View Full Version : Low coster soon to introduce "standing" seats

Bonzo777
27th Jun 2017, 13:03
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/south-america/colombia/articles/colombian-airline-wants-to-introduce-stand-up-flights/
Well, AirBUS will finally live up to their name.

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2017, 13:23
Where do you see any reference to "soon" ?

It's an aspiration, not an intention, and it won't happen.

Hotel Tango
27th Jun 2017, 15:01
Old news to Ryanair! Won't happen, period!

vctenderness
27th Jun 2017, 15:31
This story has been around for years! I guess if you google it you will find some of the supposed plans.

chevvron
27th Jun 2017, 15:38
GB Airways were doing it in 1981 on the Tangier - Gibraltar Viscount; kids standing in front of their parents during takeoff and landing.
I did it in a Viscount too; BEA from Inverness to Sumburgh. I was invited to the flight deck but there was no jump seat fitted!

Hotel Tango
27th Jun 2017, 16:03
I did it in a Viscount too; BEA from Inverness to Sumburgh. I was invited to the flight deck but there was no jump seat fitted!

Had the same experience on a Cambrian VC7, LPL-BFS-LPL night newspaper flight in 1970. Them were the days lad! Wouldn't happen now though.

As for an entire plane load of pax standing up, naaah!

Akrotiri bad boy
27th Jun 2017, 16:56
I did it in a HPR7 Herald too:8

BIA Blackpool to Lossiemouth circa 1980. In order to sit down I had to fashion a throne out of bales of the Scottish Daily Mail (printed in Manchester). I'm sure the Mail is regularly used on the throne but not as a throne.

Piltdown Man
27th Jun 2017, 19:31
This will happen only happen when approved by the regulator. For that to happen, someone will have to demonstrate that standing passengers can be safely restrained and capable of withstanding certain g loadings in various directions. So who will cough up for that? Mick the Gyp has the cash, but he has decided not to do so. A seat manuafacturer? It might be worth it but I doubt it. So that leaves the aircraft manufacturer. If this was a good idea they would have done it by now. Even for the greediest this might be a step too far.

PM

Kranz
27th Jun 2017, 23:22
so comfortable....

Standing room flights: Will VivaColombia pull it off? (http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-ideas/weird-and-wacky/heres-a-crazy-way-to-make-airfares-cheaper/news-story/787aa778c2e1a2efa95d87a73c08e794)

Maybe the plan is to make the PAX seats more uncomfortable than the pilot seats - then the pilots cant complain any more....