PDA

View Full Version : DH Canada Day

India Four Two
1st Jul 2017, 15:53
When I arrived at my gliding club this morning for my tow-pilot shift, I saw this beauty, which is owned by and was rebuilt by a club member.

How appropriate - a Canadian-built DH-82c Tiger Moth on Canada Day. A 75 year old aeroplane, half as old as Canada.

A lovely calm morning - as the owner said "It's Group Captain flying weather!"

megan
2nd Jul 2017, 01:18
Interesting to see it has trim tabs, presumably stock standard for the C. Any idea why the change from the cheesecutter/spring?

India Four Two
2nd Jul 2017, 03:46
megan,

I hadn't noticed that. I'll talk to the owner tomorrow morning.

A discussion here: http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/532461-tiger-moth-3.html#post8310108

India Four Two
2nd Jul 2017, 03:58
Shortly after my first post, my friend left to fly the five miles home. If he had gone straight there, he wouldn't have had such an adventure, but being Canada Day, he decided to fly at 1000' AGL down the main street of the nearby town of Black Diamond.

While doing so, the engine coughed and a diversion back to the glider field was initiated. The engine then completely quit and he landed in a hay field less than a mile from the glider field.

The failure was due to a fatigue crack in the fuel feed pipe, just below the fuel shutoff valve at the base of the tank. A call to a friend resulted in the delivery of various pipe fittings and a "field" repair was carried out. ;)

By now the crosswind at the home field was out of limits, so the Tiger returned to the gliding field, where it was put to bed for the night, as thunder showers bore down on the field.