PDA

View Full Version : Canberra lumps and bumps

bobward
25th Jun 2017, 15:58
I recently visited the North East Land,Seaand Air Museum at Usworth, Sunderland. They have Canberra TT18 WJ639 on display. I noticed she had a fairing on the outside of each of the engine nacelles, which I can't remember seeing on a Canberra before.

The museum guidebook says she served with A&AEE for a while, then became a target tug. Could anyone in PPruneland offer an explanation as to what they might be?

I've tried to attach a couple of pictures, but have failed miserably......

DaveReidUK
25th Jun 2017, 18:52
I recently visited the North East Land,Seaand Air Museum at Usworth, Sunderland. They have Canberra TT18 WJ639 on display. I noticed she had a fairing on the outside of each of the engine nacelles, which I can't remember seeing on a Canberra before.

The museum guidebook says she served with A&AEE for a while, then became a target tug. Could anyone in PPruneland offer an explanation as to what they might be?

Lights to illuminate the target winches.

Wander00
26th Jun 2017, 08:50
Thought thread was going to be about the T17........

bobward
26th Jun 2017, 09:39
Thanks for the suggestions, and apologies to those who thought I was asking about the T17.

The pods are on the nacelles, just aft of the undercarriage bays. Although they might be for lights, I don't know if you could actually see the pylons and winches from the cockpit.

Could they have been for CCTV cameras?

longer ron
26th Jun 2017, 10:14
These will be the bumps Bob is asking about I guess!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/Nelsam%2075_zpscpsjcgjt.jpg

DaveReidUK
26th Jun 2017, 10:32
Could they have been for CCTV cameras?

Nope.

Although now removed, WJ639 was fitted with a rather Heath-Robinson arrangement consisting of a fairing forward of the navigator's window containing a Morris Minor wing mirror, which allowed the nav to view the target winch.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8422/7814745256_60788e1447_b.jpg

I assume the same was fitted on the starboard side (TT18s had a corresponding window retrofitted on that side when converted from B2s) as the NEAM example has lights on both engine nacelles.

longer ron
26th Jun 2017, 12:00
Just to confirm that 639 did indeed have a stbd rear view mirror fairing fitted at some stage of her history.

bobward
27th Jun 2017, 11:48
Ron,
That's exactly it. Both engines were still fitted like that last week!

longer ron
27th Jun 2017, 11:51
Ron,

We popped in there for a visit a few weeks ago and took the pic then,quite an interesting little museum.

rgds LR

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2017, 12:31

Incidentally, there are unconfirmed reports that, just like the fuselage-mounted mirror, the lamp in the engine nacelle fairing also came from an automotive source.

I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true.

It also seems that WJ639 was the only one of the 22 TT18 conversions to be thus equipped, unless anyone knows differently?

ricardian
25th Jul 2017, 17:03
First Canberra entering RAF service in 1951 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2RTbal-_c)

papa_sierra
25th Jul 2017, 18:47
Tip tanks fitted during flight ??