PDA

View Full Version : VHF Low Level Common Frequency

Lossie23
21st Jun 2017, 17:21
Hi,
I saw online at the beginning of this year that a VHF low level common frequency for mil and civil aircraft was due to be introduced UK wide after the trial in Scotland but seems to have gone quiet (can't find any update online). Anyone have any idea when this will come into effect?

chevvron
21st Jun 2017, 23:14
135.475 callsign 'Safetycom' has been in use for several years as a 'common' civil frequency for pilots to transmit their intentions in the vicinity of an airfield which has no allocated frequency. It is not an air to air chat frequency as some people seem to think.
The trial to which you refer was for RAF aircraft to warn civil pilots operating in the Scottish Highlands of their presence on this frequency; not really in line with the original intended use of the frequency but if it enhances safety, who am I to quibble?
My main worry is that if too many RAF pilots use it, civil aircraft within range will be unable to use it for its original purpose.

Bob Viking
22nd Jun 2017, 06:15
was due to be introduced UK wide after the trial in Scotland but seems to have gone quiet...

Have you tried it with the squelch off?!

God I'm funny.

BV

ORAC
22nd Jun 2017, 09:13
My main worry is that if too many RAF pilots use it, I wouldn't worry about it, we don't have many left and the majority don't spend much time at low level any more.

GipsyMagpie
22nd Jun 2017, 12:01
Trial finished and it's now standard. However it seems to still be for north of 56N only. The extant civil use of the frequency is not covered though...

Background Noise
22nd Jun 2017, 13:13
Neither is the military use covered in the civil AIP - pretty standard.

Two's in
22nd Jun 2017, 15:07
You mean it's not the bottom of the box anymore?