PDA

View Full Version : 'Recreational' flying in NZ mid UK PPL

V90JAJ
20th Jun 2017, 20:43
Hi Guys,

Do excuse me if these are stupid questions.

I am visiting New Zealand for a month late December / early January at which point I will likely be 15-25 hours into my PPL training in the UK.

While I'm out there I would like to do some 'recreational' flying so to speak (with an instructor of course)

1. Is there anything to stop me doing that / any reason I shouldn't?

2. Can I count the hours towards my PPL? (guessing not?)

3. Can I count the hours towards the 150 needed for CPL? (guessing yes?)

Thanks in advance!

gordonquinn
21st Jun 2017, 08:44
Great idea.

1. Nothing to stop that, you would essentially just be doing a flight experience, the FI would be PIC so no complicated conversions etc to do

2. To my knowledge it would count to the 45 hour minimum for license application but I don't think it would count to covering the EASA PPL syllabus

3. It's dual hours in your logbook

Martin_123
21st Jun 2017, 15:36
1) no problem with that
2) you can count them, but the real question is will the NZ instructor will actually teach you anything or is he just taking you for a joyride? It is also up to your home ATO to assess you whether you've actually gained any skills or some bits and pieces need to be repeated/fixed etc. With all likelihood you will not finish your course within 45 hour minimum, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, just go and have fun!
3) to elaborate on gordonquinns answer above: to start a modular CPL course you need 150 hours total time, the regulations don't specify how many of these should be dual or PIC.. in this regard I can't see how any aul 20 extra dual hours will hurt you. However to FINISH a CPL you will need 200 hours of which 100 hours should be PIC. Because your CPL modular course is pretty much dual instruction with no to very little solo time, you should realistically walk into your training with 100 PIC hours already in your logbook.

So ultimately if your goal is to achieve your CPL with minimum hours, any extra bimble you do with any extra FI outside your training program will probably hurt your chances. However, you should also aim to enjoy your training and if I was in NZ for a while I would definitely do it, not only for fun, but for staying current as well

V90JAJ
22nd Jun 2017, 14:19
Thanks, both!

I guess I could ask my UK instructor to write up a list of development points for me to give to the NZ instructor.

Cost is a real factor for me so I was hoping to avoid too many unnecessary hours but seems too good an opportunity to miss.

Spit-Fire
27th Jun 2017, 10:59
Hi V90JAJ,

I moved to New Zealand 6 years ago with a UK CPL and fly all over the country. Flying here is wonderful, quiet in comparison to the UK and most of Europe and the scenary is stunning. There are some great airports and air strips to visit around the country with many being very cheap or free to land at.

The instructors are generally well trained and keen to instruct at high levels, one area of training here which isn't a requirement in the UK is Mountain Flying. Understanding Mountain Flying and the effects are well worth knowing, not only for flying in NZ but also other countries for any of your future flying needs.

As far as i'm aware you will be able to log time with an instructor which will count towards PUT (Total Time). You may want to look at temporary study visas at the NZ immigration Website - I think you have 3 months of study on a standard visitor visa.

My local flying club here in Auckland can advise you on any questions you may have, details listed below.

For the best advice speak to the CFi Phil Welcome or Steve Rotherham, both very knowledgable people on your subject.

(0064) 9298 4747
[email protected]

airlineflyingclub (http://www.airlineflyingclub.org.nz)

Glasgow_Flyer
28th Jun 2017, 06:46
For the best advice speak to the CFi Phil Welcome or Steve Rotherham, both very knowledgable people on your subject.

(0064) 9298 4747
[email protected]

airlineflyingclub (http://www.airlineflyingclub.org.nz)

Hmmmmm - I'm popping across in a few weeks for a day or two, I might just do that too if the weather is decent and I don't spend too long in the pub the night before!!

tartare
28th Jun 2017, 09:20
New Zealand is a wonderful place to fly.
I did my PPL out of Paraparaumu.
My cross countries were across the Marlborough sounds and back up via Blenheim.
Other posters are right - quiet - great airstrips - and mountain flying is a fantastic skill to get a taste of - instills great caution.
I always remember my grizzled old instructor telling me "Lad - the wave off the seaward Kaikouras can beat a Viscount in full climb power..." :eek:

Ollie Onion
28th Jun 2017, 10:49
I would make it some sort of useful 'training' mixing it with some great experience. Why not do a Mountain Flying course. Most South Island aeroclubs offer a 5 hour mountain flying course, so it would give you a few hours in the logbook, some stunning scenery and exposure to something that is not commonly encountered in the UK but might be if you venture further afield to France/Italy/Switzerland etc. Something like:

https://www.wakatipuaeroclub.com/flight-training/mountain-flying/

Weekend_Warrior
28th Jun 2017, 19:36
Mountain flying would be interesting but an alternative would be he strip flying course at the aeroclub based at Omaka. They used to have a tail dragger 172, may still have it. Two birds with one stone.