PDA

View Full Version : Help with Outlook please

parabellum
16th Jun 2017, 04:40
For no obvious reason and without warning my laptop Outlook programme, (MS Office 10), blocked out going .pdf attachments and some .jpeg as well, it gave the usual warning message and then stripped the email of attachments when I hit send. Have done the searches etc. but they seem more focused on showing how to get round incoming attachments that have been blocked.

Would appreciate any tech advice please. Thanks.

andytug
16th Jun 2017, 08:57
What anti-virus software are you using? May be to do with that.

yellowtriumph
16th Jun 2017, 11:38
Are the attached files too big? I believe Outlook has a default maximum attached file size that it will send - but I think that can be increased.

Have a look here for some info:

https://www.lifewire.com/increase-outlook-attachment-size-limit-1173679

Hope it may help.

parabellum
17th Jun 2017, 00:18
Thanks Andytug and yellowtriumph. No joy so far, not an anti virus issue and the attachments I couldn't send were just documents, very small size, even the pictures were reduced below 1MB.:confused:

le Pingouin
17th Jun 2017, 02:23
Came across this elsewhere - recent security updates blocking receiving attachments. There's no mention of sending attachments being blocked but it's a possibility so worth uninstalling to see. The usual caveats - YMMV, things might break and they're security updates so be careful. Or you could just wait for updates to the updates:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/updates/outlooks-june-13-2017-security-update/

parabellum
19th Jun 2017, 23:29
Thanks Le Pingouin, yes, maybe it is in the updates!

Ancient Observer
21st Jun 2017, 12:26
Not that it helps the OP, but my Outlook (Office 2007 on Win 7) has been erratic of late. No idea why. it is a pain.
Computing 101 usually works, but not always.
I suspect that MS want some of my money.......for newer stuff.

parabellum
29th Jun 2017, 07:09
Ancient Observer - I too suffered some weird things with Outlook, mine is the MS Office 10 version and it confuses three email addresses, downloading and displaying, in the inbox, two together and one separately, as a separate 'inbox' sub folder. What I miss very much is the function on the CD that came with the original programme, be it the OS or Office that said, words to the effect, 'Repair' ! All I get now is the option for an upgrade or a clean install and even going from Windows7 Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate doesn't seem to be classified as an upgrade.