PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flight Checks

sneetch
13th Jul 2002, 10:09
Hi all!
I am currently about half way through my PPL(H) training and overall having a great time. But one thing has been bothering me a little. My concern is the quality of my pre-flight checks (external).
Now.... I have no basis for comparison here so this may be the way everyone learns but to be honest I don't see how any instructor could feel safe after letting me do such a half assed job.
The written reference I've been given is the POH, which is fine ....trouble is I don't know what half of the stuff on the list is let alone how to spot if there might be something wrong with it!
I had a run through of the checks with an instructor a total of about 4 times (all at the beginning), and from there on in I was expected to do it myself. Neither myself or any of my fellow students use actual lists while pre-flighting nor have we been told to. I know I'm missing things and I know that there is a lot of stuff that I just wouldn't have a clue if it was ok or not.

Everything that I've read seems to suggest that if you don't use a list, it is just a matter of time before you miss something.
Is this the way all schools teach pre-flights?
I have mentioned this to various instructors and other students but nobody seems to be concerned.
What do you think? Am I being paranoid? Your own experiences and advice would be appreciated.:)

TeeS
13th Jul 2002, 10:46
Sneetch - my advice is to find an engineer with lots of experience on the type and ask him to show you what he looks for and where the particular type has problems.

Flying Lawyer
13th Jul 2002, 12:29
"Is this the way all schools teach pre-flights?"
I obviously can't comment on all schools but, based purely upon my own experience (fixed-wing and helicopters), what Sneetch describes is what the vast majority do.
"I have mentioned this to various instructors and other students but nobody seems to be concerned."
They are wrong; you are right to be concerned.
"Am I being paranoid?"
No, not in my view.

There are some exeptions (and I've been fortunate to find some over the years) but, generally, far too little importance is attached to teaching a proper pre-flight check.
Too many instructors tend to cover this aspect in the early lessons and then simply send the student out with a Check List saying 'Do the pre-flight checks and strap in. I'll join you in a minute." Some instructors do their own pre-flight (or walk-round) when they arrive; some don't. Later, when the student knows the start procedure, it becomes 'I'll come out when you've started.'
The result is that there is no means of ensuring that the student has actually learned how to do a proper pre-flight or, as Sneetch frankly admits, even understands what he's looking at or should be looking for.

I suppose it might be argued that the student is allowed to build confidence by doing the checks on his own, but I think in most cases that's just an excuse for the instructor to use the time to take a break.
The more conscientious instructors watch students doing checks, and every few lessons make them call out what they're doing, what they're looking for and why - but, in my experience of fixed-wing and helicopter training, they're the exception.

Tees' suggestion is a good one. But you should also speak to your instructor and say what you've said here. There's no need to be embarrassed. Admit that you're concerned about this aspect. Ask the instructor to do your checks with you and to test you from time to time. If he's any good, he won't mind and will adapt to your wishes. If he doesn't, find youself a better instructor or a better school - it may literally save your life one day.

Hone22
13th Jul 2002, 12:52
Half way through a PPL and still unsure of some aspects of the pre-flight.:( (she's a real steep learning curve initially).

Yeah, pretty normal that the first 2 or so done by the instructor telling you whats what.

Next 2-4 done by yourself with the instructor watching over the shoulder to correct/embellish things.

Then quite often you're supposed to know everything down pat!

The reality is that there's so much info at the start (what with trying to fly the thing plus everything else:) ) that you forget a lot of the things that were crammed in the begining & end up doing the same things the wrong/incomplete way without some correction.

Every now & then your instructor should demo a pre-flight. At times while you're doing a pre-flight the instructor should point at a thing & go in depth on that 1 thing (eg: whats special about the tail rotor flapping hinge? slowly working over the whole machine). As with the engineer bit below, your instructor should have a good idea and point out to you the bits you really keep an eye on and get nervous about ( weakpoints etc....).

If possible grab a different instructor and asks how he does a pre-flight (quite amazing what a different point of veiw reveals).

Yes!! as per Tees grab an engineer and find out all the bits they love to look at ( more relevant, what bits should you really keep a good eye on ).

Yes be paranoid, don't let someone else's laziness be your lack of knowledge be the death of you.

Read everything, ask questions, get demo's, cross check, more questions then do it properly.

