PDA

View Full Version : Claim Tax for HTD Mileage

JagMate
25th Jun 2017, 21:21
I know this has been raised as a topic before, but I can't find the definitive answer. As a higher rate tax payer, can I claim back the difference between the HTD milieage rate and the 'official' gov rate for tax purposes? I clock up a 220m round trip each weekend to reside in the mess mid-week and I have been on a standard posting (it came with a posting notice for 3 years but I've served less than 2 years before being moved on) Thanks in advance to my tax savvy ppruners.

PPRuNeUser0211
25th Jun 2017, 22:39
Significant caveat : not a tax professional. Take it or leave it!

Firstly, iirc you can only claim such stuff for a temporary workplace (less than 2 years). As your posting notice was 3 years this won't (afaik) count as your belief was it was a permanent job. That changes at the point you were told it would only last less than 2 years. From that point on you should be able to claim temporary workplace relief. Look at HMRC's definition of temporary workplace carefully.

Are you talking about HTD or GYH? Either way you should be eligible for a refund of tax on mileage difference plus possibly your accommodation charges and food charges in the mess (not mess bills though) from the point at which it became a temporary workplace (when told of your tour lasting less than 2 years). All of this should be available to examine in fine details on HMRC'S website in the examples they give. It's fairly straightforward to understand and claim but read the detail of eligibility carefully.

Melchett01
25th Jun 2017, 22:51
I know this has been raised as a topic before, but I can't find the definitive answer. As a higher rate tax payer, can I claim back the difference between the HTD milieage rate and the 'official' gov rate for tax purposes? I clock up a 220m round trip each weekend to reside in the mess mid-week and I have been on a standard posting (it came with a posting notice for 3 years but I've served less than 2 years before being moved on) Thanks in advance to my tax savvy ppruners.

You can claim the difference for duty journeys on your tax return on your tax return. However, if you are talking about making a claim relating to HTD/GYH (in your case I suspect GYH if you're living in) then you can only claim if your posting notice says the tour is 2 years or less in duration. This all relates to what HMRC call temporary workplaces (I forget the exact term), but it only applies if the intent is that you will serve at a new location for less than 2 years. If your posting notice says 3 years but you only do 2 then you luck out on the basis of intent to be based there permanently - over 2 years in tax terms,

I've made a claim myself before and last year surprised myself getting a few thousand back over the course of 2x 2 year tours, so it os possible. But this time I'm in the same boat of a 3 year posting notice so won't be able to claim. The joys of NEM and greater stability posting you away from home for longer and no ability to claim! But when you can, don't be tempted to use claims firms that advertise in the Service press but charge 30%. Anyone on here has the intelligence to do it themselves and save a packet. Just make sure you have all the data to hand, you are accurate and honest in your claim and know what bit of the tax rules you are basing your claim on which is easily found by looking up temporary workplace rules.

Ps none of this constitutes advice, just a read out of what I did and what I looked up when I had the same question and my opinion. As ever, seek qualified advice in case things have changed etc etc etc

VinRouge
25th Jun 2017, 23:04
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim75005

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/travel-and-overnight-expenses

Hope this helps.

Pontius Navigator
26th Jun 2017, 06:58
Does your posting state an actual end date?

I know my son in law has claimed regularly. I also believe if your posting extends beyond the two years or you are retoured then it will obviously cease but I don't know about relief previously given. I think as it was not stated it would be more than two years you would be OK.

As far as weekend travel - don't know.

I will ask my Son in Law.

JagMate
26th Jun 2017, 12:10
Thank you all. I knew there would be a good body of experience out there.

I've checkled the pay slip and it is GYH(M), not HTD.

Here's the thing, whilst I get posting notices for 3 yrs I am almost always posted inside of 2 yrs (Exec stream - my fault). So, whilst the document says 3 it's almost implicit that the posting will last circa 2 yrs (usually less).