View Full Version : CX Medical and eye surgery

ju29
12th Jul 2002, 19:15
I had successfull PRK (eye surgery) 12 years ago. I am curently flying commercially (ATPL/Class 1 med) in the UK. I would be interested to know if Cathay Pacific would accept it for the initial medical interview.
Many thanks.

[email protected]

Kubota
13th Jul 2002, 06:44
No.

THEFAARKAWE?
13th Jul 2002, 07:05
Care to elaborate on that very thoughtful answer Kubota?!

Kubota
13th Jul 2002, 10:21
The P.M.O. has decided, as his policy (therefore, CX's) that pilots who have undergone LASIK or other corrective-style laser-based surgical procedures are NOT acceptable risks for Cathay's medical standards. No exceptions.

IF they know about it.

Mr Nice guy
17th Jul 2002, 04:34
just wondering kubota, how do they or could they find out?

BlueEagle
17th Jul 2002, 09:52
I am no expert, but have been told that it leaves identifying marks or scars, any med. bods care to enlarge?

Kubota
17th Jul 2002, 10:03
I believe it leaves microscopic striations on the surface of the cornea, which are (probably) seen by the Medical Officer during the examination.

The other way they would know is IF you tell them.

In the words of our leaders...Be Guided Accordingly

shortly
17th Jul 2002, 10:25
Yup Kubota as your leaders have decreed, lie - but don't get caught.

crazy_max
26th Jul 2002, 09:50
Hummmm?
Let me see if I get this one.
It is OK to wear contacts or eyeglasses, but it is not OK to have a perfectly safe procedure that makes your vision 20/20???
Oh yeah that makes sense.

Cpt. Underpants
26th Jul 2002, 14:37
I think there is more to this procedure than is immediately evident. Follow other links on this BBS and it's clear that it does compromise your vision and *may* have long-term effects that are not yet understood. Besides, I also read in these web sites that it's NOT 100% effective. Some have serious vision problems after the procedure...and it's irreversable.

I would think long and hard before trying this. It may mean the END of a flying career, not the beginnning.