PDA

View Full Version : LAPL Med to Class 2 to Class 1 questions

Animal Mother
21st Jun 2017, 17:46
Hey medical peeps.

I'm going to work my way toward my CPL(H) over the next 12 months and I'm trying to establish the most efficient (cost, time, tests) route for medical assessment, so I have a few Qs that I hope you'll be able to help with.

Is it possible to go from LAPL to Class 2 to Class 1 with the Doctor/AME just doing the test required over and above those already done. For example, if a certain test (e.g. Audiogram, ECG, etc.) was done on Class 2, would it be needed during the Class 1? What if the Class 1 and Class 2 were carried out within the same year?

Regarding eye tests (vision, acuity, colour, etc.), are these carried out for each and every medical (LAPL, Class 1 & 2) and even renewals?

The reason I ask is that, rather than go for Class 1, fail, and incur the cost, I'd rather do the lower (see cheaper) Classes of medical and work my way up through each Class, spreading the cost (if possible).

Phororhacos
22nd Jun 2017, 12:02
When you go for your initial class 1 at an aeromedical centre you will have to have the whole works whether or not you have a Class 2 or a LAPL medical.

Also consider that if you wait till you have spent time and money on the written exams let alone on the (even more expensive) flying training, all of that will be wasted if you fail the Class 1 and represents a much greater financial loss than the cost of the Class 1 medical itself.

Animal Mother
22nd Jun 2017, 13:54
Very useful, thank you.