cross wind on land...no flaps..put it down power on and slowly reduce thrust as the brakes started to work. No or one brake, full power and leave. But now that Cessna is doing factory floats on Caravans there may be some numbers out there.

sycamore
6th Jul 2017, 15:53
You could ask `Step Turn` ,as he does some testing and floatplane stuff on Caravans.Usually on `private flying ,or `accident ` forums..see on the right sidebar for his name