Low N aahhR
13th Jul 2002, 22:03
Sneech

Pilots - as a rule - ain't engineers. Look for things that don't look right - or the same as they normally do. Over time you will develope the ability to tell when all does not look well. You may not know why something doesn't feel right but don't ignore the feeling... Ask. You might feel daft if you're wrong, but if you don't ask...

As a commercial pilot who operates without full time engineering buckup i rely on seeing the same thing time and time again and reacting if i see soemthing that is different. It's not the same as having an engineer there to check the machine but in the real world it is often what we have to accept.

If you're not sure - Pour another coffee and wait for the man to arrive!

Flysafe.

Heliport
13th Jul 2002, 22:40
LowNR
The whole point of Sneech's valuable post is that at his stage, and not having been taught properly, he's not able to tell when "things don't look right" and isn't able to tell whether they look "as they normally do."

the coyote
14th Jul 2002, 02:38
Sneetch,

Good on you for having one of the most important aspects of flying right from the start - a willingness to learn more and understand the aircraft. Everyone is the same with something new but over time you'll develop your knowledge and be a lot more confident. As previously stated, ask as many questions as you need to, and make sure you understand something, not just memorize it.

Until your licenced and endorsed on the aircraft, you shouldn't be expected to preflight it alone so the instructor can have a coffee. When I was an instructor there was no way I would take one flying without making sure it was OK myself first! There's a legal responsibility there too. The instructors and engineers if they are worth their salt should always be able to answer your questions, even if they don't have the time immediately and have to get back to you on it.

If your not sure of everyting, or if your pushed for time, at least check the most important things for safety - fuel for water (and quantity!), oil levels, flight controls and structural attachments. And never overlook the basics, its one thing to check the play in a bearing but is the engine cowl secure, rotors untied etc?

Happy learning!

Dynamic Component
14th Jul 2002, 05:26
Sneetch,

As mentioned before,get a engineer out there next to the aircraft, but go through the checklist with him/her and ask what the problem could be with the specific part.

This way you would know what it is and what to look for.
Good luck and safe flying

sling load
14th Jul 2002, 08:30
Sneetch,

the preflight is as important to learning as are autorotations, you should always do thorough pre flights, this will carry over to larger machines which have lots of cowls and latches and more sophisticated tail rotors, main rotors etc, get an engineer, the advice of your instructors is disappointing.

Get to know the machine well on the outside, its just as important as any other part of training

Vfrpilotpb
14th Jul 2002, 09:11
Good morning Sneetch,

Congrats you have taken the first step in asking a question that most folk would be too embarassed to admit to, as all others have said it helps if you know what you are looking at, but its is also very sad that the intructor who you have is doing nothing to initially check your checks, very sadly it points to the greater possibility that he may not care.
To fly any sort aircraft does however require knowledge of what, does what, and you really must find out everything about the entire craft you are trying to fly, if your insructor/school is lacking in this field, then take your money and find some one who will do things the right way.

Remember, when you enter the realms of the birds, it aint God who gets you back on terra firma.

advancing_blade
14th Jul 2002, 10:02
Sneetch and all

When I started flying, I was able to use a CD-rom driven pre flight program for the R22 which was very good. I have found that some pilots just rely on the engineering staff to do a daily inspection. As pilot in command, the buck stops with you. As others have posted, good for you for asking the question.

I thought you may be interested in this article which is reproduced with kind permission from Aviation Safety Vortex which is part of Transport Canada.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/systemsafety/newsletters/tp202/1-02/V001.htm

Playing the Odds—The Art of the Pre-flight Inspection

With the morning coffee and pre-flight briefing out of the way, the instructor asked the 50-hr student to prepare his Bell 47 for the day’s first flight. After completing the daily inspection and refuelling, the student summoned the instructor, who told him to go ahead and get the aircraft started and warmed up—he’d be along in a moment.

Shortly after the student had the ship running, the instructor headed across the tarmac and climbed in. They passed the next 15 minutes reviewing the details of the lesson and doing pre-flight checks, then departed the ramp into the clear sky. Two minutes into the flight, at approximately 700 ft AGL, the aircraft suddenly started a spin to the right, then pitched down and began a spiralling descent. Witnesses said that it appeared the pilot was unable to recover and control was lost. The 47 hit the ground in a steep nose-down attitude, and both occupants were fatally injured.

