PDA

View Full Version : EK and Flydubai May Be Merged Within 18 Months

jetjockey696
23rd Jun 2017, 13:19
https://aviationvoice.com/emirates-and-flydubai-may-be-merged-within-18-months-201706221151/

Joker11
24th Jun 2017, 13:53
So the rumours are true. We do live in interesting and troubled times.

BigGeordie
24th Jun 2017, 15:48
Before the redundancies start the hours will need to come down. I've been doing 95-105 hours a month every month since October. I don't see any sign of overstaffing in Flight Operations.

harry the cod
24th Jun 2017, 21:30
n77

Just curious how you'd differentiate between 'your' airline and one that doesn't employ you? It's a collective 'we' and saying as such is no reflection on whether you support the decisions 'they' make.

Harry

ironbutt57
25th Jun 2017, 02:16
do "we" all get paid the same for the same job?...if not, then there's no "we"

k.swiss
25th Jun 2017, 12:40
I am a layman.

Please explain what is the benefit of merging?

Is it true they are the same airline anyway? What is to gain from repainting the fleet under one banner given their different markets/objectives.

SMT Member
25th Jun 2017, 12:54
Presumably you could cut huge swaths of management, particularly in the upper levels, when you perform a merger. Trouble is, it is usually conserved to middle- and low ranking employees, and more often than not, to the operational side of things where it's the last thing you need. Then after a not-so-very-long time, the management ranks will have swelled again, upper management will award themselves colossal bonuses for completing the merger, and the worker bees will be told to work harder for less. That's you guys, up the sharp end of the ship, in case you wasn't sure.

That's in the 'normal' world; add a large dollop of Arabness into the mix and may the lord have mercy on you all.

Dualinput
26th Jun 2017, 05:20
I am a layman.

Please explain what is the benefit of merging?

Is it true they are the same airline anyway? What is to gain from repainting the fleet under one banner given their different markets/objectives.

"Synergies" and "Economies of Scale" is what they call it! :8

crewmeal
26th Jun 2017, 06:46
I guess it'll be like the BOAC/BEA merger back in 1974. Neither side were really keen and when BEA personal started flying on BOAC routes then the bitching really started. When BOAC personal operated a LHR-CDG 747 flight the 'girls' had only just done their faces ready for service when it was time to land.

ruserious
26th Jun 2017, 08:16
Branding I think, they can then send someone to the regional destinations on a 737 and still call it an EK flight

Metro man
26th Jun 2017, 08:18
QANTAS and TAA/Australian Airlines in the 1990s. Easier to merge a junior and senior fleet than two similar ones. Just ask the British Caledonian Captains who got put back in the right seat after British Airways took over. I know one who was demoted and spent 10 years as a F/O before he got his command back.