PDA

View Full Version : PC12 Retrofit.

Sbaker
18th Jun 2017, 12:06
Does anyone know of plans in the future for there to be a retrofit option on older PC12 airframes to replace the P&W PT6 with GE's new Advanced Turboprop Engine?...

GE Takes On PT6 Engine With Advanced Turboprop | Business Aviation content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/ge-takes-pt6-engine-advanced-turboprop)

Would be a PC12 with:
- 20% more efficiency... $450-550 / hour running cost?... unheard of!
- Increased range (3,400km originally)... close to 4,000km?
- Faster cruise (285kt Originally) ... 10% more power at altitude... 290 - 300 knots cruise?
- TBO (PT6A 3500 TBO originally) 4000-6000 TBO..

Would be a much better option than Cessna's new Denali..
- Cruise: 285 knots
- Max Range: 2570 km

And PC12 can take-off in 300 feet less already..

Connedrod
18th Jun 2017, 23:39
And loose single engine ifr charter ?

Sbaker
18th Jun 2017, 23:56
As of right now it is not certified S/E charter, but it is based off a proven design (CT7/T700) which is the donk in the Apache - as well as other parts and components based off other commercial designs in their line-up, so should not be long or difficult to get approved for S/E charter as these components have all proven their reliability. - The fact it is aimed in direct competition to the PT6 and will power the Cessna Denali which is aimed at the PC12 market I am sure S/E charter approval is what they had in mind the whole time.

Connedrod
19th Jun 2017, 02:53
So please consider this.
Pt6 got its approval due to fedex running C208 with pt6.
Pt6 at this persent stage has well over 500 million flight hours recorded.
Tpe331 is not approved for single engle ifr chater yet has moe flight hours than the Ge.
Ge design is from the walter engine. A copy of the pt6.
Military hours and o/h times not reflective of cilivan useage.

O/h times for the py6 range from 3600 manufacturers to 5000 under casa Ad. To 8000 hours company approvals and you can buy an STC that will give you an 8000 hour O/H

Its also been talked about for some time now that the certification for single engine ifr pt6 approved aircraft will be terminated by the FAA.

You be a brave person to purchase an aircrft on the believe that is going to be certified.

Not saying anything is wrong with the GE quite the opposite
. Has some great design features and has brought P&W back a few steps in thier pricing. But to say its going to be certified for single engine IFr may be a be call at this early stage.

Sbaker
19th Jun 2017, 03:15
Well this is not something I am looking at tomorrow, potentially in maybe 2-3 years.

But I just find it funny how with the GE powerplant the PC12 would still be better than the Denali in specs, except for an extra 3 inches of cabin width!

But yes, definitely would not look at a powerplant conversion until it gets CASA approval.

Where did you hear about FAA ditching the S/E charter? On an unrelated note - I also heard EASA just approved it recently!

Connedrod
19th Jun 2017, 03:19
Is been taked about quite openly for a few years now. Personally i can not see it hapening but if the faa dose pull it im sure there will be some big las suits in the wings

Unregistered User
19th Jun 2017, 08:26
Hurow? Engrish prease