The afternoon before, a 100-hr inspection had been carried out on the ship by two of the company’s maintenance personnel, a veteran aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) and a relatively experienced apprentice. The 100-hr inspection includes, among other things, the flushing and replenishing of the tail rotor gearbox oil. While the AME conducted other portions of the inspection, he assigned the oil change to the apprentice, who set out draining the gearbox and examining the oil for metal contamination. When all tasks on the 100-hr inspection check sheet had been initialled, the lead AME signed the inspection in the aircraft journey logbook. The check sheet item that called for draining and filling the tail rotor gearbox oil had been initialled by the apprentice as being complete.

The accident investigation revealed no evidence of oil in the tail rotor gearbox, and it was determined that it had overheated from lack of lubrication. The subsequent failure of the gears had caused the loss of tail rotor thrust and yaw control. The drain plug was still lock wired in place.

As with many accidents, this one wasn’t caused by any one particular person or action, but a chain of unlikely events culminating in tragedy.

The failure to refill the gearbox.

The apprentice initialled the check sheet before the entire task was completed.

The AME did not verify the work of the apprentice.

A student pilot didn’t check, or incorrectly read, the sight glass.

The instructor, who had been notified of the previous day’s maintenance action, elected to allow the student to perform the pre-flight, then joined him in the aircraft after it was running. Was it the school’s policy to allow students to do the daily inspections by themselves following maintenance? What is your school’s policy?

Devil 49
14th Jul 2002, 10:45
Use a checklist.

Ask questions. Ask everybody. Mechanical staff, or engineers, or what ever you call them, make their daily bread inspecting and are a bonanza of knowledge if you can get them to share. Read tech publications, if you have time. There's a gozzillion looseleaf manuals on hand in the maintainence office. Mostly way too much deatail for a pilot's pointy head, but some are quite informative (and have pictures).

Use a checklist.

Use a checklist. I'm guesssing the one supplied isn't adequate, so take advantage of the computer age and word process your own. Update it as often as you can. Suggestion-the small heavy paper lose leaf binders, or what ever you call'em, with the flexible tabs will hold and protect a dozen or so pages and drop right into your chart bag...

Use a checklist.

I won't fly anything that I haven't preflighted, unless somebody I trust has done so. Perhaps that's why your instructor hasn't put more effort in?

Use a checklist.

Finally, I won't fly with anybody who doesn't at least walk around the bird before strapping in.

StrateandLevel
14th Jul 2002, 12:31
Here is part of a hand out issued by a Flying Instructor Examiner who was formerly Head of Enforcement UK.
--------------------------------

The Check A

I have found that the following questions are not answered well by flying instructors whether assistant or full or for initial issue or renewal.

Q1. What documents have to be complied with for the Certificate of Airworthiness to be valid?

The answer, you will know is;

i) the Flight Manual / Pilots Operating Handbook

ii) the Maintenance Schedule, which for light aircraft is usually the Light Aircraft Maintenance Schedule (LAMS), (CAP411).

The next question.

Q2 What constitutes the Check A on the aircraft and where can I find the details?

Most candidates do not connect Q2 with Q1 and say that details can be found in the aircraft's cheek list, They do, however, know that a cheek A is required before flight each day. Where shown a copy of the LAMS most candidates express surprise and are unaware of the document. When shown the Cheek A, as required by LAMS, most are seeing the list of items required for the first time. So we have Instructors and other qualified pilots carrying out legally required maintenance and not knowing what is required from them,

There is no requirement for the Check A to be signed for, just that it 'must be completed by a person to whom the owner or operator has entrusted the cheek, and to the satisfaction of the Pilot'. However most flying clubs do have a requirement for the Check A to be signed for in the tech. Log

Attached at Annex is a copy of those parts of the Check A that are applicable to a club aircraft. It all seems common sense and, in most cases, is what a prudent experienced pilot would normally check before the first flight of the day However if you read through the details of the Check A you will undoubtedly find items which are not always correct on aircraft you fly.

How important is all this? If a pilot carries out a check A, which is not completed, then the CofA is not valid, and there is the risk of prosecution or civil action in the event of an incident or accident.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So check your maintenance schedule!

