PDA

View Full Version : Flying & Smoking

AviLGH
12th Jul 2002, 18:59
Hey,

I am about to start my PPL training this fall, not having decided whether or not to go for a career in aviation just yet, I'd like to get a feel for it first.

As I passed my medical a couple of months ago I truthfully told the doc that I didn't smoke. Now however, I have realised that I'm rapidly sliding into a smoking problem.

Well I'm going to quit. But out of curiosity I'd like to know what the deal is when it comes to smoking pilots. Will you just fail your medical if you admit smoking or is it tolerated? Any limits? Anything?

FlapsOne
14th Jul 2002, 19:18
If you are medically fit it doesn't matter one bit whether you smoke or not.

Every Dr, however, will quite rightly advise you give up the dreaded weed each time you attend a medical.

There are literally thousands of pilots out there who smoke regularly.

Rumour has it that some pilots also like the odd drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100BMEP
26th Jul 2002, 21:01
Those 10 hr legs sure get long without a fix. ;)

Good luck in your career.

Lou Scannon
27th Jul 2002, 09:43
I have every respect for elderly pilots who still smoke(provided that it is nowhere near me). Many of them started when the jury was still out on the subject of whether or not it was harmful to the body.

It is, I believe, easier to give up heroin than nicotine. So I can well understand their inability to quit.

I have no patience, tolerance or understanding of some young man of your age who is allowing himself to get dragged into the addiction, when the medical evidence of it causing harm to yourself and those around you is undeniable and has been around since before your birth. Virtually every UK company has banned smoking on the flight deck and in the offices, classrooms, simulator buildings and crewrooms.

Just one reason for you not to smoke: At 6000 foot cabin altitude, the carbon monoxide in your drug will combine with the oxygen carrying part of your blood with far greater ease than oxygen will. ie it partially blocks oxygen uptake leaving you effectively at a higher cabin altitude than your non-druggie friends.

I have sat watching a fellow pilot die from a heart attack at the age of 47. He was a heavy smoker, convinced that it was doing him no harm. Since then I have been a little anti-smoking!

I will now keep my head down to avoid the flack from the druggies who can't quit and have to try to justify their habit!

Airtoday
30th Jul 2002, 14:37
Just be careful that you do not drop a lit one between your legs on short finals and you should be okay.

Its a bit of a drag

silverknapper
30th Jul 2002, 18:17
Switch off the re-circ and you can do it in the air, allegedly!

Seriously though I have mates who smoke 60 a day and pass no problem every year. As said before as long as it doesn't affect your general health esp. lung capacity.

Might have a problem in 20 years though when you have trouble climbing the steps without wheezing!!

Airtoday
30th Jul 2002, 19:04
Yes, for all of my short finals comments, you have the choice now early in life and don't do it.

I have always done it and will always do so too. Can't help it...you can.

How about a race...If I place a packet of fags 50' away and haven't had one for too long who'll win. (Me, at 50, but it might be my last race). Don't let it be yours.

Yes, I know it's a drag

gingernut
15th Aug 2002, 14:23
You've past the first hurdle, you actually want to quit. Have a word with your friendly GP/ Practice nurse, as there is lot's of help available, and its usually all free ! Beware of "Zyban" and flying though. (It may cause fits).

Try to avoid the "gloom and doom its your own fault" merchants as they aren't really going to be much help. Most things carry a risk, and I would be no more loath to treat a smoker, than someone injured for not wearing a seatbelt in a crash.

Try "Quitline" on 0800 00 22 00. They may be able to send you some useful info !

As regards health risks, its probably the most risky thing you can do. I guess that your pretty young so you are probably getting away with it at the moment. Most people's respiratory function drops after the age of 25yrs, as evidenced by the "peak flow " tests performed by the AME. Smoker's resp. function tends to drop at a greater rate, but they reckon that if you get off the ladder sooner, you may regain normal decline after a few years.

Good luck, hope its useful info.

The Boy Lard
19th Aug 2002, 14:34
This is just the thread I've been looking for.

Just got back from the Docs having joined a new practice. We talked about my habit and she mentioned Zyban but couldnt tell me whether its OK to use whilst flying (Just about to start CPL/IR).

Can anyone tell me whether the CAA ban its use or if there are any documented side effects what they are.....I need to kick this habit!

Thanks in advance

TBL

p.s. I've done the rounds of hypnosis, acupuncture and patches all to no avail.

Lou Scannon
20th Aug 2002, 10:20
Do some research before you use Zyban. There have been many reports in the press about adverse reactions.

CAT1
20th Aug 2002, 10:33
If you want to quit smoking I can thoroughly recommend "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" by Allan Carr. Worked for me. It does involves brainwashing yourself, though.

Bird Strike
20th Aug 2002, 11:11
You can get more information on Zyban by typing in Wellbutrin into the search engine. I believe this is the brand name for the same substance as Zyban, used as an antidepressant in the US.

STOL
22nd Aug 2002, 18:37
Got to agree with Cat 1

Allen Carr is the guru of quitting, but you have to really WANT to give up.
The 1 day workshop is excellent.

Keep your health medical & life... it's not that hard!

cschramm
22nd Aug 2002, 22:50
Most authorities don't allow Zyban. It started life as an antidepressant, and has some significant side-effects. Other options are patches, gum, lozenges, cold turkey.

