PDA

View Full Version : CASA Class 1 Medical "Restrictions"

mkqq
1st Jul 2017, 11:06
Hi all,

Just got 1 Class 1 medical. It lists a couple of "restrictions":

1 - Distance vision must be worn
2- Reading correction to be available

First I am puzzled about the second line. My glasses are for myopia. I have no trouble with reading close-up material (with the same glasses) and the doctors was able to easily see that. I have some astigmatism. Could it be what this second restriction is for?

There is no clause saying I need to keep a "spare" pair. The doctor said I would need to have a spare pair which I was already aware of.

I am concerned with the word "restriction". Reason is certain airlines such as Emirates or Etihad wants an "Unrestricted Class 1 Medical".

Does this disqualify me automatically? Or perhaps their interpretation of unrestricted is for more severe conditions? I have spoken to an EK pilot (ex 777 captain) who has worn glasses all his life, and doing a Linkedin search I see a number of them wearing glasses.

I was happy to pass my medical (with flying colours actually), but now freaking out a little about the word "restricted".

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Berealgetreal
1st Jul 2017, 11:19
I very much doubt it would rule you out.

I think the restriction they might be referring to is the "as or with co pilot".

Maybe get the DAME to follow it up as there is no point having a restriciton if it is the case that your close reading is ok. Could be a clerical error.

Capt Fathom
1st Jul 2017, 11:47
Just call AVMED and ask them. They are usually quite helpful.

Tankengine
1st Jul 2017, 22:44
Hi all,

Just got 1 Class 1 medical. It lists a couple of "restrictions":

2- Reading correction to be available

First I am puzzled about the second line. My glasses are for myopia. I have no trouble with reading close-up material (with the same glasses) and the doctors was able to easily see that. I have some astigmatism. Could it be what this second restriction is for?

There is no clause saying I need to keep a "spare" pair. The doctor said I would need to have a spare pair which I was already aware of.

I am concerned with the word "restriction". Reason is certain airlines such as Emirates or Etihad wants an "Unrestricted Class 1 Medical".

Does this disqualify me automatically? Or perhaps their interpretation of unrestricted is for more severe conditions? I have spoken to an EK pilot (ex 777 captain) who has worn glasses all his life, and doing a Linkedin search I see a number of them wearing glasses.

I was happy to pass my medical (with flying colours actually), but now freaking out a little about the word "restricted".

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This turned up on my licence at some time, my latest Dame has had it removed as my reading abilities are fine without glasses.

Duck Pilot
1st Jul 2017, 23:28
Go back to your DAME and ask him/her to notify AVMED that it's shouldn't be on your licence. Don't just ring AVMED, they won't help - important to go through the DAME.

drpixie
2nd Jul 2017, 01:40
If what you've got is still at the revalidation stage (not final emailed certificate) then it might yet change!

Last year, I got "must carry distance / must carry reading" and I've never needed distance. Freaked out a bit at the thought of having to correct the official record, but medical branch assured me it was the way they process any initial vision correction issue - they put everything on the interim record, then fix it later! And they did and I didn't need to do anything.

But talk to medical division - they're generally pretty good with this kind of thing.

logansi
2nd Jul 2017, 01:44
Just a quick question of my own which I will add.

I wear contacts and also previous medicals have explicitly stated that (and to carry a spare pair of glasses). my current medical just states:

Has something changed to where contacts vs glasses is no longer stated on the medical?

Cravenmorehead
2nd Jul 2017, 07:57
My Licence says exactly the same. I have to wear glasses for Astigmatism and reading at close range, as most older people do, happens around 40+ generally.
My DAME who is very astute could never really answer whether I had to carry a spare pair of glasses when I fly, but airmanship obviously dictates that you should.
Now I find that he has to test me with both my worn glasses and my spare set.
I think maybe CASA were aware that many carried a spare set but the glasses may have not been genuinely any good if the ones on your snoz happened to break, or get lost.
Could be interesting on a dark night:}

Lead Balloon
2nd Jul 2017, 10:02
Technically they are conditions rather than "restrictions", but that doesn't stop AVMED confusing things. And they don't need to be printed on medical certificates anyway....67.200 Conditions applicable to certain medical certificates—correcting lenses

(1) In addition to any other condition imposed by or under this Part or Part 11, a medical certificate issued to a person who needs correcting lenses to satisfy the requirements of item 1.36 of table 67.150, item 2.36 of table 67.155 or item 3.34 of table 67.160 is subject to the conditions set out in subregulations (2) and (4).

(2) The person must have those correcting lenses available for use while exercising the privileges of a licence for which the certificate is required.

(3) If the person is the holder of, or an applicant for, a licence for which he or she is required to meet medical standard 1 or 2, the correcting lenses may be a pair of spectacles or a combination of contact lenses and a pair of spectacles.

(4) A person to whom subregulation (3) applies must have within reach, while he or she is performing duties essential to the operation of an Australian aircraft during flight time, a spare pair of spectacles for each pair of correcting lenses that he or she requires to meet the relevant medical standard.

(5) The holder of a medical certificate that is subject to a condition set out in subregulation (2) or (4) must not contravene the condition.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

(6) An offence against subregulation (5) is an offence of strict liability.Two sets have to be tested at medical exams now, because most pilots are stupid or criminals.

Capt Fathom
2nd Jul 2017, 10:12
My DAME for the last 20+ years now gets me to read with both pairs of glasses! Previously he just accepted I had a second pair!
CASA have clamped down. I don't know why DAMEs still do it. Very frustrating for them at times!

Lead Balloon
2nd Jul 2017, 10:24
My DAME for the last 20+ years now gets me to read with both pairs of glasses! Previously he just accepted I had a second pair!
CASA have clamped down. I don't know why DAMEs still do it. Very frustrating for them at times!That's one of the reasons many doctors are bailing out of this nonsense.

If you're stupid enough not to have an available spare to your current prescription in the aircraft, how does making you front a DAME periodically change that? When an FOI does a ramp check, how does he or she know that the spare you are carrying is your current prescription?

Surely we need to mandate the carriage of opticians on all flights?

Capt Fathom
2nd Jul 2017, 10:33
I can't see that happening!:uhoh:
But if I hear anything, I'll let you know! :ok:

2nd Jul 2017, 12:21

No that requirement has been superseded by a QC or SC