Whirlybird
14th Jul 2002, 16:34
sneetch,

I entirely sympathise. Been there. I was a new R22 pilot with an instructor who was being somewhat patronising because I was female, but I didn't realise that at the time. Anyway, after a few weeks I asked to go over the checks again, but came away little the wiser. Several months/flying hours and another instructor later, I asked again, but still wasn't sure about much of it. The problem was, I really didn't have much knowledge of how the helicopter worked, or even how a piston engine worked, or things a lot of people seemed to think were really basic, and even though I told them, no-one seemed ready or able to start explaining absolutely from scratch.

Finally when it came to the CPL course I decided enough was enough, and I needed to know this stuff. I asked yet another instructor, who went over it in detail. I also bought a CD Rom, made by Burman Aviation (Patriot now) for their own students, but anyone can buy it. They're based at Cranfield, Gloucester, and I think a couple of other places; someone here will know. Get that CD Rom! It goes over the whole R22, and all the checks, in detail, with photos. I spent a whole wet half-day going over everything, in the hangar with an R22 and a printed out checklist with photos, until I knew what everything was, and how things should be, and what to look for. I should have done it months earlier. But I shouldn't have had to work so hard to be able to.

One thing I'm sure of, if and when I'm an instructor I'll make sure this doesn't happen to my students!

A and C
14th Jul 2002, 17:21
As an instructor (fixed wing) I have to say that MOST of my fellow instructors do not cover the technical side very well at all.

A pre-flight check is quite an involved thing and cant be taught in one lesson , first I teach the basic things to look for and then each time I fly with the guy I build on this with a more detailed look at part of the aircraft.

I treat eny girl student pilot with suspision as they are likely to have had next to no technical instruction from there male instructor who,s mind would have undoubtedly been on other things.

All my students get at least two or three visits to the maintenance hangar to view the aircraft in bits , as picture is worth a thousand words and the engineers make the best tea on the airfield.

The pre-flight inspection is much more critical on a rotory wing so if you are in eny doubt what so ever talk to an engineer........buy him a beer in the bar one night and you will find it good value for money ,and it might just save your life.

Weight and Balance
15th Jul 2002, 00:51
Sneech;

Your original question was excellent. I’m not surprised at the quality of the responses, either. These Roterhead guys are great, I love all of you (in a brotherly kind of way, of course).

My own response just sums up the many other great posts.

1. Never EVER be afraid to ask a question. That’s how you learn. Ask your instructors – if you don’t like the answer ask another instructor, ask mechanics, ask groups like Pprune, and so on.

2. Always refer to the checklist for a preflight inspection. It’s your choice if you actually carry the list with you, or just read it over immediately before your walk around. The more complicated the flying machines in your life become, the more important this becomes. If anybody tells you they don’t need a checklist to cover everything on their 2 engine IFR helicopter, they’re lying, full of ****, or both.

3. Over time, by repeating many walk arounds, you will get a feel for what looks “normal”. When you see the un-normal, refer to my point 1.

SandBlaster-214
15th Jul 2002, 03:31
All good answers, in my opinion.

I would agree, most definately, use a checklist. When I gave new pilots initial Part 135 training on particular make/ models, they each received personal copies of the checklists so they could make whatever notes they needed next to any particular item.

I also had them spend time in the shop with the lead mechanic (or engineer) and the engine man. These folks were great at answering the "what if" questions that seem to pop up and they were always willing to give the FNG's "hands on" experience such as, how much "play" in a bearing is too much or what a void actually sounds like when it's tapped - stuff like that.

It was not all that uncommon to get a dude (sorry Whirly, never had any experience with dudettes... yet) with four or five hundred hours time in type that couldn't perform a complete pre-flight or would completely overlook important inspection items simply because they wern't taught from the beginning or were taught the "short-cut" methods.

One thing I'd like to add; don't take anything for granted. If you ask someone; "did you do this", or, "did you fill this", re-check to make sure they actually did do it. Remember, you, as the pilot, have and assume the final authority and responsibility for the operation of the aircraft.

Good luck - Have fun.

C Ya

GLSNightPilot
15th Jul 2002, 05:21
If anyone has any doubts about the need for a preflight, read the current Bell Rotorbreeze. I'm not sure how a pilot & mechanic (engineer) could take off with no mast nut (AKA the Jesus nut) or droop stops on a 206, but they did. They won't do it again, though.

