PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 421 in flight breakup kills six

rotornut
4th Jul 2017, 05:14
6 killed after small airplane fell apart in the air in Wisconsin | CP24.com (http://www.cp24.com/world/6-killed-after-small-airplane-fell-apart-in-the-air-in-wisconsin-1.3487154)

clunckdriver
5th Jul 2017, 14:18
Last week we flew our 421B around the East coast, the turbulence was just nasty, I made a comment to the F/O that I wished I hadn't taken structures years ago, this crash brings it home that these aircraft are ageing and many spend much of the time in rather rough conditions, it pays to do at least most of the SIDS on these aircraft, even if they are not mandatory in many cases. A great loss of life, may they rest in peace.

JPJP
6th Jul 2017, 03:16
I found the Sheriffs comments to be unusually cryptic - "We're dealing with things that people just don't want to talk about or see," Price County Sheriff Brian Schmidt told local media.

A localized weather phenomena. :suspect:

Passenger 389
8th Jul 2017, 01:04
On 6th July 2017, 03:16, JPJP wrote:

I found the Sheriffs comments to be unusually cryptic - "We're dealing with things that people just don't want to talk about or see," Price County Sheriff Brian Schmidt told local media.
Unsure of context for quote. But makes sense if Sheriff was talking about remains of six persons that just fell from high altitude.

I would compliment him on such discretion, and for not feeding the tabloids and TV ("if it bleeds, it leads").

Or was that the point you were trying to make when you called his comments "unusually cryptic" and I simply misunderstood?

421dog
3rd Aug 2017, 20:29
Just out on NTSB website:

...According to Federal Aviation Administration air traffic control (ATC) and radar records, the airplane was flying about 10,000 feet mean sea level when the pilot queried the ATC controller about weather conditions in the vicinity. Preliminary radar data showed the airplane between 10,000 and 10,500 feet in a slight left turn and then a descending right turn. After the right turn, radio contact was lost and the airplane descended rapidly. There were no distress calls from the pilot. According to preliminary weather data, the airplane was flying in VMC weather conditions when radar contact was lost. Search and rescue operations were started immediately after radar contact was lost.

The nearest weather reporting facility to the accident was located about 15 miles east of the accident site in Phillips, Wisconsin. Price County Airport (PBH) reported visual meteorological conditions in the vicinity of the accident. PBH METAR 010635Z AUTO 36003KT 10SM BKN006 14/14 A2986 RMK AO2 T01350135. Regional weather radar did not report any convection or thunderstorms coincident with the airplane's flightpath, or near to the flightpath. The accident site was located about 25 miles to the east of convective activity with no coincidental lightning....

Curiouser and Curiouser.