PDA

View Full Version : Flying into PNG

YPJT
20th Jun 2017, 09:24
Have been asked to quote on a job that will require me to fly as PIC into PNG.
Anyone point me in the direction where I can get info on required clearances for immigration, customs etc

chimbu warrior
20th Jun 2017, 10:30
Will depend a lot on where you plan to arrive, and whether you intend to operate any internal flights in PNG.

Customs info here PNG Customs > Aircrafts (http://www.customs.gov.pg/04_aircraft_and_ships/1_aircrafts.php)

Hope you are flying a turbine, because AVGAS is pretty much impossible to source in PNG nowadays. Even AVTUR is not easy to obtain without prior arrangements.

YPJT
20th Jun 2017, 13:04
Thanks Chimbu,
I believe need to operate at Lae. Probably enter via Port Moresby unless there are better options.

chimbu warrior
20th Jun 2017, 18:47
Moresby is the easiest, but by no means easy.

Have a look at the route PY-NZ; does your aircraft have the single-engine performance to cope with a drift down in an area where MORA is 14,000 feet?

goingwalkabout
21st Jun 2017, 06:04
If driftdown is an issue on the direct route consider routing via AYKM (Kerema), from memory the altitude lowest safe is 11,000? Takes a bit longer but might be helpful for you. All the best. You'll enjoy it.

Duck Pilot
21st Jun 2017, 12:54
Where do you want to go domestically within PNG? In and out via an international port shouldn't be a problem, however if you want to go internal/domestic you will have challenges.

PM me if you want, I will be able to help.

YPJT
21st Jun 2017, 13:03
Thanks all,

Duck Pilot will pm you if I may when I get some specifics of the location.

tail wheel
21st Jun 2017, 20:07
If you are coming from the West, surely Horn Island, Daru, Kerema to Nadzab is a better option?

I assume Daru is still approved for international arrivals?

YPJT
22nd Jun 2017, 04:16
Tailie,
Yup Horn Is is the plan.

Eddie Dean
23rd Jun 2017, 03:29
Have done this twice. It is important to take some "grease" with you to make the wheels turn faster at Daru.

tpng conehead
23rd Jun 2017, 07:32
Make sure your HF Frequency's are suitable for PNG ops.

Duck Pilot
23rd Jun 2017, 10:10
Check you PM YPJT, give me a call more than happy to help.