I don't normally use a checklist for preflights, nor do my peers. We've been doing it for many years, & it eventually becomes second nature, though you have to learn what to look for on each aircraft. Some things I've learned to check through hard experience, some through the experience of others. If you have any doubts about checking everything, use a checklist, there's certainly no shame in it. Do whatever it takes to insure you're around to do another preflight tomorrow.

lills
15th Jul 2002, 10:53
Everyone has mentioned the Preflight inspection, but I can assure you that a post flight inspection is important and will save you embarrassment some where along the way.

I learnt the hard way, nothing worse when you were the last person to fly the machine, do a preflight before your next flight and find something wrong which could have been repaired earlier.

Along with everyone else, if doubt ask someone who knows, chances are the instructor only has a few more hours than you do.

vorticey
15th Jul 2002, 11:43
you'll soon learn that what ever you dont look at is what a problem will arise from.
what you want to look at is everthing, not OVER LOOK everything!
every bolt that you can find should be checked visualy for looseness and if its chaffing (a brown or grey powder coming out of it). all moving parts that can be moved, move them looking for smoothness, looseness and fowling. anymore than a tiny bit of play in somthing needs an expert opinion.
if your not happy with your preflight, dont go flying. ask the instructor to go through a section with you, (i remember the whole lot seemed too much to take in) and remember, your paying the money.:D

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jul 2002, 13:03
Today I went to test fly a new-build aeroplane. Being a paranoid sort of chap, and despite knowing and trusting the chap who'd overseen the build and done the final inspection, I did my own thorough (by which I mean an hours worth, normal when I do a first flight) inspection.

I found 6 defects, snagged it, and hence am back at my desk enjoying the glorious flying weather.

So pre-flight checks, are very important - two of the faults I found could have caused a rapid engine failure.

The BMAA publish a thorough generic inspection schedule, which you can download at http://www.avnet.co.uk/bmaa/020_1.pdf although it's designed for microlights, I commend it as good, free, advice on what to check and look for on any aeroplane if you're unsure on the subject. Look at the "check A" points, as well as the general advice on pass/fail criteria - although be aware that the legalities of who can do what are not the same for microlights as other types.

G

Arm out the window
15th Jul 2002, 22:54
You need to set aside time to resolve the uncertainties you have about the aircraft.
Rather than just doing a preflight every time you fly, go out a few times and spend a couple of hours or whatever time you can arrange just to walk around with the checklist, follow through the procedure and poke your nose into all the nooks and crannies.
Pre-read all the information you have about the machine and try to understand how the systems work (eg oil, fuel, drive train, etc. etc.), then try to identify individual components on the aircraft. Take any books you have describing systems and components with you, which will make it easier.
Ask questions of maintenance people, respecting their experience and knowledge. Don't be afraid to use a "I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding...(whatever), would I be able to take up a bit of your time to ask a couple of questions about it?" approach. In my experience, people are generally only too happy to help out if they have time, and it goes a long way towards breaking through what sometimes appears to be a barrier between maintainers and pilots.
Once you've been through the checklist enough to have got a good sequence developed as to how you look at the aircraft on the preflight, I reckon it's best done from memory. However, a lot of people advocate use of checklists, so I guess it boils down to what you prefer and what you were taught.
Good luck!

B2N2
16th Jul 2002, 01:50
Decided to play a trick on my instructor during my PPL training.
As I preflighted he used to be over by the hanger out of the wind smoking a cigarette.(Same as I do now..)
So one time with the cowling open(Pipercub)I shouted at him;
Oi,how many cilinders is this one suposed to have?
When he shouted back: 4..why?
I counted out loud 1..2..3..4 that's OK then and closed the cowling.
He came running over and I had quite a hard time explaining him it was only meant as a joke.
Anyway...the point is you wanna be a pilot not an engineer.
But you still have to be able to spot the obvious and have a fair knowledge of the workings of your machine.
Point...what if anything can you check on a Cessna with that ridiculous little hatch.I'd make a cessna with a piper cowling if I had a choice.
Some people tend to get lost in the details though.
Worry about one lose cowling screw and miss out on the oilstain
or the bold tire.
Do not lose sight of the bigger picture here.
Is it safe to fly the way it is.
When in doubt always ask.
And the no 1 advise: make friends with the maintenance guys,once they figure out you're not there just to break THEIR planes the'll tell you everything you need to know.
They can fix your car for free also....
:D :D :D