Another good reason to give up:

The biggest cause for loss of medical certificate is cardiovascular disease. The leading risk factor for cardiovascular disease is smoking.

HugMistress
9th Sep 2002, 09:33
First, regarding Zyban and any other medication - check your Ops Manual, check with your company AME (if they have one) or your own AME or GP before taking the medication. You won't necessarily lose your medical or be grounded, but you need to be aware of exactly what the effects are likely to be.

Secondly, as far as 'treating' smokers is concerned, you may be interested to know that the government is keen to improve the health of the nation and has produced documents called 'National Service Frameworks' to guide health professionals. There is one called the NSF for Coronary Heart Disease in which one of the 12 targets is to help people stop smoking. This involves setting up smoking cessation clinics in the community usually run by nurses. These have been trialed and have found to be successful.

You may find these statistics interesting - more than 1 million people suffer from angina, 300,000 have heart attacks and more than 110,000 die of heart problems every year in England.

Some of the complications of CHD include angina, pain in the legs while walking, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, stroke and impotence.

GJB
13th Sep 2002, 14:55
i too want to stop.

bought a good book by Alan Carr.......haven't had the courage to start reading it though!!!

I know friends who have, and it has worked for them.

I'll post the title when I find it.

JetAgeHobo
23rd Sep 2002, 13:53
AviLGh, I dont' want to sound like one of these "reformed smokers" that I hate to listen to, but here's one personal experience with it all.

You'll get a heads up during your yearly physical that you need to stop smoking big time when your red blood count comes back high. This is caused because your blood is trying to compensate for the lack of oxygen.

Zyban or Wellbuterin (did the wellbuterin plus the patch to quit at one time) made me feel pretty strange, no business in the cocpit. Since I"m only PPL I grounded myself for the duration of that mess. Plus on the FAA list of drugs not to take while piloting.

Now, there's the "it won't happen to me" attitude on the dangers etc. I had that feeling also, and unfortunately I've just had to deal with a session of surgery for oral cancer. Next up is the radiation and chemo. Fun. Comment from the doc during last follow up? "Wages of smoking" No **** sherlock.

gingernut
24th Sep 2002, 15:06
A lot of people also die from iatrogenesis too, (medically caused illness)! but all joking apart, smoking is the biggy as regards early deaths.

Zyban side effects, in order of reported frequency, (from the, "British National Formulary,)" dry mouth,gi disturbances, insomnia, tremor, impaired concentration, headache, dizziness, depression, agitation, anxiety, rash, itching, sweating, fever, taste disturbances. Rare reactions include visual disturbances and seizures. "

Sounds like one of my hangovers !

Captain Stable
24th Sep 2002, 15:43
From that list of side-effects from the BNF, I would most strongly recommend that people ground themselves whilst taking it (and only take it under guidance of their GP).

After a lifetime of smoking, I gave up a couple of weeks ago, and am using Nicotine Gum. Tried the patches before - they were useless. The gum is really working. Recommend them to anyone. I started on the 2mg ones (Boots own brand - same as Nicorette but cheaper) and started on 8 of them per day. Now down to 6 a day, and no worries.

G-DESK
27th Sep 2002, 10:05
There are so many ways to do it, the only answer is to find what works for you. Every ex-smoker out there knows how easy it is to ignore every single tactic friends and families might try to make you quit unless you actually want to.

www.givingupsmoking.co.uk is a good site to look at, especially when a craving strikes

The answer to the Zyban and flying question is straightforward - it's the same with ANY form of medication, always get advice from your GP and if they don't know enough about altitude physiology to give suitable advice, then go to your AME. And do all this before taking anything that might affect your performance - 30,000 ft is NOT a good place to start finding out about side effects.

TomPierce
1st Oct 2002, 19:38
All very interesting but......................

You have to have the will to stop. I was told by my AME that my career was on the line becauses my sinuses were bad, my chest was bad and nothing would get better unless I stopped.

Know what? He was right. What he actually said was, "I am giving you a chance to stop, but I WILL pull your licence next visit if you don't stop." I went home not having had a cigarette on the way, and promptly made the decision to stop there and then. That was over 30 years ago. Never had one since, and now wonder what the hell I was thinking of to start at all. It ain't good for you that's for damn sure.

My sinuses are still a bother but I am well and truly alive.

PPRuNe Pop
4th Oct 2002, 19:13
No intention here to frighten anyone but a most interesting postsrcipt appeared on TV today. The BBC are doing a series at a Southampton hospital, one of subjects today was of a man who smoked massive amounts while in the navy. Senior Service, Players and such I spose.

However, they were doing the works on his main arteries, which had become 'furred' up 'cos of smoking. They won, but it was a close run thing.

The moral? Smoking affects all parts of your body! Sorry but it is bad for you - in the long term. :eek:

AviLGH
21st Nov 2002, 17:24
Chaps,

Haven't checked in here in quite some time...apparently my original post generated a lot of replies and a lot of good advise.. thanks!

I'm currently 23,3 hours into my PPL training and I have decided to keep going. If I'll ever get payed for doing something as fun as flying, then I think I will be a very happy man. And...my stint with the tobacco became a short one!!

BRgds,

AviLGH

tcasalert
23rd Nov 2002, 07:29
Have you guys heard that Doctors now believe at smoking will prevent you from getting grey hair!!!! You die before you get that old......don't do it