PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar policy dimming cabin lights in broad daylight WTF?

Judd
12th Jun 2017, 12:11
Overseas captain travelling Jetstar Sydney to Melbourne this week at midday was puzzled by an announcement by cabin staff apologising to passengers that cabin lights are required to be dimmed before take off and again before landing. Obviously not for night adaption reasons. One of the passengers thought it was save the electricity bill:E
Why on earth would such an amateur announcement be made while taxiing and the sun is shining. Is that seriously a Jetstar policy?

donpizmeov
12th Jun 2017, 12:14
The tickets are cheaper right?

Ollie Onion
12th Jun 2017, 12:31
Um, it is not Jetstar Policy, it is Qantas Policy and therefore Jetstar has to do it as well.

SaltAsh
12th Jun 2017, 13:07
Tiger also do it

QF5
12th Jun 2017, 13:13
I can't recall ever being on a flight where the lights weren't dimmed for takeoff and landing? Surely even in full sun the emergency lighting and exit indications would be more visible in a dim smoked filled cabin if something were to happen? (I know, the cabin lighting would probably be out if something that bad happened anyway, but why not improve chances?)

Also... fluorescent light isn't enjoyable, can't see any reason to keep it on full bright even for a flight that's only an hour long.

Also... standardisation, less chance of it being missed for night flights if the crew are used to dimming the lights at a certain point in the same pre-takeoff sequence every flight.

Just my 2c.

Airbus A320321
13th Jun 2017, 00:22
This has to be the least important thread ever to be started on pprune...

Berealgetreal
13th Jun 2017, 01:42
Death by PA.

maggot
13th Jun 2017, 06:23
Death by PA.

Qf?

Noise canx headsets

A37575
13th Jun 2017, 07:41
This has to be the least important thread ever to be started on PPRuNe...

It is also the most puerile policy by Qantas/Jetstar/Tiger. Cathay Pacific don't do it nor does the RAAF VIP squadron.
I recall the original purpose of dimming of cabin lights at night for take off and landing in the old TAA and Ansett was so that passengers could enjoy the City lights. At least that was the hosties were told to say. The real reason was night vision adaption by passengers and cabin crew in case of passenger evacuation bright cabin into dark airfield even though that was a false premise. Despite the dimmed cabin lights passengers were permitted to have their overhead reading lights on which of course permitted them to read the emergency card in the back of the seats but which neatly destroyed any night vision adaption for passenger evacuation.
Notwithstanding the pilots had no night vision anyway due to the glare of runway lights and landing lights. Talk about inconsistency as far as the realities of night adaption was concerned.

Compare that with the serious business of night vision in WW2 where night fighter pilots wore dark glasses in dimly lit flight crew rooms so they would be night vision adapted in case of a scramble at night.

Then a certain South Pacific airline started a policy of turning the cabin lights to dim for all take off and landings because it was considered a good idea so the cabin crew would not forget to dim them at night even though that was a total waste of time since passengers wearing glasses could often not be able to read the safety card without the lights being bright and some could not focus where the exit doors or windows were at night unless cabin lights were bright.

Fast forward to now, apparently where cabin lights are dimmed or even turned off for daylight causing inconsistencies of light coming through passenger windows but the ceiling in shadow.

So what is the real reason why cabin lights are dimmed for departure and arrival? If it is for night adaption in case of evacuation, then cabin staff are not allowed to say because that might alarm the passengers. So the excuse is given it is to enjoy the city lights. But how about lights dimmed in daytime? There are no city lights to enjoy. The whole policy is sheer nonsense - a myth from war movies where night adaption was a pilot thing and you need at least 30 minutes of total darkness to get night:ok: adapted.:ok:

mickjoebill
13th Jun 2017, 07:53
Despite the dimmed cabin lights passengers were permitted to have their overhead reading lights on which of course permitted them to read the emergency card in the back of the seats but which neatly destroyed any night vision adaption for passenger evacuation.

Dimming lights eliminates reflections so it is easier to see out the window.
In daylight hours it makes very little difference.
I've written before that policies and procedures are not factoring the prolific use of cellphones and tablets.
Passengers are pointing cellphone flashlights into each other's eyes during evacuations because the cabin lights are dimmed.

Mjb

morno
13th Jun 2017, 08:59
These are the big issues at the moment hey. Mustn't be much happening in Australia.

over_centre
13th Jun 2017, 10:04
They'll try as best as they can to keep you in the dark!

Capt Fathom
13th Jun 2017, 11:45
FFS! They are just lights. Does it matter if they're on or off?

neville_nobody
13th Jun 2017, 12:14
I think his point is more the PA rather than the policy. Why not just turn the lights down and say nothing?

Some airlines seem obsessed with jamming as many PA's into your flight as humanly possible.

Chris2303
13th Jun 2017, 14:38
Even better why even turn them on??

edi_local
13th Jun 2017, 19:29
I think his point is more the PA rather than the policy. Why not just turn the lights down and say nothing?

Some airlines seem obsessed with jamming as many PA's into your flight as humanly possible.

Because someone, somewhere will say "I was distressed when the cabin crew turned off the lights without warning and this ruined my journey, I expect a full refund..."

For the record EI Regional did this to me the other day on EDI-DUB at about 5pm. Still broad daylight outside, but the cabin lights were dimmed and an announcement was made too. Same again for landing.

SandyPalms
13th Jun 2017, 21:45
Who gives a s&&t!

GA Driver
14th Jun 2017, 01:36
It could be worse, it could be the cabin lights on high beam for night flights. Oh wait.... if you're in row 1-3 you'lll get that extra service anyway! The cabin crew are told to leave the galley lights and L1 door lights on all night regardless.

jonkster
14th Jun 2017, 02:45
Sounds totally unacceptable.

Why passengers put up with such hardships beggars belief.

http://www.stinsonflyer.com/prop/idc2-02.jpg

Ski Guru
14th Jun 2017, 02:55
I think the important information in this tale is the "overseas" nature of the captain.

Do you not understand? No ordinary captain. But an Overseas Captain!

The Green Goblin
14th Jun 2017, 03:59
I think the important information in this tale is the "overseas" nature of the captain.

Do you not understand? No ordinary captain. But an Overseas Captain!

Yes, I suppose Bathurst Island is considered 'oversea'. There is also captain on the weight and balance propaganda of most Cessna POHs so, I suppose two and two right?

Ida down
14th Jun 2017, 04:31
Who gives a s&&t!Not me. Turn your own light on, if you are that desperate. Its not all that hard.

cogwheel
14th Jun 2017, 20:58
It used to be that the lights were on below transition so that aircraft were more easily visible when on approach or departure - lots of windows showing lights. At the time that was considered a safety issue, but the high payers up front complained........