PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Charter Pilot Tipping?

Woxof13
23rd Jun 2017, 15:15
A buddy of mine is going on an extended vacation in Alaska this September. He has booked several charter trips to do touristy stuff (land on a glacier, tour Denali and haul him back and forth from a remote cabin where he'll be staying for a week). He has been trying to find out if the pilots will be expecting tips for the flights, and if so, how much they should be.

Although he is not a pilot himself, if he didn't have serious ear problems I'm sure he would be. It means a lot to him to not stiff the guys who will be flying him around.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Amadis of Gaul
25th Jun 2017, 00:34
I'm not sure if tips will be expected, but I'm pretty certain they will be appreciated.

Pilots like C-notes.

Tinstaafl
30th Jun 2017, 04:19
I work in Florida., and have done so for the last 13 years. My tips have ranged from nothing to $500. Bear in mind that I grew up in Oz so tipping, to me, has always been a gratuity for excellent service, and in no way expected as a matter of course. Occasionally in Oz I'd get a tip. Typically $20 or so. Working in the UK I never once received a tip. In the US rather more often, in the range of $20-500. Varies a fair bit from piston ops to business jets. Unsurprisingly biased higher in jets.

I still find it a lovely complement that a passenger tips me for my service.