PDA

View Full Version : How do I Make it to Europe as a Canadian?

Zach_
23rd Jun 2017, 02:13
Hello all,

I have come to this forum seeking advice and guidance for the best route possible to pursue my career. I am a Canadian who wants to be a pilot in Europe. I don’t need to start off In the airlines if that’s not a good route to take but that is my ultimate goal. I am only 17 but next year I will have to choose my entry point to fulfill my ambitions. I’d like to do a degree if possible and I think that it may help me land jobs with companies in Europe. Obviously the work permit/job sponsorship will be the toughest hurdle to jump as I do not have any citizenship across the pond… I know of a school called Pilot Flight Academy in Oslo that takes in Canadian pilots and trains them to airline-ready status in Europe, but I’m guessing the first job is going to be the most important for my future career. If anyone reading this could at least point me in the general direction of where to start that would be a great help.

Martin_123
23rd Jun 2017, 10:25
it's funny how there are Europeans wishing to go the opposite way.. grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?

What seems to work for most people is - apply for a EU university, hopefully in a field that's in high demand - start working part time in the very same field. When you finish your degree, hopefully the company that you worked for will be able to help you out with a work visa, if not, go for Masters degree to extend your stay. Once you've been there for 5-6 years, apply for citizenship.

Zach_
23rd Jun 2017, 13:40
Thank you for your response.

Sounds like a great pathway to take, I suppose some universities have flight training incorporated into their bachelors degrees, such as Bachelor in aviation management, bachelor in aviation sciences, etc... from there on I could probably work at an airline but not necessarily as a pilot. One main question I have though is can you use the time you spent in country on your student visa as time towards your citizenship?

momo95
23rd Jun 2017, 14:31
Unless you can afford one of the cadet programmes I wouldn't bother coming to Europe ... it isn't worth it. Jobs are here (for the moment) but despite this, there is fierce competition for them. I wouldn't be crossing the Atlantic on the off chance of finding something 5-6 years away. Depending on where you're coming to in Europe, the general aviation scene is a dead duck and you will struggle to build hours without it coming out your own pocket.

Stay home in an area you're familiar with and work your way up there is probably the best advice.

Of course if you're young and wanna travel then Europe is a great way. If you can afford the fees then getting a degree here would be nice. I just wouldn't come here with the main intention being to learn to fly and get a job here.

kirungi1
23rd Jun 2017, 20:20
There is nothing impossible. Square up your determination and look for those opportunities. So determination and opportunity the rest is history. Best of luck