PDA

View Full Version : ME on CPL ?

UKPPL
18th Jan 2001, 01:07
Can anyone help with this one? - In order to take the CPL skills test I know you have to do some of the CPL training and the CPL skills test on a complex aircraft, which can be a single or a twin. The question is, is a twin rating as a PPL(A) the same as a twin rating as a CPL(A); ie.

1) If you have a twin rating (as a PPL) before you take a CPL course/skills test and take the CPL test on a complex single, do you end up with a twin rating on your CPL?

2) If you take a CPL course/test on a complex single, as a PPL without a twin rating and later, after passing yr CPL skills test wish to add a twin rating to your CPL. Is the twin rating course / test for a CPL exactly the same for a PPL??

Many thanks.

TooHotToFly
18th Jan 2001, 01:32
As far as I'm aware, class ratings are now completely seperate as to whether you hold a PPL or CPL - if you're multi-rating is valid on your PPL it's valid on your CPL and vice-versa.

A twin rating is exactly the same course no matter what licence you are adding it to.

foghorn
18th Jan 2001, 13:41
UKPPL,

TooHotToFly is correct, the MEP rating is unconnected to the type of licence you have: it is the same rating whether you are adding it to a PPL or a CPL.

Some schools let you do your CPL on a multi-engine aircraft just as a convenient way of getting you MEP rating at the same time as your CPL, but there's no reason why you shouldn't do the MEP rating before or after the CPL.

Personally I'm doing mine before, for two good reasons:

Access to PPL MEP training rates (often cheaper than commercial rates)
I think the CPL requirements will be hard enough without trying to learn multi engine flying at the same time.

UKPPL
18th Jan 2001, 19:20
Thanks for the feedback guys.