PDA

View Full Version : Portugal Waterbomber report

CCGE29
20th Jun 2017, 17:00
Being reported that a Spanish Canadair has crash during the firefighting efforts in Portugal.

OldLurker
20th Jun 2017, 17:19
Portugal fires: Canadair plane crashes while tackling blazes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40348252) – BBC News

DaveReidUK
20th Jun 2017, 17:28
According to media reports, around a dozen CL-415s have been deployed to fight the fire, including examples from Spain, France and Italy.

rbaiapinto
20th Jun 2017, 18:08
The head of ops affirm that all aircraft are operational. None of the aircraft from the Civil Protection Authority has had any problem.

Cows getting bigger
20th Jun 2017, 19:16
I tip my hat to the water bombing guys. A fantastic job done under very testing circumstances.

CCGE29
20th Jun 2017, 19:42
Seems that the media may have got a little ahead of themselves then.

The job that these guys do is nothing short of amazing.

Piloto Maluco
20th Jun 2017, 20:51
there was no crash...

Hotel Tango
20th Jun 2017, 21:05
When one sees some of the manoeuvres these guys make it could be easy for a member of the public watching from some distance to be fooled into thinking the worst.

Phantom Driver
20th Jun 2017, 21:22
The job that these guys do is nothing short of amazing.

Yes indeed ; watch this link (full screen , sound up !)

https://youtu.be/IxGYcRPgj8Y

looks / sounds even better on Vimeo HD :ok:

(good old journos--never let the truth get in the way of a good story ; gets everyone clicking . Whats that old quip ? --"reporters don't go to airports to see aircraft landing safely" )

Mikey66
20th Jun 2017, 21:27
Defo no crash? Relieved if so, not really a pilot myself but know demanding flying and respect those guys/gals

DaveReidUK
20th Jun 2017, 22:05
There appears to be confirmation that none of the CL-415s (from Spain, France, Italy and Morocco) has crashed.

However there are at least the same number of smaller aircraft (Air Tractors, for example) also involved in firefighting duties. Hopefully it's not one of those, either.

Trim Stab
21st Jun 2017, 08:36
Yes indeed ; watch this link (full screen , sound up !)

https://youtu.be/IxGYcRPgj8Y

looks / sounds even better on Vimeo HD :ok:

(good old journos--never let the truth get in the way of a good story ; gets everyone clicking . Whats that old quip ? --"reporters don't go to airports to see aircraft landing safely" )

The aileron and rudder control inputs shown in that video are massive. I don't know whether that is real, or just done for video dramatics. Also, in one of the cockpit shots, the lhs pilot appears to be controlling ailerons/elevator, but rhs pilot is controlling throttles. Is that really how its done?

doyll
21st Jun 2017, 11:12
Wildfire aircraft pass through extreme thermal updrafts into and out of their bombing runs.

andytug
21st Jun 2017, 17:08
Watched them in action on Greek Island (Samos) a few years ago, incredible skills, low over rooftops, fill up in harbour and back to the fire, three in line astern over and over again. Brave guys.

pax britanica
21st Jun 2017, 19:32
There are a number of videos from Grupo 43 on Youtube and what a cheerful bunch of people they are doing a dangerous and challenging job.

I wondered about the extreme control movements but I imagine flying across inland Spain in mid summer at 500 ft or less one gets bounced around a lot. throw in wildfires and the sudden lightening of the aircraft by a few thousand pounds and they are probably all in a days work?

jolihokistix
22nd Jun 2017, 00:19
@Phantom Driver. Fantastic Grupo clip! 10/10, Joli.