PDA

View Full Version : NZ Pilots Moving to Aus

DeltaRomeo650
15th Jun 2017, 05:40
Hi all, I've made the decision to pack up and move to Aus to hopefully further my career a little. Anyone have and advice on how the :mad: to understand CASA regulations? From my brief understanding, CASRs are set up with the same regulatory structure as the NZ rules but the CARs are in a world of their own. What's the CASA equivalent to CAA CAR 135?
Of those of you who have made the move what did you wish that you knew before you made the move?
Cheers

Ixixly
15th Jun 2017, 12:04
Have you considered doing a Law Degree?

das Uber Soldat
15th Jun 2017, 13:17
Don't worry about that stuff. Just focus on telling every Aussie crew you operate with how amazingly better NZ is at literally everything. You'll fit right in.

j3pipercub
15th Jun 2017, 22:01
I wish I'd been told that drop bears are real and are almost as prolific as Kiwi pilots.

jonkster
15th Jun 2017, 22:24
Maybe https://www.casa.gov.au/rules-and-regulations/landing-page/current-rules might help?

I am not familiar with NZ but possibly the CAA CAR 135 might be something like our CAO 82? Don't trust me on that though as I am guessing what your CAR 135 is about.

DeltaRomeo650
15th Jun 2017, 23:54
Cheers jonkster that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Part 135 in NZ applies to small aircraft commercial operations so it seems to be the same thing as CAO 82.

As far as ive seen there's no limitations on operations such as SEIFR and flight crew experience for IFR in general would that be correct?

framer
16th Jun 2017, 08:02
You'll have to get used to our propensitity for taking simple things and Australianising them.
Also, it's probably a good idea to stop monitoring 121.5 when you get here. On the plus side the weather is very predictable and some of our main ports have ILS installations on some of the runways :)

LeadSled
16th Jun 2017, 09:00
DR650,
"We" have been working on a Part 135 (and 121, no 125) since 1997, so far it runs to more pages than the whole NZ regulations, it has no completion date.

Have a look at Part 61 including Manuals of Standards for a good example of "The Australian Way". All up, something over 2000 pages, with the accompanying CASA compendium of policy interpretations.

Tootle pip!!

drpixie
16th Jun 2017, 09:03
Things better in Oz? Don't know which corner of the industry you're in, but I've got a stack of friends who've recently moved (or moved back) to NZ to take up good jobs, equivalent to what they were getting interviews but not offers in Oz #@#$%##!

waren9
16th Jun 2017, 10:01
jeez mate

if ya carnt get a job in nz atm, you're lookin in the wrong places.

Trim Stab
17th Jun 2017, 09:15
Every time a kiwi moves to Oz, the average IQ of both countries increases. So go for it!

haughtney1
17th Jun 2017, 18:00
Yet again, someone asking for a bit of helpful advice runs into the usual boganpit mentality of your average Ozzie male aviator.
Ask them as I do
"are you descended from bread thief or rapist stock?" see how long their cockyness lasts.
Another good thing to ask an Aussie aviator is when are they applying to join the Oztranought programme in their airline...it's usually the exclusive reside of those whom "done the hard outback hours" or worse...ex Ansett pilots.
I don't mind Ozzies to be honest, but let's be real here...someone has too.

Ixixly
18th Jun 2017, 00:27
haughtney1, might I suggest you go look up the definition of "Irony"...then lighten up ;)

Falling Leaf
18th Jun 2017, 06:51
Oztranought

This has got to be one of the funniest and true things I've seen on this forum! Absolute GOLD!

LeadSled
18th Jun 2017, 08:01
Oztranought
Love it, absolutely love it!!
Tootle pip!!