Whirlybird
16th Jul 2002, 06:49
Not losing sight of the bigger picture is a good point. I'd been flying R22s for quite a while before someone pointed out to me that the first thing you should do is look at the helicopter from all angles as you approach. Is anything bent, or looking odd - if so, probably means a heavy landing at least. Have you removed tiedowns, wheels etc? Sounds obvious, but people have taken off with them attached, and anything anyone else can do, possibly I/you can do too. The detail is important, but don't get caught in the "can't see the wood for the trees" syndrome.

Hoverman
16th Jul 2002, 09:52
Sneetch
On a lighter note, but there is a moral to the story, thought I'd re-post something Heliport posted on a different thread a couple of months ago.

I've done many dumb things in my time, but I can't think of any quite as good as this one, which is true. Someone please correct me if any of the facts have become distorted in the mists of time ........ about 3 or so years!

'Bill' (name changed to protect the guilty ) an experienced freelance and TA pilot was hired to collect a B206 from a private house, pick up the owner from somewhere else, and take him back home. Everyone was away but, no problem, just take the helicopter from the paddock etc.
Bill arrived. The B206 looked in better nick than some he'd flown. Obviously well-maintained. A quick walk-round, and off we go.
Bill climbed in, the 206 heli started without a problem. Sweet! It wasn't always like that. All going to plan so far. But, what's that?! A rather strange noise, like nothing he'd heard before. Should he lift? Running a bit late, damn traffic! Gettign light on the skids. No, it doesn't feel right. That would be silly. Best to shut down, and have a look. But what he was expected to do without an engineer on hand? Oh well, this just doesn't sound right anyway, I'll call the owner and explain.
As he walked from the JetRanger, something caught his eye - and all became very embarrassingly clear. What Bill discovered later was that the owner had a friend who also owned a B206. He needed to use his helicopter for an important trip earlier that week but sh*t, it wouid happen now, the b****y thing's u/s. 'I know', the friend thought to himself, 'brilliant! Why didn't I think of it before? George is away on holiday for the week. He won't mind. I'll borrow his tail-rotor!" The moral of the story is .......... obvious!

sneetch
16th Jul 2002, 11:01
Wow! I wasn't expecting such a big response.
It's good to know that this is a valid concern. I've often wondered wether instructors/the curriculum itself assumes some pre-existing technical or mechanical knowledge.
Honestly... it's very tempting to ignore the problem which is really what I had attempted to do. That hardly makes for a satisfying and certainly not safe feeling during the actual flight though!
If I can't do this sort of thing properly, I'd really rather not fly at all!
Virtually everyones comments highlight the fact that it may only take one screw up with regards to preflighting. I really appreciate the advice, as this has been bugging me for a while.
If I can't get any joy from the school I am with, I will definately take my money elsewhere.
Thanks again guys/girls

:)

RotorHorn
16th Jul 2002, 11:02
Good on yer mate. Pre-flight checks are important. If you assume everything is ok - fine. But would you bet your life on it?

The number of pilots I've seen just jumping in the aircraft like it was a car and drving off into the sunset without even a look under the bonnet is frightening!

Use your brain and don't rush it.

Some tips I can give for Robbo preflights:-

- look at the skids from the rear, if they look splayed out, someones landed hard. Also check for roughness at the bottom of the tail stinger (the bit of tube that hangs down from the tail like a landing skd - if its rough someone might have hit it on the floor at some point :eek:

- check the maintenance log - some accidents are caused by a bad repair to a part. If its been fixed - check it especially thoroughly just to be sure.

- ask a mechanic! He'll give you the run down on what he has to fix the most - e.g. in an R22, sometimes the air deflector plates inside the funnel running from the squirrel cage blower to the engine can have their rivets rust through and come loose...

- if its cold outside, try and do the preflight in the hangar - you won't rush it then. And carry a torch - handy for those dark nooks and crannies.

On a lighter note, there's that email about allegedely true maintenance log records that did the rounds a while back (anyone got that handy?). The ones that stick out in my mind were :

- pilot entry in log : engine 3 missing
- engineer response - engine 3 found on port wing after short search.

