PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Nav. lights on a Jaguar?

Haraka
16th Jun 2017, 08:33
I have a query in from a French colleague who does a fair amount of professional imagery /video analysis. As many of the airborne and particularly night, sequences involve sorting out dynamic light patterns, he has checked with me on this observation. q.v.

"Have you ever heard or seen green flashing lights? I always thought that nav. lights were steady lights, but I recently came up with a French paper about French Jaguar pilots that were fighting during the Chad war and the guy was talking about "wingtips green blinking light"!!"

This is news to me and also to a good contact who was a pilot in the Jag. world at the time.
Before I reply in the negative and suggest probable misreporting, is there anybody who might be able to provide informed comment on this statement?
Many Thanks.

ericferret
16th Jun 2017, 09:03
Dont know about the Jaguar but lots of aircraft have co-located white strobe lights.
Often less than half an inch separation.

EAP86
16th Jun 2017, 09:11
Nav lights don't flash, anti-collision beacons do but they tend to be placed above and below the fuselage. Did the FAF Jaguars have some sort of formation lights?

EAP

Rhino power
16th Jun 2017, 09:15
Nav lights don't flash...

EAP

Yes they do, at least on the Tornado GR.4 they do, the red/green lights on the side of the intakes often flash in an almost morse code like sequence. Admittedly this is something I've only ever seen on the ground as I'm not in a position to check if they do during flight...

-RP

Schiller
16th Jun 2017, 09:15
Dunno about the Jaguar, but most military aircraft have a steady/flashing option for the nav lights. On the carrier, we used to go from flashing to steady (or was it the other way round?) on the cat at night to signal you were ready to go.

Bob Viking
16th Jun 2017, 09:32
The RAF Jaguar nav lights did not flash and the option did not exist. I can't speak for the French Jaguars since I didn't fly those!

Hawk T2 nav lights do flash. Just adding that to the list of other types with flashing lights for curiosity's sake!

BV

thunderbird7
16th Jun 2017, 10:08
Dunno about the Jaguar, but most military aircraft have a steady/flashing option for the nav lights. On the carrier, we used to go from flashing to steady (or was it the other way round?) on the cat at night to signal you were ready to go.

That could be embarassing if you got it the wrong way round :)

Cirrussy
16th Jun 2017, 11:00
Gazelle nav lights flash, too, I think...

Alber Ratman
16th Jun 2017, 11:23
No the Jaguar Nav lights do not flash. I should know as I am rebuilding one, even got the formation lamps on top of the wings working!
Nav lights off the Battery bus, Taxi/landing & formation lights off the normal TRU DC buses, Hella white / reds off AC supply (I think without refering to any manual).

MATELO
16th Jun 2017, 13:21
Not 100% sure, but I am sure the French developed theirs in the early stage to operate off Carriers, it could be something to do with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TJuWLXIPc

EAP86
16th Jun 2017, 14:15
ISTR that only one M (Maritime) version was built and tested but it didn't go into service as a type.

EAP

tucumseh
16th Jun 2017, 14:46
Can't speak for fixed wing, but Naval rotorcraft nav lights must be have a flashing/off/steady switch, and flash in unison. This is not mandated if not for Naval use, but clearly restrictive if you don't include it. They must also have a bright/dim switch. If any rotorcraft does not have anti-cols, the nav lights must flash.

megan
17th Jun 2017, 02:45
US Army Hueys could select either steady or flash.