- pilot entry : something lose in cockpit
- engineer response : something tightened in cockpit

- pilot entry - unusual oil drip on engine 2
- engineer response - oil drip normal. Unusual lack of drip on engine 1 being investigated

and the 'best one' IMHO

- pilot entry : autoland rough on this aircraft
- engineer response - autoland not fitted on this aircraft :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

Heliport
16th Jul 2002, 11:57
Sneetch's post has highlighted a very real problem.

* Everyone agrees learning how to do a proper pre-flight is vital, and the importance of doing it properly can't be over-emphasised.
* But everyone also seems to agree what he describes is typical of the poor standard of instruction given to student pilots on this aspect. (Student does pre-flight / instructor has a coffee)

There's not that much to check on a light fixed-wing and it's all fairly simple - but helicopter preflights are not simple, and are arguably even more important to safety.

All very well for those, like Sneetch, who've discovered Rotorheads, or happen to have a conscientious instructor.
But that doesn't solve a very real problem.

How can a student pilot or new PPL be expected to appreciate the importance of a proper pre-flight when most instructors don't take that part of the curriculum seriously themselves?

:confused:

Heliport

moosp
17th Jul 2002, 15:15
Pre Flights.

Me, mid fifties, 14,000 hours fixed wing with 40 hours rotor time, learning the mystic art of helicopters. Instructor, mid twenties, 400 hrs total experience asks "What is the oil level". My reply, "Six quarts, within limits," for so it was.

The instructor then removed the dipstick and checked for himself. I knew then that I was in good hands.

One other for you all. At around 20 hours (pre solo) I checked the water drains of an R22 and forgot to re-latch the cowl doors. The instructor (different from the first paragraph) came straight out of the office into the ship, we started, lifted to hover height and then saw another instructor (happened to be the CFI, wooops) waving us down. I'm still not sure who was most embarrased, me with 14,000 plank hours or my instructor.

For my 2 cents in the training environment never assume age nor hours nor experience of your student are an adequate pre-flight.

Do your own.

Lu Zuckerman
17th Jul 2002, 17:36
Based on what the manufacturer requires for a pre flight you would think that his production check prior to first flight would be extreme by comparison. Not. At least with some manufacturers.

Would you believe that on eighteen aircraft delivered to an operator they discovered one section of the forward airframe had 43 defective cherry rivets (on each of the 18 helicopters) where the pins pulled out because the rivet length was incorrect. On those same helicopters they discovered that the main bull gear in the transmissions had an improper heat treat and were too soft.

How about the flight control components being secured to the airframe with the wrong sized bolts that eventually fell out causing the crash of the helicopter and breaking the pilots back. Or a small piece of rubber chafing material being out of place and cutting the tail rotor drive shaft resulting in the helicopter crashing.

How about the manufacturer that put grease in the holes on the tail boom that allowed the thru bolts to become lubricated resulting in an overtorque situation and eventual cracking. One of these helicopters had difficulty in control and it was found that only one bolt was securing the tail boom to the fuselage.

Finally, how about the manufacturer that delivered a helicopter to a customer only to discover one of the four hold down bolts for the transmission was not attached to the airframe. This same manufacturer incorrectly assembled a tail rotor gearbox resulting in the crash of a helicopter and the loss of the three-man crew.

:D

Loony_Pilot
17th Jul 2002, 22:12
Hi,

Well as a low houred instructor on fixed wing (500 total.. 150 instructing) I will never fly an aircraft I havent pre-flighted myself. That includes friends private aircraft when they are flying.
Especially visually checking Fuel and Oil. Check the fuel before every flight (quantity and for contaminants).. just because it was fine this morning, doesnt mean it is now!

I would advise you to really look over the aircraft, particularly inside the engine bay if possible.... pipes.. tubes.. etc.

Someone mentioned before about the importance of looking at the aircraft from a distance.. thats very important.. its very hard to appreciate how something looks if you stand a foot from it...

I'm not an engineer, and I dont understand the technical/mechanical things to a high level..... I just check for everything that I can.

I often find that many students (particularly the younger ones.. no offence to anyone intended.. I'm a sprightly 24 myself) are not that interested in the importance of good pre-flight checks. I do try to teach people to really check everything as thoroughly as I know how.

Loony